Sign in to follow this  
Mark101

Starship Mileage

What's you opinion on high milers?

I personally have no problem with big mileage cars if I was buying for myself - I'd sooner have a motorway car that has run at a constant RPM for much of its 100,000+ miles over a 30,000 mile town car but in my experience people cannot get the 100k barrier out of their minds.

I can sell the benefits of high mileage with good service but only if people pick up the phone and ask.  I only have one car with >100k (my Q7) which is taxed and my daily smoke but also for sale.

Cars have changed and the taxi driver yesterday was boasting how one of his cars had 700k on the clock and another with 500k on the clock (oil change every 5k)

Do you do well with big mileage or steer clear?

I think its less of a problem on a big German car but I am not sure how well I would do with other Euro cars.

Never worked for me no matter how often you change the oil i always ended up with worn gear boxes and other similar faults.

I know that Arfur Dealy does well out of high mileage cars but he does really great videos and shows the car's condition and history, he only seems to buy cars in really good nick that have been looked after.

As ever, "it depends" springs to mind.

People won't buy a 207 with 120,000 miles on with a patchy history (rightly so) but a 3 litre 4 x 4 with a long ticket and having  been serviced on the button will be attractive to lots.

I sell high mileage newer, clean low owner cars recently sold a Crv est ex 2.0 petrol 12 plate for 6500 and a 10 reg Mercedes c220 bf estate 2010 for 5750

Cheap Ek - nice one! decent margins (don't need to say) but inline with low mileage?

We do a bit of ex-police stuff. All mega miles but highly maintained, customers like that, Ex fleet is probably the same. 

I’m weary of private high milers though unless it’s 1-2 owners and good history

Mine drives much nicer cars than me - she works for Listers and never has a car older than 6 months - usually something from JLR or BMW

Incidentally, that's how we met - I bough 8 cars from them (for personal use) in 12 months - so much so, I got invited to their office party where we met! Sweet!

I haven't taken a risk yet - I set my filter to up to 100k but I get tempted when I see a nice E Class Estate (V6 diesel) - I have had three and know that motor is bomb proof having owned from new (or nearly new) and racking up 100k trouble free miles (serviced by main dealer at correct intervals).

After Make and Model, in what order do people filter?  I think:

Price (set the max) hate saying it but must be true

Mileage

Model Variant

Colour (not always)

and lastly, service history, number of owners etc.

11 minutes ago, tradex said:

It's your lucky day:D

We have an 06 320 V6 CDi W211 E class here only 120k on it, with a mountain of eye popping bills, and needs yet another set of oil cooler seals and has either a stuck turbo vanes or another turbo actuator. Seals are cheap, Mr Muscle even cheaper......you may wish to google oil cooler seals though, it's a bit over a 10 minute job:rolleyes:

Could be yours sir, and even chuck in a set of mats and smellie, be quick it's off to the block soon:D

PS and yes the last set of seals were the purple Viton upgrade. 

There's always one bad news story.

Generally speaking, are they not good news? To be fair, the ones I owned were only driven by myself and at most one other and serviced on the button - go like stink too.

1 hour ago, Lakeside said:

We do a bit of ex-police stuff. All mega miles but highly maintained, customers like that, Ex fleet is probably the same. 

Do you 'promote' the ex-police thing or play it down. We used to do a few back in the day but mostly ex CID/covert stuff, no white cars; a few MOD too?

I’ve always sold high mileage, it doesn’t scare me as long as it’s low ownership, clearly been looked after with a full history. The model and spec is more important, 200k is now the old 100k. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I’ve always sold high mileage, it doesn’t scare me as long as it’s low ownership, clearly been looked after with a full history. The model and spec is more important, 200k is now the old 100k. 

Good to know - funnily enough, I'm just watching you videos on YouTube.

The round of applause makes me smile every time I hear it - good concept by the way

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

I personally have no problem with big mileage cars if I was buying for myself - I'd sooner have a motorway car that has run at a constant RPM for much of its 100,000+ miles over a 30,000 mile town car but in my experience people cannot get the 100k barrier out of their minds.

I can sell the benefits of high mileage with good service but only if people pick up the phone and ask.  I only have one car with >100k (my Q7) which is taxed and my daily smoke but also for sale.

