Sign in to follow this  
rich89

Anyone able to watch a car go through auction?

I can guess why this has happened...used to happen to us all the time when I worked at an auction house.

Punter enters an online commission bid. If the punters bid is then removed whilst the auction portal (the computer system the auctioneer is using) is loaded up and/or running and the auctioneer hasn't refreshed his portal recently it'll still show the cancelled commission bid and he'll take it. 

Happened every sale multiple times to us but it's an honest mistake. BCA should just accept it's a fault their end. They'll have a log of the cancelled bid so cannot wriggle out of it. 

The best one I saw was at another auction selling antiques. Guy left a £100.00 commission bid online but muddled up the .00 and they ran him to over 8k on something you could buy anywhere retail for £300...didn't look too suspect!

17 minutes ago, Earunder said:

Run rabbit run rabbit run run run.

Depends how much you rely on BCA.  We bought 70% of our stock from BCA last year.  About 20% from Manheim, this year a little different but would I risk closing my account?  No!  Have I been put in a position to close the account?  No!  

It depends what your account level is if I'm being honest as BCA wouldn't give a to$$ about any legal action as they'll just drag the proceedings and make it cost you a fortune in court and solicitor fees.  How do I know?  It's what I would do.  If you're not at least a Platinum suck it up or try as I said above and pretty much ask for mercy and forgiveness.  Don't get angry or mad as that won't get you anywhere with them, just explain your case in a positive and merciful way.
Sad but true.

Hi Earunder

We took BCA to the small claims court over a warranted mileage fsh Leaseplan Peugeot which our customer proved had been clocked by 20k.He had it for several months,so we had to keep him happy.BCA did not want to know when we requested a partial refund.So we sued them for the partial refund but loaded our claim with all sorts of expenses or consequential damages.Seeing the damning evidence,the judge ticked off the BCA guy,our full claim was accepted and we got well paid........The BCA guy was a good bloke and he admitted afterwards that they get many claims on any given day.He implied that because of their potential cost and also the cost of their own time taken to deal with them,company policy fobbing off traders was more cost effective.

So in a dispute,don’t be deterred from going to the small claims court with BCA .However,you must apply the correspondence rules giving notice correctly when making your claim prior to the hearing.

11 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Hi Earunder

We took BCA to the small claims court over a warranted mileage fsh Leaseplan Peugeot which our customer proved had been clocked by 20k.He had it for several months,so we had to keep him happy.BCA did not want to know when we requested a partial refund.So we sued them for the partial refund but loaded our claim with all sorts of expenses or consequential damages.Seeing the damning evidence,the judge ticked off the BCA guy,our full claim was accepted and we got well paid........The BCA guy was a good bloke and he admitted afterwards that they get many claims on any given day.He implied that because of their potential cost and also the cost of their own time taken to deal with them,company policy fobbing off traders was more cost effective.

So in a dispute,don’t be deterred from going to the small claims court with BCA .However,you must apply the correspondence rules giving notice correctly when making your claim prior to the hearing.

In that instance I'm 100% with you.  That's a no brainer, a solid guaranteed win and I would have done the same in your position.  As to why BCA didn't settle that just insanely stupid and I'm sure someone got an absolute bollocking / sacking over it.  But as for a proxy bid online, as in this case, that's a different story entirely.

14 minutes ago, Earunder said:

In that instance I'm 100% with you.  That's a no brainer, a solid guaranteed win and I would have done the same in your position.  As to why BCA didn't settle that just insanely stupid and I'm sure someone got an absolute bollocking / sacking over it.  But as for a proxy bid online, as in this case, that's a different story entirely.

I can assure you this policy has not changed.As for proxy bids,seeing what Grant has explained,that must be a big help.

11 minutes ago, tradex said:

Do we trust proxy (poxy) bids no,  Paddock Wood. 

That's all you needed to say.  Really Really dislike PW.  Always running things, always cars with problems, always have hassle and the yard is a mess. Bought a Bentley from there, glowing green across the board.  Just had it returned after 3 weeks due to electrical issues, no interior fans and it failing to start as soon as it was delivered.  Don't know how much it cost BCA to repair but it was away for such a long time I thought we were going to get a refund.  Never used such a unprofessional AH.

8 minutes ago, Earunder said:

That's all you needed to say.  Really Really dislike PW.  Always running things, always cars with problems, always have hassle and the yard is a mess. Bought a Bentley from there, glowing green across the board.  Just had it returned after 3 weeks due to electrical issues, no interior fans and it failing to start as soon as it was delivered.  Don't know how much it cost BCA to repair but it was away for such a long time I thought we were going to get a refund.  Never used such a unprofessional AH.

Bedford are worse, but necessary.
Don't get me started

3 minutes ago, twerp said:

Bedford are worse, but necessary.
Don't get me started

Ohhh I love a day out to Bedford... Always found their staff quite helpful, especially the young lady in the key office / yard.  They do a lovely Chilli sometimes :D

Blackbushe Cafe is the best Breakfast.  Plus I do like their bland and un spicy chicken curry with rice and chips on occasion haha.  Since their front desk staff walk out they've been a bloody nightmare though.  

Edited by Earunder
  • Like 1

I heard a rumour that Alphabet cars are to be avoided, this was one of them. Never again.

4 Year old 320D

On collection, I found a Manheim auction entry sheet from 3 months earlier in the middle of the service books....

Despite a rosy AA report, the car had a blown turbo and an EML- they refused to acknowledge and insisted on a further 2 x 20 mile AA tests showed the car to be fine.

I even brought my own fault scanner and dragged the branch manager out to observe and they refused to do anything.

6 Months later I got £200 in goodwill of a Platinum account.

Still, they've got the volume..

Edited by twerp
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, twerp said:

I heard a rumour that Alphabet cars are to be avoided, this was one of them. Never again.

4 Year old 320D

On collection, I found a Manheim auction entry sheet from 3 months earlier in the middle of the service books....

Despite a rosy AA report, the car had a blown turbo and an EML- they refused to acknowledge and insisted on a further 2 x 20 mile AA tests showed the car to be fine.

I even brought my own fault scanner and dragged the branch manager out to observe and they refused to do anything.

6 Months later I got £200 in goodwill of a Platinum account.

Still, they've got the volume..

Ah yeah we've had similar with Bedford, only once though.  Audi A6, white 63 plate clutch was hanging.  Drove to the gate, parked it, took the keys to the front desk and said no thanks.  Left it with them as the manager wasn't available to see me.  Didn't hear anything but got a cheque on the 5th day for the full amount less the Report fee.  Still didn't get a phone call to say they were taking it back.

I think I'm letting their chilli make up for their shortcomings haha 

Can't remember a prob with Alphabet tbh.  Touch wood, don't start now :D

Edited by Earunder

I bought a C63 from Bedford.

Reports couldn't have been any better.

Got there to pick it up, started it up, into gear and the bloody thing wouldn't move. 

Went back to the desk and some random guy in a high vis went to look at it. Told me the callipers have seized and they'll be refunding me. 

I asked them to repair it and deliver it to me when it's ready as I really wanted the car. Apparently Bedfords policy is that they don't repair anything, they just refund and ship it off to another site.

Week later the car appeared at BB and went for a grand more than what I paid. 

42 minutes ago, rich89 said:

I bought a C63 from Bedford.

Reports couldn't have been any better.

Got there to pick it up, started it up, into gear and the bloody thing wouldn't move. 

Went back to the desk and some random guy in a high vis went to look at it. Told me the callipers have seized and they'll be refunding me. 

I asked them to repair it and deliver it to me when it's ready as I really wanted the car. Apparently Bedfords policy is that they don't repair anything, they just refund and ship it off to another site.

Week later the car appeared at BB and went for a grand more than what I paid. 

