Sign in to follow this  
Mark101

HSBC vs. Santander

To give you an idea, I have business banking with all 3

santander - quick opening service, telephone banking and internet banking only but can pay cash in via post office

hsbc - who my car dealership is with. 2 months to open accoun due to their incompetence- can pay cash in over counter. But overall useless.

Barclays by far the best, quick opening service 5-7 days, staff are excellent - online banking is awesome and staff are excellent - can withdraw £2000 cash from inside bank. 

Barclays rock

My mum, who was in her late 70's when this happened bless her, was asked whilst waiting in Sainsbury if she wanted to use the self service checkout. 

She replied by asking the manager if he was going to give her staff discount on her shopping as she would be putting it through herself! 

• Like 2

On 5/18/2018 at 8:15 PM, NOACROSS said:

Nat West (the wife works for them). Hate. Can’t do enough not to help.

Argh we hated them too. Was possibly the most frustrating bank to deal with and our business manager was a complete muppet.

We're with Clydesdale now, much, much better. 

30 minutes ago, Frankieola said:

My mum, who was in her late 70's when this happened bless her, was asked whilst waiting in Sainsbury if she wanted to use the self service checkout. 

She replied by asking the manager if he was going to give her staff discount on her shopping as she would be putting it through herself! 

That’s what we forget! We’re making someone jobless and making the whole thing more faceless everytime we use those machines - good on her for her comment.

• Like 1

Using those self serve checkouts makes you realise just how skilled the staff are at getting items scanned- it takes me ages! and why do t**ts with full trolleys think its a good idea to use them? they're there for people who have picked up a sandwich and a bag of crisps, not a weekly shop!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Reid said:

Using those self serve checkouts makes you realise just how skilled the staff are at getting items scanned- it takes me ages! and why do t**ts with full trolleys think its a good idea to use them? they're there for people who have picked up a sandwich and a bag of crisps, not a weekly shop!!!

Don't get me started on supermarkets. Although I think the days of going to the supermarket are numbered. They want you to order online and have it delivered. That way they don't have to provide parking, heating, toilets etc. The supermarket will become a logistics hub for local delivery vans, sparsely manned. It's the future of retail and lets be honest the banks have already started down this road.

But the retail boffins have obviously decided that employing humans is a barrier to 'profit'. Again, worrying?

3 hours ago, met said:

Don't get me started on supermarkets. Although I think the days of going to the supermarket are numbered. They want you to order online and have it delivered. That way they don't have to provide parking, heating, toilets etc. The supermarket will become a logistics hub for local delivery vans, sparsely manned. It's the future of retail and lets be honest the banks have already started down this road.

But the retail boffins have obviously decided that employing humans is a barrier to 'profit'. Again, worrying?

With no jobs left the liberals might take over and give us all a Universal Basic Income to take up painting and group Kumbaya chanting.

5 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

With no jobs left the liberals might take over and give us all a Universal Basic Income to take up painting and group Kumbaya chanting.

I'm good to go, I can play guitar and paint!:D

1 hour ago, met said:

I'm good to go, I can play guitar and paint!:D

I'd give up tomorrow mate. I play too. Fancy starting a band? We could call ourselves The Broken Beetles or The Rolling Stilos... :lol:

• Like 1

On 18/05/2018 at 4:29 PM, Mark101 said:

On 28th March I applied for a business account with HSBC.  Having chased every week, they said you just have to wait, there's a backlog and 5-7 working days will see you up and running.  Still nothing as of today 18th May.

I contact Santander, 1 hour later, account open, debit card en route, account number supplied and we're off and running.

Unbeliveable!

We had the same when opening, HSBC, Barclays and Natwest all wanted blood, DNA and shoe size....Santander were helpful and totally efficient

On 19/05/2018 at 0:59 PM, Matt Reid said:

i'm with Barclays too, but to avoid commission charges pay it into your personal account and then transfer it over. It's what I do and the staff on the counter couldnt care less.

I opened up an active saver account to avoid the excessive fees then just transfer over same as you 

On 19/05/2018 at 0:59 PM, Matt Reid said:

i................... the staff on the counter couldnt care less.

If my local bank is anything to go by they don't. Great conversation heard in my bank while queuing,

"can I ..................?"
"no sir!"
"why not?"
"because that would be fraud sir!"
"but what if I........?" Etc, etc

:D

Also, am I the only one that seems to regularly get caught waiting at the cash till why someone tries about 10 different cards?:rolleyes:

All the banks appear to be hard work now,so I opened a personal current account at Virgin Money.Just the same,one day I go in and request them to transfer current account money into a new deposit account.I was told no,you must make an appointment and bring proofs of address,photo ID and utility bills.I refused and told them I did not like being treated like a money launderer,they have known me for several years and the money being used they already had...I was asked to wait for a while before they  said they would do it......Then I was told,this is the account we recommend,it is called....wait for it....the Manchester United account and earns zero/nowt per cent etc.( well that’s normal) I said no thank you and I needed to know who came up Manchester Utd  so I could complain.I wait awhile more until they offer to set up a non Manchester Utd account.I subsequently complained to customer services but  they never replied.....you cannot make it up !

