Sign in to follow this  
Mark101

Frustration

Being a re starter or new venture.  I am finding if it is not hard enough to buy stock, waiting for prep is driving me mad.

I have only amassed 6 cars so far and two of those are no advertised yet and I need them on (partly because I’m so keen to get cracking and partly because they are either costing me money or not earning me money).

The two BMW’s I bought - one with BCA having a speed sensor fixed and they are not pushing BMW very hard (have agreed to deliver it to me FoC)

the other is at the body shop for rear bumper scruff and trolley dinks in the drivers door.

My other 4 are 99% just need a wash but otherwise good to go - so I am left waiting.

cant wait to be stocked up and just replacing stock in ones and twos, building momentum.

hands are tied

Imagine being in the job a number of years and still having the same issues? My advice would be to get used to it and deal with it because it's only going to get worse.

Mark, it won’t get any easier. You just need a constant stream of new stock coming through. Logistics will be your biggest issue, moving stock from A2B and managing the garages. 

Everyone I know is complaining about the same thing.

Stocking will be the main issue for the next 3-4 years, as I see it. It'll definitely result in some casualties.

That was my point, if I can get to a dozen vehicles with say 2 of those at any one time going through prep, I would be happy.  Sourcing, collecting and prepping to ramp up is my frustration.

I like dealing with the garages and working on the added value, it is just getting over the hump and having enough ready to roll retail stock. The only other time this should happen is if I have an exceptional run of sales - that's a problem I can live with.

16 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

That was my point, if I can get to a dozen vehicles with say 2 of those at any one time going through prep, I would be happy.  Sourcing, collecting and prepping to ramp up is my frustration.

I like dealing with the garages and working on the added value, it is just getting over the hump and having enough ready to roll retail stock. The only other time this should happen is if I have an exceptional run of sales - that's a problem I can live with.

it would appear you are outsourcing everything from checking the cd works to cleaning the glass

be warned unless you use more than one source then it will be taken as red you are an easy touch, just like becoming a regular in the pub and being made to wait when a new face comes in and  gets served even though you are waiting 

just sayin

Set up your own workshop and set up your own bodyshop and then you don't need to wait around 

20 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Set up your own workshop and set up your own bodyshop and then you don't need to wait around 

23 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Been there done that - didn't work out - far too many overheads and still capacity issues when busy.

Happy to outsource and I appear to be front of queue and pricing wise, I am a very happy.  The second I feel someone's having my eyes out, I'm off.

i am just being impatient I guess

If you want to be successfull at this job,you only need to do half days.The key to this is you must work half days everyday of the week and the other 12 hours are yours !

• Like 1

Prep is a painful waiting game - but worthwhile. Having stuff 'ready to go' when the punters do arrive speeds your cashflow up, which is gret because then you can go and buy stuff again. Which needs prepping!!! 

I thi

2 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

Everyone I know is complaining about the same thing.

Stocking will be the main issue for the next 3-4 years, as I see it. It'll definitely result in some casualties.

I am already seeing people up there game and leave, sold three this week auctions today and come away with a big fat zero, i would be happy having things in prep at least you know you have something coming.

What we do is a production line. You need to set it up and constantly watch / manage it to be as effective and efficient as possible. No different than working in a factory or in an office, the principal is exactly the same. We manage delegation. 

Cheers Simon

I suppose that’s sort of what is happening by accident.  One at BCA, one in workshop, one in body shop.  Just need to back fill

It was harder at first but now we've got enough money to fill the unit at all times so it doesn't really matter if I have 3-4 waiting to come in or in prep, we can still fill the gaps.

But it wasn't always like that.

3 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Mark,

As you know from our previous conversations I am in the same boat. So far and I don't want to tempt fate but I have sold everything I have had sale ready pretty quickly.

I have to say I know a lot of my problem is not having a good enough network of repairers etc but I am in awe of the guys that a stocking 15 to 20 cars... how the hell do you manage it & more importantly how do you get the stock....

As somebody from the dark side, I am the guy that helps ease your problems. No dealer waits more that 48 hours, my dealers never question my price if they do they get dropped. If it is urgent like the call that came in from 911 Sport at 7pm yesterday is done and finished ready for delivery at 10am this morning, if they tried that one to often they would be dropped. No £35 a car for dents, make it that a panel and I will prove I can keep cars out of the body shop that the cheaper dent guys will not.

Glass repairs, if most repairs and up liking more than a dried raindrop when finished find another repairer.

Find an ex car dealer who does the job for fun and who knows the pain you lot feel and things will be easier.

Keep smiling, you are earning a fortune, as anyone who has never done the job or worked for themselves will tell you.

I find with more stock on display its easier to sneak the prices up a little for example, had a customer come down today look at a 59 plate Clio nice couple but the lady couldnt get on with the dash board on the Clio so started to wonder around the site and liked a 58 Fiesta job done sale in the bag, however if i had only 3-4 cars the Fiesta might have looked expensive but sneaked in and against the Clio it now seems cheap, i know i give all the money for it and could see peoples eye brows raising but its was spotless.