Sign in to follow this  
rich89

Anyone able to watch a car go through auction?

There's a car going through auction and i'm not able to view it online right now.

Is anyone currently watching auctions that could do me a favour (if it hasn't already gone through)

It's Harwoods lot 065 at enfield. Jag XFR.

Just want to know what the hammer price is.

Would really appreciate it.

Auction starts at 12.20 and your car is no.65 - so probably about 12.50 until that goes through

Great. If anyone is available and can watch it for me (I still won't be back in time) i'll owe them a beer!

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

£19,500 NOT SOLD

No way!!!  near enough CAP clean, IMO a car that should be well below book (£18,200 my guess)

I reckon they ran it up - I was watching on line and listening and it seemed very slow

Unless it’s mega desirable, it’ be well under book

8 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I reckon they ran it up - I was watching on line and listening and it seemed very slow

No interest 

exactly - auctioneer must have said for the first time,for the second time.....anyone, anyone Bueller, Bueller, Bueller, anyone, third and last time, anyone, anyone Beuller - NOT SOLD

• Like 1

Yeh i'm in dispute with them over this car.

I accidentally put in a proxy bid for it last week (was supposed to be the next lot) and promptly removed it. (It showed as removed).

When I got back to office, I checked a few other cars and saw I had won the Jag for £20,500!!! (magically that was my proxy bid for it)

These cars never go anywhere near cap clean so apart from the fact that I had removed the bid and never actually wanted the car, today has proven to me that last weeks auction was bull shit.

They want to charge me £150 restocking fee and pay whatever the difference is between my 'bid' and whatever the car went for in the next auction.

Proper pissed off with BCA.  

Oh and they also told me that they charge for all of this because they have to pay the vendor. There is no way in hell BCA pay the vendors before they get the money from the buyer. 

If they try and enforce this I will seek legal advice regarding running up auctions.

I watched one the other day, the hall was silent yet it quickly went up £700 and kept telling everyone online that they took the hall bid first.

Edited by rich89

3 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Unless it’s mega desirable, it should be well under book

Corrected :D

Even the undesirable stuff are being held to ransom.  All quite bizarre this year.  Not bought as many from BCA in the same period this year to last year.  About 60-70 down, Manheim about 30ish up and local purchases we're up a few.  Still need stock, but not overpaying for the sake of it.  Got a good number and a good stock atm so pretty content.

6 minutes ago, rich89 said:

Yeh i'm in dispute with them over this car.

I accidentally put in a proxy bid for it last week (was supposed to be the next lot) and promptly removed it. (It showed as removed).

When I got back to office, I checked a few other cars and saw I had won the Jag for £20,500!!! (magically that was my proxy bid for it)

These cars never go anywhere near cap clean so apart from the fact that I had removed the bid and never actually wanted the car, today has proven to me that last weeks auction was bull shit.

They want to charge me £150 restocking fee and pay whatever the difference is between my 'bid' and whatever the car went for in the next auction.

Proper pissed off with BCA.  

Removed bid is a removed bid.  You shouldn't have to pay anything as it's their error.  They have a tech team so surely they can check if it was removed.

£20,500 for that is insane!!!  In anyones book they must realize a mistake is there somewhere.

I take it you didn't get the car that was after?

No the bloody thing went for more. (No idea how much as I wasn't watching). 

I never normally do proxy bids but had a customer on it so knew I would sell it straight away so happy to pay that. 

I'd never buy an XFR. All you have to do is look at how long they have been for sale on AT and it's clear they aren't sought after cars.

Edited by rich89

11 minutes ago, rich89 said:

No the bloody thing went for more. (No idea how much as I wasn't watching). 

I never normally do proxy bids but had a customer on it so knew I would sell it straight away so happy to pay that. 

I'd never buy an XFR. All you have to do is look at how long they have been for sale on AT and it's clear they aren't sought after cars.

My query to them would be if it's going through the Harwood sale again they then surely haven't paid or told Harwoods about it or it would be from MultiVendor?

Good point. I just checked and it's now a buy it now at £20500. 

Doesn't seem very BCA of them to try and make sure I don't lose any money.

I'm just going to leave it alone and see what they say before I do anything. They told me they automatically sell the car again if it gets to £200 of my bid and anything less they will call me and ask what I want to do. 

Haven't heard from them so we will see. Hopefully they realise the mistake and leave me alone.

33 minutes ago, rich89 said:

If they try and enforce this I will seek legal advice regarding running up auctions.

I don't believe this is illegal - immoral, maybe...

On the basis that no-one is "forcing" you to buy, just in effect, asking for more money - you can always walk away.

It pisses us all off but that's life - the other option is that they don't run them up and they don't make reserve - still a crap situation.

Log every correspondence you had with them regarding your accidental Proxy - dates, times, emails, calls etc - you might just do ok.

Surely it is illegal?? 

Whilst I agree you don't have to bid any higher I've seen a lot of cars go through where a car hasn't met the reserve and all of the sudden there are loads of hall bids just as someone online puts a bid in. 

I really think it is NOT illegal - name an auction that doesn't do it.  If it were illegal, someone would have hanged by now

EDIT - TYPOS

Off the wall bids are normal and have been around for as long as I was going to the halls with my father many many moons ago.  Legal No, but it is normal practice.  There's no action you can take in that respect and I wouldn't want to bring that up and probably risk an account closure by doing so.

Wait for them to contact you about it and stress to them how adamant you are about you cancelling the proxy bid and there must have been an error on their system.  That's the best way you can go and hopefully they see sense and come around that it was a mistake, everyone makes a mistake, so they may well take an exception towards you and let you off.

If you get pi$$ed and argumentative, think of a decent way to sell your new XFR

Edited by Earunder
  • Like 2

This is a good one ! I can think of a couple of times I have been standing in the ring,been distracted and have bid and bought the wrong car.I have had to pay up each time.However it appears you may have to prove somehow that you cancelled your bid,I have no idea how.Alternatively,does this Jag fit in with the usual stuff you buy or your general business model.If it sticks out that it is definateley not your stock,take them on.According to their rules you cannot be trotted up beyond the reserve price to your proxybid.The BCA live online team should have a record of who bid against you and a recording of the bids shown on line which I think would turn to green when the reserve has been reached.Ask for as much information as you can before they suspend your account......Good Luck.

Sadly it is very much the sort of car we would buy. 

Price, engine, age etc but I wouldn't buy one purely because I know I won't be able to shift it quickly and certainly not if I was to retail it at something I could make a profit on. 

21 minutes ago, rich89 said:

Sadly it is very much the sort of car we would buy. 

Price, engine, age etc but I wouldn't buy one purely because I know I won't be able to shift it quickly and certainly not if I was to retail it at something I could make a profit on. 

OK...what I would do...email the on line team and ask them to provide details of both your bid and your cancelled bid.If they cannot,ask them to prove that they have not trotted bids beyond the reserve.As I understand BCA rules,this is prevented with proxy bids.They won’t do it of course,I imagine they did run it up.Then if they want to suspend your account,you can threaten to sue them for failing to supply the supporting data and loss of livelihood etc.....We tend to threaten BCA with court action several times per year now to get things done.Our guy just settled up one case and we are about to start another after a new line in their fob offs. With these people you have to fight them.

• Like 1

Do you guys "trust" the proxy bid?

I am a little concerned that the Auctioneer will trot me up to within a couple of quid of my proxy, knowing they have a figure whether anyone else is bidding or not.

I know they're not meant to according to rules but how can anyone prove it?

Good luck by the way re: overturning this situation Rich

2 hours ago, tradex said:

What pisses me off with BCA is how they treat their trade customers whom purchase untold £'s worth v civilians whom bid, win and then walk, repeatedly sometimes.

Enfield and Peterborough seem worse for this. If a trader did that, you  would be out on your arse quick time. 

That's a strange one though, we have withdrawn proxy bids and never had a drama. Did you withdraw after the sale of the lot had started, or previous day? 

It was in the morning of the sale. I knew I wasn't going to be around to bid so did the proxy bid. Realised it was the wrong car so cancelled it straight away. 

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

Run rabbit run rabbit run run run.

11 hours ago, trade vet said:

OK...what I would do...email the on line team and ask them to provide details of both your bid and your cancelled bid.If they cannot,ask them to prove that they have not trotted bids beyond the reserve.As I understand BCA rules,this is prevented with proxy bids.They won’t do it of course,I imagine they did run it up.Then if they want to suspend your account,you can threaten to sue them for failing to supply the supporting data and loss of livelihood etc.....We tend to threaten BCA with court action several times per year now to get things done.Our guy just settled up one case and we are about to start another after a new line in their fob offs. With these people you have to fight them.

Depends how much you rely on BCA.  We bought 70% of our stock from BCA last year.  About 20% from Manheim, this year a little different but would I risk closing my account?  No!  Have I been put in a position to close the account?  No!  

It depends what your account level is if I'm being honest as BCA wouldn't give a to$$ about any legal action as they'll just drag the proceedings and make it cost you a fortune in court and solicitor fees.  How do I know?  It's what I would do.  If you're not at least a Platinum suck it up or try as I said above and pretty much ask for mercy and forgiveness.  Don't get angry or mad as that won't get you anywhere with them, just explain your case in a positive and merciful way.
Sad but true.

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

I am a little concerned that the Auctioneer will trot me up to within a couple of quid of my proxy, knowing they have a figure whether anyone else is bidding or not.

I know they're not meant to according to rules but how can anyone prove it?

Good luck by the way re: overturning this situation Rich

In the event of a dispute,I am sure BCA are able to prove who has bid online and when.The majority of bidding for better stuff is now online.You can also request the video recording.However,as they usually refuse to cooperate,that helps Rich’s case.If they have run up proxy bids above the reserve,the sale is void as they have broken their own rules.