Sign in to follow this  
HKQAC

Pre Delivery Inspections

Call me ignorant but I cannot see the excitement about completing PDi forms. If a sales car has a major failure, whether or not you’ve completed a tick sheet is immaterial, surely you’re still liable? I refuse to believe that a tick sheet absolves you of your responsibilities.

Like many desk jockies nowadays I think many in this industry mistake the completion of a PDI form (I.e. getting the paperwork right) for the completion of an actual thorough examination. An MOT and a thorough test drive (minimum 20 miles) tells you just about all you need to know mechanically. 

There are many on here who seem to be regularly dealing with customer issues yet proudly proclaim the virtues of completing these magical PDI sheets. I’d suggest to those of you that your preparation standards are below par and you need to assess what’s important- ultimately this industry is about CARS, not paperwork.

I have NEVER had a customer come back with a safety related complaint & rarely on any other type of issue. I won’t be changing my work practices anytime soon. 

15 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

If you don’t show the customer the Pdi, or give them the chance to, you are missing a trick.

Also if you do your own Pdi’s- in my opinion you will have no or little defence in court, as it could easily be suggested that you’re not a qualified mechanic (unless you are of course) and it could also easily be argued that you did the Pdi ‘after the fact’ once a complaint was received. 

An absolute no-brainer for me to pay the qualified garage a few quid to do the Pdi after the Mot-and get them to stamp and date it, plus add it to your invoice-and give the customer a copy. 

Furthermore, all those terrible stories above of someone losing their life is not something I’d want do be wondering whether I (a used car dealer not a mechanic) did the Pdi correctly or not. 

‘Your honour, I ensured an independent garage did a comprehensive Pdi and Mot and have evidence.’  

Absolutely right. 

18 minutes ago, BHM said:

Call me ignorant but I cannot see the excitement about completing PDi forms. If a sales car has a major failure, whether or not you’ve completed a tick sheet is immaterial, surely you’re still liable? I refuse to believe that a tick sheet absolves you of your responsibilities.

Like many desk jockies nowadays I think many in this industry mistake the completion of a PDI form (I.e. getting the paperwork right) for the completion of an actual thorough examination. An MOT and a thorough test drive (minimum 20 miles) tells you just about all you need to know mechanically. 

There are many on here who seem to be regularly dealing with customer issues yet proudly proclaim the virtues of completing these magical PDI sheets. I’d suggest to those of you that your preparation standards are below par and you need to assess what’s important- ultimately this industry is about CARS, not paperwork.

I have NEVER had a customer come back with a safety related complaint & rarely on any other type of issue. I won’t be changing my work practices anytime soon. 

BHM, you are missing the point about PDI sheets. It’s purpose it to show you are a responsible dealer, secondly billy signs it to confirm everything works the car was right at collection.

To say it’s pointless and to not cover your ass is madness & to not give a signed copy to your customer is simply stupid.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BHM said:

I wouldn’t say you’re ignorant at all, far from it. But whilst there are plenty on here asking for advice in dealing with a customer demanding refunds and quoting the CRA, none of them, once interrogated, confirm that they issue out a proper PDI. 

I don’t believe anyone on here thinks doing a PDI is a magical solution to prevent cars going wrong but there are many that realise (including me) that doing a properly worded PDI protects us against smart arse people who misinterpret the law for their own gain. 

13 minutes ago, EPV said:

I wouldn’t say you’re ignorant at all, far from it. But whilst there are plenty on here asking for advice in dealing with a customer demanding refunds and quoting the CRA, none of them, once interrogated, confirm that they issue out a proper PDI. 

I don’t believe anyone on here thinks doing a PDI is a magical solution to prevent cars going wrong but there are many that realise (including me) that doing a properly worded PDI protects us against smart arse people who misinterpret the law for their own gain. 

Absolutely 

I see it differently.  I use my PDI to list faults which I have made the customer aware, for example - CD player/AC etc not working, body damage.  Customer complains a month later and this documents that he/she knew this and has signed as such.  

Similarly, I state things like 2 keys, locking wheel nut etc becuase when they lose one I have proof it was there at point of sale.

Having said that, no car leaves me with any safety critical boxes unchecked as OK.

Both the customer and I get a dually signed copy of such.

• Like 1

Just now, Mark101 said:

I see it differently.  I use my PDI to list faults which I have made the customer aware, for example - CD player/AC etc not working, body damage.  Customer complains a month later and this documents that he/she knew this and has signed as such.  

Similarly, I state things like 2 keys, locking wheel nut etc becuase when they lose one I have proof it was there at point of sale.

Having said that, no car leaves me with any safety critical boxes unchecked as OK.

Both the customer and I get a dually signed copy of such.

Agreed... Stating the faults on the car is fundamental to covering your ass.

I suspect my MOTing & driving of every vehicle coupled with my ‘no bullshit, straight talk’ approach to customers saves me all of the CRA returns hassles. I just do not get punters coming back - each to their own but for the time being I’ll stick with my tried & tested methods.

Tbh I point out negatives to punters & if they start whining I chase them away - I think the managing of punters expectations goes a long way. Watch this space, I’ll probably get a whinger on the phone tomorrow.........