Cars have changed and the taxi driver yesterday was boasting how one of his cars had 700k on the clock and another with 500k on the clock (oil change every 5k)

I think its less of a problem on a big German car but I am not sure how well I would do with other Euro cars.

I agree with everything EXCEPT your last paragraph - steer away from the leggy German dross if you want a quiet life.

I used to be scared of the miles but if it’s low owners, historied & relatively tidy then high miles are good bets with real profit on them. 4x4s, Galaxies etc. (that would retail at £8Kish with low miles) that trade at £2-2.5K and retail at £4-4.5K are a no brainer but forget anything smaller.

I use my stock for transport but the family car is a fully historied Honda, 160K, super condition, drives like brand new and being a Honda doesn’t give any surprises. Compare that to a fellow trader’s BMW - he gets a bill every month & it still isn’t 100%. As for buying a low miler & watching the ££££s fall away every month in depreciation, well sorry, but in my opinion that’s a mug punter’s game.

over 70,000 and the wheels fall off everyone knows that

even the ex 'i did this job' but went back to being a milkman expert knows it

me

i dont buy leggy stuff because pdi always brings up too many points

i likes an easy life eyes does

3 minutes ago, s and b said:

over 70,000 and the wheels fall off everyone knows that

even the ex 'i did this job' but went back to being a milkman expert knows it

me

i dont buy leggy stuff because pdi always brings up too many points

i likes an easy life eyes does

I always struggle on low mileage, it always looks expensive to me. 

• Like 1

Had a few personal vehicles that have been to the moon and back and never missed a beat, yet had sub 40k stuff thats been a nightmare. 

7 hours ago, Lakeside said:

Metpol from WOMA ?

9 hours ago, Mark101 said:

A few weeks ago I was offered a c220D Merc 09 black,manual, yes I know know one wants a manual Merc! Snapped handbrake cable and wanted back bumper painting. S/History and very long mot. Now the chap had been to a few traders who rejected it as it had 270000 miles on clock. Still not sure if I done the right thing by turning it away when he told me how much he would accept.

what would anyone want to give and retail this for? I really think I could of made a profit putting it through the block, but would anyone bid on this?

i never buy anything much above 100000 the highest I've had was a 130000 miles diesel shogun and that flew out the door.

Mine drives much nicer cars than me - she works for Listers and never has a car older than 6 months - usually something from JLR or BMW

Incidentally, that's how we met - I bough 8 cars from them (for personal use) in 12 months - so much so, I got invited to their office party where we met! Sweet!

When I was young I fancied the girl in the newsagents. Used to go in everyday for a packet of sweets. But buying 8 cars in 12 months!!!! That's a whole different level!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I always struggle on low mileage, it always looks expensive to me. 

True.

4 hours ago, MrC said:

Had a few personal vehicles that have been to the moon and back and never missed a beat, yet had sub 40k stuff thats been a nightmare. 

Very true. The engines are often choked-up and low mileage punters usually don’t like spending on maintenance.

47 minutes ago, Pip said:

A few weeks ago I was offered a c220D Merc 09 black,manual, yes I know know one wants a manual Merc! Snapped handbrake cable and wanted back bumper painting. S/History and very long mot. Now the chap had been to a few traders who rejected it as it had 270000 miles on clock. Still not sure if I done the right thing by turning it away when he told me how much he would accept.

what would anyone want to give and retail this for? I really think I could of made a profit putting it through the block, but would anyone bid on this?

i never buy anything much above 100000 the highest I've had was a 130000 miles diesel shogun and that flew out the door.

You did the right thing.You could not retail that,you would struggle to sell it in the block if it stood you a grand.Its probably been on as a taxi at some stage.We have been doing late ex fleet diesels for over 25 years,so we might know a bit about them.

We had a lot of punters like that just after the millennium.They were all alcohol and tobacco smugglers and they had to evade the customs at Dover ! 

7 minutes ago, trade vet said:

We had a lot of punters like that just after the millennium.They were all alcohol and tobacco smugglers and they had to evade the customs at Dover ! 

8 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Good to know - funnily enough, I'm just watching you videos on YouTube.

The round of applause makes me smile every time I hear it - good concept by the way

8 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Rumbled.....................