Sign in to follow this  
HKQAC

Pre Delivery Inspections

Anyone know any good pre delivery inspection sheets out there?

I made my own using Excel, then added my logo - meant I could print them rather than a scruffy mechanic finger print on them.

Happy to send you it by email?

Edited by Mark101
  • Like 1

Lawgistics. You won’t need anything else. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, EPV said:

+1 plus we also use Lawgistics Sales invoices.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, D&M said:

+1 plus we also use Lawgistics Sales invoices.

Me too. Done properly I think it’s about as comprehensive as it can be. 

• Like 1

On 19/03/2018 at 7:22 PM, EPV said:

+1 we also use the test drive forms..

Guys not to be a complete idiot, but who checks the car for PDIs? I mean does it have to be a garage or someone independent? Or can you do them yourself?

33 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Guys not to be a complete idiot, but who checks the car for PDIs? I mean does it have to be a garage or someone independent? Or can you do them yourself?

Anyone can do them, sometimes I do them other times the garage will.

99% of the time I provide an advisory free MOT and the fact this has passed, completes all but the bodywork, stereo, locking wheel nut type elements of my PDI form - in which case, I complete the form myself as even I can switch a stereo on and check the spare wheel is there etc.

Edited by Mark101

My sold car file holds (my records):

Deposit receipt

Final Invoice

PDI sheet

HPI report

Original log book (I know you're supposed to destroy)

DVLA transfer of ownership confirmation

Any Online RFL (on behalf of customer)

Warranty cover

Basically as much stuff as I can, just in case.

Depends on the level of PDI you do, i used to use lawgistics ones but they not for me, so i also print my own now

4 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

My sold car file holds (my records):

Deposit receipt

Final Invoice

PDI sheet

HPI report

Original log book (I know you're supposed to destroy)

DVLA transfer of ownership confirmation

Any Online RFL (on behalf of customer)

Warranty cover

Basically as much stuff as I can, just in case.

I also keep a copy of the original add from the car window silent salesmen i think they call them. 

9 minutes ago, tradex said:

Whom is currently doing PDI's on your stock?

Honestly we've never done them. Cars are MOTd and serviced if needed. Which is why I'm asking as I'm going to do them going forward.

PDI internally and independent MOT on everything. We then do advisory jobs to. Prep our cars properly hence lots of good feedback.

Fact of the matter is this works 99% of the time but if you get a screamer and that screamer is on finance it does not matter what you have done you are having the car back.

As Rory, we use Lawgistics PDI which is completed in house following service + MOT or by the garage (independent) if they did service only. 

Sometimes I will re-sell a very cheap p/x in which case I complete the Lawgistics PDI following a new MOT but on the sheet advise that most items need attention even if they don't. I do this purely to make sure that if a customer expects perfection for £600-£700 they walk away. 

Lawgistics for PDI pads. I ordered some recently and I like them, they're very comprehensive. Do them yourself. It's the modern day equivalent and as close as you get to selling ''Sold as Seen''... I'm sure I'll get picked on for saying that but I don't really care. We offer a third party warranty for things that go wrong, it covers the fundamental stuff and does pay out, beyond that it's not my problem. 

Everyone's quick to throw their understanding of the law about so if you're compliant you're safe. The difficult thing is drumming into someone's head they can't reject a 12 year old car because of a leaking slave cylinder that's covered under warranty anyway...

3 hours ago, tradex said:

Whom is currently doing PDI's on your stock?

That's a questionable use of 'Whom'.

the first pdi is the appraisal before purchase

then you either transport it or drive it back to your work place,this is the second pdi as you might find niggles on the drive or in my case i look up at the car before i unload it noting anything like bald tyres ,exhausts dents etc

once on the floor and washed off the proper pdi begins followed by a full inspection all wheels of all lights checked all doors lock etc ticking the boxes off as you go or noting attention needed

once this is all done its ready for an mot that should be a clear pass

once back from the mot its a wash again a clean of the tyres a clean of the floor area where your feet have been and then its on to take photos,this is why i always do mot's in the afternoon as hopefully the light is better

never give a customer a copy of the pdi as this is your ace if you end up in court but certainly advertise that you have done

anyone not doing this should NOT be selling cars IN MY OPINION  why? because wheels can fall off cars or propshafts can make bids for freedom these are mechanical contraptions and we all know previous owners are happy to carrying on driving with a balljoint hanging out coz they are swapping it soon

Well... I disagree, the customer signs the PDI at collection after confirming it’s accuracy. They get a copy and I keep the master. It makes no sense to not give the customer a copy. Transparency and openness is key. 

I too do it the same way as Arfur. Plus we mention at time of sale that we do it and usually show them the blank Pdi sheet.  

The customer gets a chance to see the Pdi and have a copy should they wish when the car goes out.

It forms part of my ‘no faults at time of collection’ defence, and the Pdi (and the customer’s attention being drawn to it) is written into the ‘Point of Handover Customer Satisfaction Declaration’.  

This also mentions the fact that the car has had a new, no advisory MOT, service etc and the customer has driven the car, had the warranty form and the terms of the warranty explained to them. 

The Pdi is done by the independent garage, not by us, as I find this easier to defend than one done by yourself. Shows a bit more due diligence. 

Same as Cheif Bee, I do my best to drive everything when it arrives and before it goes out. The MOT garage we use is a couple of miles away from the site, so this helps also. Plus part of their Pdi is a road test and comments also. 

11 hours ago, tradegirl said:

Honestly we've never done them. Cars are MOTd and serviced if needed. Which is why I'm asking as I'm going to do them going forward.

vw golf cabriolet litterally split in two, i saw the pics, trader sold it, police report showed brake pads low and one lost its friction material due to being so low, two tyres underpressured also contributed to driver loosing control, 2 of 3 killed outright, car was a mess, they had it 3 days, trader went out of his head big time, dont just think of a pdi as covering your arse, a car is far more dangerous than a shotgun.

18 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

vw golf cabriolet litterally split in two, i saw the pics, trader sold it, police report showed brake pads low and one lost its friction material due to being so low, two tyres underpressured also contributed to driver loosing control, 2 of 3 killed outright, car was a mess, they had it 3 days, trader went out of his head big time, dont just think of a pdi as covering your arse, a car is far more dangerous than a shotgun.

Jesus Christ...I can't imagine having that on my conscience.

i once bought a car from the poshest house in my nearest town

i still remember the 3" nail i found knocked over holding the sliding caliper on

thats stuck with me ever since

and the amount of fords i found where the adjusters had been welded up in the drum rather than replaced at £18 a set

batteries held in with anything to hand

wheel nuts missing under the wheeltrims

etc etc

pdi to save going to jail and a clear conscience

and never give a copy of the pdi to the customer its for your records not theirs and is the piece de resistance in court when held aloft shouting 

He was found guilty, but with 'extenuating circumstances :lol:

If you don’t show the customer the Pdi, or give them the chance to, you are missing a trick.

Also if you do your own Pdi’s- in my opinion you will have no or little defence in court, as it could easily be suggested that you’re not a qualified mechanic (unless you are of course) and it could also easily be argued that you did the Pdi ‘after the fact’ once a complaint was received. 

An absolute no-brainer for me to pay the qualified garage a few quid to do the Pdi after the Mot-and get them to stamp and date it, plus add it to your invoice-and give the customer a copy. 

Furthermore, all those terrible stories above of someone losing their life is not something I’d want do be wondering whether I (a used car dealer not a mechanic) did the Pdi correctly or not. 

‘Your honour, I ensured an independent garage did a comprehensive Pdi and Mot and have evidence.’  

Edited by NOACROSS
  • Like 1

if your addressing "your honour" and not just "sir" i suggest a solicitor :blink::)

when i addressed "sir" he had already studied MY pdi, the claimant questioned " i havent had sight of this pdi other than when evidence presented by this defendant" this was short shrifted by my reply " the pdi is MY check to ensure I SELL a safe reliable car is sold,you were informed of my checking procedure at pos, and have disregarded it, its not for you as such, its for me  ".

i have just looked at the lawgistics pdi, [ i have my own pdi sheet] and quite honestly cannot see why a experienced motor trader can not fill this in themselves, theres a choice of 3 tick boxes xunsatisfactory ?advisory and "tick" satisfactory. its all quite simple.