The problem we have is because we are many miles away,buy on line,then get them collected a couple of days later,by the time we see them,it can be 5 days after the sale.Currently our guys are in dispute about an AA assured 15 plater which requires major surgery.Opening fob off,a new one,it is out of time being more than 2 days after the sale...Game on !

43 minutes ago, trade vet said:

The problem we have is because we are many miles away,buy on line,then get them collected a couple of days later,by the time we see them,it can be 5 days after the sale.Currently our guys are in dispute about an AA assured 15 plater which requires major surgery.Opening fob off,a new one,it is out of time being more than 2 days after the sale...Game on !

It's always been 48 hours after you collect or it's been delivered. Their useless transport debt can take a week for us to deliver a car 80 miles away. 

I certainly wouldn't be buying from a distance if that was the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rich89 said:

It's always been 48 hours after you collect or it's been delivered. Their useless transport debt can take a week for us to deliver a car 80 miles away. 

I certainly wouldn't be buying from a distance if that was the case.

They were saying 48 hours after the sale !

Definitely 48 hours after collection or delivery. We get stuff regularly online, delivered or collected a week later and no issues when ringing up for claims within the 48 hour period.

6 hours ago, DHill said:

Definitely 48 hours after collection or delivery. We get stuff regularly online, delivered or collected a week later and no issues when ringing up for claims within the 48 hour period.

Yep 100%. I’ve bought a car, paid for it 4 days later, had it collected 4 days after that (got charged storage) and made a complaint a day after it was collected. 

• Like 1

Has anyone made a BCA Claim since 12th March when the team “moved location” as I’ve been fobbed off with that line ever since I picked up a Yaris from PW that looks like it’s been painted by my 3 year old neice 

On 29/03/2018 at 5:20 PM, rich89 said:

Surely it is illegal?? 

Whilst I agree you don't have to bid any higher I've seen a lot of cars go through where a car hasn't met the reserve and all of the sudden there are loads of hall bids just as someone online puts a bid in. 

An auctioneer is legally allowed to submit bids on behalf of the vendor UP TO THE RESERVE, however I believe it is illegal above the reserve.

Personally I’d outlaw if but I suspect it’s been legal for hundreds of years - perhaps someone knows the date?

On 3/29/2018 at 1:25 PM, Mark101 said:

£19,500 NOT SOLD

According to BCA (they've just rang me) there wasn't a single bid on it on the 29th and it sold today for £19k so they're saying I owe them £1500.

5 hours ago, rich89 said:

According to BCA (they've just rang me) there wasn't a single bid on it on the 29th and it sold today for £19k so they're saying I owe them £1500.

I hope you are going to take them on,don’t let them get away with it,get in first before they withdraw your account.Sue them through the small claims court,that would involve the vendor and they would have to produce the entry form and they would also have to prove their online system is foolproof.

5 hours ago, tradex said:

Yup. 

i had similar years ago,i bought a car at auction gave it the full monty and had it all ready to retail when the auction house rang me up and said they had made a mistake and can i call in with another $500 i explained no but they were insistent so my only recourse was to never go there again

they went bust soon afterwards,i like to think i did my bit:D

22 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

they will suspend the acount ASAP

Aye; which I imagine will cost Rich more than £1500. Terrible predicament to be in.

45 minutes ago, sparky said:

Aye; which I imagine will cost Rich more than £1500. Terrible predicament to be in.

Yes and even if you opened a new account you'd have to buy a dozen 'bangers' to get back to gold, which again will cost you more than the £1500?

Personally, if the loss of the account meant my business suffering in the long term I'd just pay up. Yes, principles are involved but it's business not a gentlemens club.

42 minutes ago, sparky said:

Rich could ask BCA if they would accept his payment of £1500 ‘Under Protest’.I am unsure how they could refuse, but it would allow him to keep his account.He could then go ahead and sue BCA through the Small Claims Court.

• Like 1