A friend of mine's wife had a problem with her bank. She went to the counter and told them the issue. The cashier summoned over a colleague who said "Would you like to come into my office to talk about it?" She replied "No I'm quite happy to do it here, and I'm sure the other customers waiting would like to see how good you are at handling issues" Needless to say she got the resolution she wanted.

Typically, Santander opened my account within 1 hour and I am already using it.  Today HSBC tells me that my account is now open (2 months and 1 day after application submitted).

Do I keep both accounts (is there a benefit?) or do I kick one of them in to touch - HSBC being the most likely as they were appauling at opening the account.

Having 1 will make life easier as its less to look at and so may keep your accountancy etc costs lower. Cant think of any significant benefits to having 2 unless you were looking to have 2 banks which 'know you' and giving you more scope to use credit lines etc

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Typically, Santander opened my account within 1 hour and I am already using it.  Today HSBC tells me that my account is now open (2 months and 1 day after application submitted).

Do I keep both accounts (is there a benefit?) or do I kick one of them in to touch - HSBC being the most likely as they were appauling at opening the account.

I can think of occasions when we have been dropped in by our bank and it would have been good to have had an account elsewhere to turn to.

On 19/05/2018 at 1:02 PM, Mojo121 said:

I’ve done this for sometime. I do wonder sometimes whether I might get picked up on it, I opened a separate account solely for that purpose. Shows a lot of cash flowing through a personal account but I suppose there’s a legitimate reason.

I got pulled up on this ( my own fault ) as Santander started charging me 1% for paying in cash. I'd stick it in my personal HSBC account and the transfer it over - been doing it 2 years and then I get a call from HSBC about excessive cash deposits. I went and paid £8500 in one day and should really have split it up over a week or so. Anything over £5k alerts them and they looked into all my previous cash deposits and warned me I was in breach of my personal banking conditions 9 somewhere deep within those booklets they send you out every 6 months or so ) they then sent me a shitty letter saying basically if i did it again they'd cancel my account. So I just suck it up and try to take as little cash as possible.

7 minutes ago, Mat C said:

I got pulled up on this ( my own fault ) as Santander started charging me 1% for paying in cash. I'd stick it in my personal HSBC account and the transfer it over - been doing it 2 years and then I get a call from HSBC about excessive cash deposits. I went and paid £8500 in one day and should really have split it up over a week or so. Anything over £5k alerts them and they looked into all my previous cash deposits and warned me I was in breach of my personal banking conditions 9 somewhere deep within those booklets they send you out every 6 months or so ) they then sent me a shitty letter saying basically if i did it again they'd cancel my account. So I just suck it up and try to take as little cash as possible.

If you pay Ltd company takings into your personal bank account,if HMRC spot this,they will do you and tax you.It does not matter that the takings are then being forwarded to the company bank account......It could trigger an enquiry and you don’t want one of them.....ask your accountant.

2 minutes ago, Mat C said:

Never liked the HSBC....

If you are SE they can't moan, its different if you are a Company. (me thinks) I could be wrong :) 

I still have a HSBC account that is laid dormant but I’ve kept it open just in case.

Tbh they’re a pain in the backside to deal with, many cash deposits were queried, they used to have one of the smallest card machine withdrawal limits, the small business advisors seemed to know little about running a business and don’t expect to withdraw any amount over your card limit at the counter. I once had the temerity to withdraw £5000 of my own money without notice - I had to complete a form & then the cashier had to get the manager’s approval.

I’ve been with the LloydsTSB & ended up with the TSB when the bank split. I don’t need much out of a bank, just to deposit & occasionally withdraw money unhindered. The TSB’s great as far as I’m concerned and the once or twice I’ve made a large withdrawal this has been done immediately without issue. 

1 hour ago, BHM said:

I still have a HSBC account that is laid dormant but I’ve kept it open just in case.

Tbh they’re a pain in the backside to deal with, many cash deposits were queried, they used to have one of the smallest card machine withdrawal limits, the small business advisors seemed to know little about running a business and don’t expect to withdraw any amount over your card limit at the counter. I once had the temerity to withdraw £5000 of my own money without notice - I had to complete a form & then the cashier had to get the manager’s approval.

I’ve been with the LloydsTSB & ended up with the TSB when the bank split. I don’t need much out of a bank, just to deposit & occasionally withdraw money unhindered. The TSB’s great as far as I’m concerned and the once or twice I’ve made a large withdrawal this has been done immediately without issue. 

if you think the tsb is great then dont read sundays past sunday times

51 minutes ago, chief runnin bee said:

if you think the tsb is great then dont read sundays past sunday times

:lol: I know they’ve had problems recently but I can only speak as I find.