Sign in to follow this  
NoMargin

Trigger happy MOT testers....

Seriously what's up with MOT testers  and trolling advisories... Is it because they can? Few examples of potential purchases:

-Dots on front wiper blades

-Brakes making a noise

-Unable to check passenger seat belt as babies car seat fitted, car seat very loose

And whats with the engine covers and under trays fitted... Aren't all cars fitted with them nowadays. 

My beautiful 2006 Honda Civic 2.2 diesel, complete with sat nav and cruise control, had been flying through its Mot every year without no advisories. Last year it failed on... A side light. Tester had the cheek to fail it then proceed to fit a new side light bulb then pass it, then bill me £2.50 for the bulb. Cars due an MOT this month, wish me luck and pass me the whisky. Rant over and good night! 

• Like 2

The undertrays bit is covering themselves in case something fails that is hidden from view which, to me, is fair enough. Are we all covering ourselves in this game?

As for failing on a sidelight bulb, if your sidelight bulb was u/s then it’s a fail. I’m unsure what your point is.

I would be more annoyed with myself that I hadn't bothered to check the lights before the test?

• Like 2

I think what he’s getting at is for the sake of a bulb the garage could of just changed it on the ramp and passed it first time.

On the other hand though I can see where the garage is coming from, to many first time passes and they end up getting investigated.

Tbf by the sound of it they were only doing their job. It’s the bitter failed salesman/mechanic or retired RAF Majors crabbing cars to death that are the problem.

13 hours ago, NoMargin said:

Seriously what's up with MOT testers  and trolling advisories... Is it because they can? Few examples of potential purchases:

-Dots on front wiper blades

-Brakes making a noise

-Unable to check passenger seat belt as babies car seat fitted, car seat very loose

And whats with the engine covers and under trays fitted... Aren't all cars fitted with them nowadays. 

My beautiful 2006 Honda Civic 2.2 diesel, complete with sat nav and cruise control, had been flying through its Mot every year without no advisories. Last year it failed on... A side light. Tester had the cheek to fail it then proceed to fit a new side light bulb then pass it, then bill me £2.50 for the bulb. Cars due an MOT this month, wish me luck and pass me the whisky. Rant over and good night! 

I have an MOT testing area and to be fair we have to apply the same DOT measures against every vehicle - we're not given any wriggle room at all, and are inspected regularly. its a very rigorous procedure and a lot of red tape involved. if the tester didn't follow the above then I bet the odd person would complain and the testing centre would be stripped of its license

That might be your station and well done for sticking to the rules, i would like to see some common sense applied for EG mini tested yesterday " Mot Advisory corrosion throughout vehicle" granted a bit of surface rust on the rear subframe never seen a mini without it, customer having a right old moan now, wants it inspected to make sure it doesnt fall apart in three months. 

it appears whilst talking to the testers there scared of the mod turning up they just over advise on mots 

As advisories go, "wheeltrim missing" still takes some beating!

Agree with RH Likewise have MOT bay, i.e a bulb is a failure as whilst testing they are not allowed do any repairs regardless of how small , once tested replace bulb and pass. It's just the rules! As already mentioned under trays, think pretty much every tester notes this , simple protection, the child seat is also a genuine example of how it should be done. VOSA do carry out random checks so why risk a black mark , just do the job right. 

3 hours ago, justina3 said:

That might be your station and well done for sticking to the rules, i would like to see some common sense applied for EG mini tested yesterday " Mot Advisory corrosion throughout vehicle" granted a bit of surface rust on the rear subframe never seen a mini without it, customer having a right old moan now, wants it inspected to make sure it doesnt fall apart in three months. 

it appears whilst talking to the testers there scared of the mod turning up they just over advise on mots 

hi

i changed my mot station a few years back because of this

i suggest you do the same as some testers eventually get jealous that you are earning more than them is my guess

just like council workers who seem to all have a chip on their shoulder

1 hour ago, s and b said:

hi

i changed my mot station a few years back because of this

i suggest you do the same as some testers eventually get jealous that you are earning more than them is my guess

just like council workers who seem to all have a chip on their shoulder

Agreed. I push all my mechanical work on one garage and as a consequence I expect to be looked after. Nothing illegal of course I just don’t expect to have advisories that can be resolved with a wire brush and some hammerite. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

Corsa D noisy timing chain what the actual f*uck ?

thought that was a standard feature 

We've just switched MOT stations again for the umpteenth time.

For us they mostly start off half sensible but the advisories always seem to increase month on month, quarter on quarter no matter what the car until you're convinced they think you're seeing their missus behind their back. It's so blatant it's as if they genuinely don't think we'll realise they're trying to milk us so hard.

