Sign in to follow this  
Mark101

Test Drives

What is it all about.

When I want a new car (a personal car) - I go and look at the few I have heavily pre-filtered  - discount the ones which don't match the description closely enough and if I like what I see (to the point I will make an offer), request a test drive but only at that point.

This week I have had someone look at my Q7, fall in love with it (I think this is going well) and ask for a test drive.  At this point I know the car is perfect and a real pleasure to drive, so for me it's in the bag - he says I'm off to talk to my wife and will come back to you - that was Wednesday. He was not like the stereotypical tyre kicker either, a mature college lecturer whom insisted I called him Mr (despite me saying, good afternoon, I'm Mark)

Another came today to look at my BMW Convertible - said it was the tidiest one he has seen and could he go for a quick spin.  I grab the plates and off we go, he can't believe how well it drives - get's out and says, can I call you? because I am off to see a hatchback of the same model.

How do people have the nerve to do that?

My blood is boiling....

• Like 1

Imagine working in a women’s clothes shop, u stack everything nicely then chav chicks come in mess your display up try everything on take it home for a night out then return it next day.... 

2 minutes ago, whitestone679231 said:

Imagine working in a women’s clothes shop, u stack everything nicely then chav chicks come in mess your display up try everything on take it home for a night out then return it next day.... 

Great analogy to be fair (and ironically, my old man owned clothes shops before he retired and he used to moan about that very thing).

Back to our trade: In my eyes though, the risk is my insurance, the vehicle, the possible re-clean, fuel but most of all my precious time and how do people even have the brass neck to walk off - surely unless it drives like a dog during the test drive what is going on?  This is the reason I don't sell cars that attract boy racers and test pilots - thought I'd have this nonsense covered.

I am considering changing my tack, what do you think, reasonable?

Customer:  Can I have a test drive?

Me: Yes sir, I welcome test drives and/or any other inspection but only after we have agreed a sale (subject to car performing as expected)

15 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

What is it all about.

When I want a new car (a personal car) - I go and look at the few I have heavily pre-filtered  - discount the ones which don't match the description closely enough and if I like what I see (to the point I will make an offer), request a test drive but only at that point.

This week I have had someone look at my Q7, fall in love with it (I think this is going well) and ask for a test drive.  At this point I know the car is perfect and a real pleasure to drive, so for me it's in the bag - he says I'm off to talk to my wife and will come back to you - that was Wednesday. He was not like the stereotypical tyre kicker either, a mature college lecturer whom insisted I called him Mr (despite me saying, good afternoon, I'm Mark)

Another came today to look at my BMW Convertible - said it was the tidiest one he has seen and could he go for a quick spin.  I grab the plates and off we go, he can't believe how well it drives - get's out and says, can I call you? because I am off to see a hatchback of the same model.

My blood is boiling....

to slow the process down what steps do you undertake to confirm they are legally allowed to drive your car

i assume you have accompanied test drive insurance

if you are letting them at the wheel and not taking basic details off them then there is a possibly they might be getting a speeding ticket

so use the form filling to cut out the tyre kickers

easy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, s and b said:

to slow the process down what steps do you undertake to confirm they are legally allowed to drive your car

i assume you have accompanied test drive insurance

if you are letting them at the wheel and not taking basic details off them then there is a possibly they might be getting a speeding ticket

so use the form filling to cut out the tyre kickers

easy

Brilliant idea and checking driving licence has crossed my mind - yes, I have all the right insurances and admit I am stupidly taking a risk when it comes to "trusting" the buyer to own a licence.

I really appreciate that input re: the form.  I am going to create one first thing tomorrow - thanks s and b - great piece of advice.

One of the the first questions I ask people when they ring is to ask where they are in their car buying journey. Have they tried other makes, are they set on xyz or have they kept an open mind etc. It gives me a clue what to expect. Some people are ready to buy some are not. 

I try to avoid the “we are just in the area trying cars” brigade as you know they aren’t ready. 

• Like 1

ME=

"test drive is no problem, i have trade plates and insurance for that, i can assure you it drives spot on but just one important question so that we don't waste each others time [ mine;)] are you willing to leave a deposit on it when we come back ? "

them=

"gotta have a word with the wife"

"three more to look at"

"need to check insurance"

fo :)

• Like 2

I usually sell off the standard steel wheels off Transporters after replacing with posh alloys. Stick them on Gumtree/eBay/Facebook. £80 gets your 4 x T5 wheels with decent usable tyres. 

Local Chap rings me up, comes to the unit, Spends 20 minutes forensically inspecting each tyre/wheel. Then went away to think about it!!  WTF I did laugh out loud. He stayed pan faced

To be fair he did come back a few hours later, clearly this was such a huge decision as whether of not to spend £20 a corner!   

13 hours ago, Mark101 said:

What is it all about.

My blood is boiling....

Mature college lecturer ?

13 hours ago, whitestone679231 said:

With make up all over.......wife had a ladies clothes shop.

3 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Mature college lecturer ?

?

4 hours ago, Mark101 said:

?

Hi Mark.....I have always found academics to be awfull slow punters.Nice people,very polite and proper but not in the real world,usually lacking in common sense aswell.I have never seen an academic with a Q7 probably because they are not PC.Volvo estates or Audi Avants yes.If you did manage to do a deal with this guy,his money would probably be tied up in some ISA or similar and you would not get paid  for a while.However the type of college lecturer types I like usually do bricklaying or joinery and they are usually from the real world and are streetwise.......I have known quite a few college academics and outside of college they often struggle with the most basic things in life....So a mature college lecturer viewing my stock would get little encouragement from me.

Oh now I see what you mean - I thought I had made a typo lol.

He turned up in a Land Cruiser, so don't think he was PC at all in that respect - I just found it weird that he never called himself be his christian name, I would find it very uncomfortable someone keep calling me Mr, I would say call me Mark.

He may come back, who knows - stranger things have happened and I think you're right about  teaching types being "out of water."

What's the saying.... People who can = do, people who can't = teach

Waiting for an onslaught from all the forumites whom are related to those in the teaching profession - it doesn't apply to them, they have been toughened up by their motor trade exposure lol

Edited by Mark101
Loads of Fuck Ups, shouldn't have slated the teachers lol

I saw a trader who had been in the game years post something on a forum once along the lines of in this job you get paid to have your time wasted. Paid very well most of the time. After that he stopped carrying anger around and being annoyed by time waster types.

I must say it struck a chord with me and I am probably the same now. Most who I qualify for a drive buy, somedays if its quiet I call it in the office and say this one will drive it and then vanish off never to be seen and tend to be right. Not the end of the world sometimes the brakes need a good clean off and the cars need a run.

19 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Great analogy to be fair (and ironically, my old man owned clothes shops before he retired and he used to moan about that very thing).

Back to our trade: In my eyes though, the risk is my insurance, the vehicle, the possible re-clean, fuel but most of all my precious time and how do people even have the brass neck to walk off - surely unless it drives like a dog during the test drive what is going on?  This is the reason I don't sell cars that attract boy racers and test pilots - thought I'd have this nonsense covered.

I am considering changing my tack, what do you think, reasonable?

Customer:  Can I have a test drive?

Me: Yes sir, I welcome test drives and/or any other inspection but only after we have agreed a sale (subject to car performing as expected)

We usually just grab the trade plates and go for a drive, but recently so many messers recently we are asking a lot of questions.

A perfect example this morning, opening up a fella is all over a ford ranger we have he says can I take it out I love it.

yes no problem come inside just need to grab some details from you, name address usual. then I ask him his budget. this is way over what he has, he is not vat reg either so he didn't understand he has to pay the vat on top plus, after explaining there is no discount on this car and you've already told me you cant spend that amount nor can you pay the vat.

he still insists he wants to take it out. I just flat out asked him what would be the point ? you wont be buying you've told me........ his answer well I might buy one elsewhere but I need to know how they drive !!!!

usually would have driven this guy no questions asked but now no chance.

Edited by Dan W

I find it far better not to get into a confrontation and let them drive it, and then let them down if they want to negotiate etc...

Like has already been said, its good to give them a run and blow the cobwebs off them.

I’d rather give my cars a run out myself than give some time wasting chancer the satisfaction of using up my time, fuel & potential risk to my clean trade insurance.

DanW did absolutely the correct thing - I’m certainly not here to supply free entertainment for the ‘Champagne taste, lemonade money’ brigade.

Some punters seem to think they have the right to browse & test drive to their heart’s content yet clearly aren’t in a position to deal. They get miffed when they’re turned away. 

• Like 1

We have always found the customers who get angry and offended when we refuse to allow them a test drive are those who have no intention of buying. They just want to test a particular model probably before they make a 60 mile trip to buy one £250 cheaper elsewhere. These sorts really annoy me as they are happy to waste your time but god forbid you refuse to let them go down the road and have made them waste a 5 minute trip out from home! 

Genuine customers who are out to buy do not get on their high horse when you ask if they are prepared to purchase the car if the car drives without fault as it is a fair question.

24 minutes ago, James01 said:

We have always found the customers who get angry and offended when we refuse to allow them a test drive are those who have no intention of buying. They just want to test a particular model probably before they make a 60 mile trip to buy one £250 cheaper elsewhere. These sorts really annoy me as they are happy to waste your time but god forbid you refuse to let them go down the road and have made them waste a 5 minute trip out from home! 

Genuine customers who are out to buy do not get on their high horse when you ask if they are prepared to purchase the car if the car drives without fault as it is a fair question.

i was just thinking

most of my customers dont even want a drive they know they want what i have and trust me to deliver the full package, its really nice to be trusted, its so much easier when you have a product that sells

i always insist on a test drive as my invoice makes them sign that they have been on one

the only time i let a customer off a test drive in the last 2 years was because he insisted he didnt want one, only to come back two minutes later saying there was a noise,turned out the front discs had rust on them having been parked up overnight after a proper wash

I have a different problem as we aim for first time drivers you know C1 clio fiesta punto low insurance cheap to fix kinda kit, well we got a lot of parents turn up who want to test drive the car to make sure its safe and sound for there young ones / brats, i dont blame then one bit i am sure i will do the same, the problem i get is when some 50+ year old pulls up in his brand new 5 series BMW and test drives a Toyota Aygo he gets out all shaken up complains the brakes are poor the car rattles and shakes and its very slow.

I dont even try and defend the car any more i have have given up its a £2500 Toyota not a £65000 BMW you space cadet rant over they all drive like a wheel barrow.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, James01 said:

Here! Here!

1 hour ago, justina3 said:

I have a different problem as we aim for first time drivers you know C1 clio fiesta punto low insurance cheap to fix kinda kit, well we got a lot of parents turn up who want to test drive the car to make sure its safe and sound for there young ones / brats, i dont blame then one bit i am sure i will do the same, the problem i get is when some 50+ year old pulls up in his brand new 5 series BMW and test drives a Toyota Aygo he gets out all shaken up complains the brakes are poor the car rattles and shakes and its very slow.

I dont even try and defend the car any more i have have given up its a £2500 Toyota not a £65000 BMW you space cadet rant over they all drive like a wheel barrow.

I had that same thing a couple of weeks ago. 

Bloke arrives with his daughter who’s yet to pass her test so he takes the demo drive. They arrived in a late cayenne S. During the test drive he makes some comment about a lack of torque in the engine, what were they interested in? A limited edition 1.6 petrol Mini. Lack of torque! We then happen to drive past a 458 Speciale just up the road from me which he leaps upon the opportunity to tell me he has one as well  

So his daily drive is a v8 jeep and his weekend toy is a v12 supercar. No wonder the Mini seems underpowered sir. 

He did at least buy the Mini. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justina3 said:

Get plenty of that ourselves. Nothing more irritating because however nice a 3k car is it'll never meet their expectations. I usually suggest they need to spend 10k upwards for something more befitting knowing full well they haven't actually got a pot to piss in and wave them goodbye as they climb back into their shiny company car/PCP nightmare.

3 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

Get plenty of that ourselves. Nothing more irritating because however nice a 3k car is it'll never meet their expectations. I usually suggest they need to spend 10k upwards for something more befitting knowing full well they haven't actually got a pot to piss in and wave them goodbye as they climb back into their shiny company car/PCP nightmare.

The stench of finance on these cars is overpowering and the average potless cretin who gets out is laughable when they start the big man’s talk about money. These punters are never pound note men, always wanting to use their flexible friend. Hasta la vista, baby.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, justina3 said:

When I get the parent driving the aygo, fiesta etc, I always disarm them by saying halfway through ' I wont ask you if its nice to drive because I'm sure your car is nicer than this'. They know it wont be as good as their car, but a reminder does no harm

The only bad review we have is from a lovely chap whom we refused to let test drive a freelander we had. It was one of those cars that for whatever reason the phone was off the hook on it and had we had two appointments lined up on it that afternoon. The chap turns up unannounced with kids in toe and says he is interested in the car but wants to have a go in it to "see what it is like". I ask the gentleman if he likes how the car drives if he is in a position to purchase the car today.

"Well I dont know till I've driven it mate". 

"I appreciate that sir but if you do like it are you looking to make a purchase today?"

"Well it's the first one I've seen so I just want to drive it and then make a decision next week"

"Without being rude sir I have 2 appointments on the car this afternoon so unless you are ready to purchase it today there is no point in driving it as it will not be available for sale next week".

"So you expect someone to buy a car without driving it".

"Not at all sir. We ask that if you do get to the stage of test driving it you are ready to purchase the car if it drives without fault".

"Well I don't know until I've driven it".

This went on for about 10 minutes as it was clear he was just out for a spin in it. In the end he stormed off claiming he was going to buy a car elsewhere and left us a 1star review for wasting his time!

The car was sold to the first appointment a typical horse lady which is a whole other drama!