As for all this 'doing the job right because we're scared of inspections' what a load of old tosh. I know there must be some reputable firms out there (if anyone knows of any please let me know) but half of them are just getting in their monthly parts bonus or trading failures they buy on the side on facebook and gumtree, and you know they're not re-testing them quite so stringently when they've just bought them off a victim for £100.

Apologies for the rant but I have yet to meet one that applies the same rules to his Brothers/Sisters/Uncles/Wives car as he does to mine or a young woman/elderly ladies.

• Like 2

Everyone is frightened of VOSA,except the guy we know.Word had reached him that the VOSA guys were in the area using a 90k Beetle to get MOTs .The Beetle however,was mint and it appeared to  have been clocked ( up over ).The Beetle gets booked in and our guy who has this downtown testing station must have looked like a soft target for them.How wrong they were,this guy who wears overalls ,develops and rents private and commercial property,plays the stock market runs marathons etc. Get the picture.So he takes charge and does the MOT,exaggerating everything by the book before passing it......Sometime later,he is in his office ( it is a shed)with some customers and 2 guys from VOSA walk in and announce who they are and ignore his customers and start to pick fault.What did he do,he threw out.When he told me,I just said oh dear,that is not good.He said,I know the regulations backwards.To cut the story short,with the help of his sister who is a barrister,I think he got paid damages.

how did i stop getting a failure/advise tomorrow? on the one that's booked in at ten ? well the front subframe was a peeling sheet of rust, cost? half a tin of satin black and a few hairs out of the wirebrush, £3, the n/s pads were stuck in caliper slightly, remove, brake clean aerosol, sliver of coppaslip, cost ? £1? n/s sidelight bulb black, obviously going to pop any minute, probably at test, cost? a 501 ? £1.  total cost £5 plus 1 hours labour

---------------------------------

without pdi =

mot result= front brakes fail

n/s sidelight out

advise= front subframe corroded 

----------------------------------

with pdi =

pass no advisories

moral = havent got to go back to test station, [and the hour i spent doing these little jobs would have easily been taken up by going back to test station]

i havent got a worrying advise on the test paper.

why be a busy fool? 

just my thought :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grant8064 said:

and you know they're not re-testing them quite so stringently when they've just bought them off a victim for £100.

Apologies for the rant but I have yet to meet one that applies the same rules to his Brothers/Sisters/Uncles/Wives car as he does to mine or a young woman/elderly ladies.

19 hours ago, BHM said:

As for failing on a sidelight bulb, if your sidelight bulb was u/s then it’s a fail. I’m unsure what your point is.

Majority of my cars went to that mot station, I expect them not to be so petty.

I agree with grant.  A failed sidelight bulb is only a fail when it suits  the mot tester. 

So you can't check seat belt because  car seat fitted which is fair enough, so to cover your back you add car seat loose, what a load of nonsense. 

As I said to many trigger happy testers. 

20 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

how did i stop getting a failure/advise tomorrow? on the one that's booked in at ten ? well the front subframe was a peeling sheet of rust, cost? half a tin of satin black and a few hairs out of the wirebrush, £3, the n/s pads were stuck in caliper slightly, remove, brake clean aerosol, sliver of coppaslip, cost ? £1? n/s sidelight bulb black, obviously going to pop any minute, probably at test, cost? a 501 ? £1.  total cost £5 plus 1 hours labour

without pdi =

mot result= front brakes fail

n/s sidelight out

advise= front subframe corroded 

----------------------------------

with pdi =

pass no advisories

moral = havent got to go back to test station, [and the hour i spent doing these little jobs would have easily been taken up by going back to test station]

i havent got a worrying advise on the test paper.

why be a busy fool? 

just my thought :)

PASSED, no advisories

• Like 1

y4mDbYriAg4GtmIkymQkhgUo3BodfwWCMMZN3YEK

Found this post on a facebook page! Made me laugh!

• Like 1

mileage history :unsure:

Mileage82,275 miles

Mileage109,425 miles

Mileage136,398 miles

Mileage555,864 miles

Mileage574,111 miles

Mileage596,324 miles

Mileage143,280 miles

its a van, fair enough, but, think i will let it go 

:unsure:

• All road wheels have trim covers
  • Battery has a cover

and????? arseholes

Advisory notice item(s)

• Front Power steering pipe(s) or hose(s) has slight seepage (2.3.3b)
  • nearside front additional spotlamp corroded and slightly high in aim on main beam--REC ATTENTION
  • rear number plate faded--REC ATTENTION
  • rear exhaust clamp corroded and broken but still supporting system at time of test--REC ATTENTION A.S.A.P
  • nearside front tyre worn on the outer edge
  • offside front tyre slightly worn on the outer edge
  • tyre size is Goodyear Excellence 195/55 R16 87H

always good to know what tyres are fitted :lol: