Sign in to follow this  
D&M

Peugeot 1.6 VTi EML Mystery

Hello All,

We've got a Peugeot 207 with the 1.6 VTi engine. Only 40k.

The engine light is on along with 'Depollution System Faulty' on the display.

It's been plugged in at our mechanic and it came up with a misfire fault and 'VTi Jammed'

The misfire has been fixed with a new coil pack, and that code hasn't come back.

Alternator and Battery have been checked and are fine, and the car has only just been serviced.

It starts and idles fine - drives Ok but the power delivery isn't smooth.

We can delete the code from our cheapie handheld code reader and it stays off for a couple of drives - when the light is off it drives much smoother but not 100%.

Has anyone here had experience of the 'VTi Jammed' fault?

Or can recommend someone in Devon? - Good garages are hard to find, and as there is only a finite amount of money in the car, we don't want to take it to someone who will just play 'Parts Darts' with it.

Any help or pointers most welcome! Thank you!

I had one last week sticky valve was a pig of a job to be fair, hope yours isnt the same also had grief with a 1.4 version which was also a valve issue with stupid lack of clearance in the engine, the 1.4 is the same engine as the mini and even the mini has far more room to work on. 

on my avoid list from now on sadly shame as they do drive nice. 

Isnt the VTI  pulley like renault dephaser pulley? When was the oil last changed? Is oil pressure good in live data? 

What is the code, P0012,13,14,15? if so, they all relate to valve solenoid's.... very common I've changed loads. The exhaust side is super easy to change, the valve side a bit more annoying. 

If it’s the same “Prince” engine as the 308/mini/1-series etc I’ve wiped my hands with them. Terrible engines and riddled with problems. I’ve only ever lost money on three cars and thry’ve all been Peugeot’s with that engine fitted.

1 hour ago, Lakeside said:

If it’s the same “Prince” engine as the 308/mini/1-series etc I’ve wiped my hands with them. Terrible engines and riddled with problems. I’ve only ever lost money on three cars and thry’ve all been Peugeot’s with that engine fitted.

Hahaha, to say that engine is a piece of shit is an understatement.

family member wanted one of these

thanks for the heads up she aint getting one now

guess its the old extended service regime causing chain stretch,never happened on my duplex chained austin 1100

Ive heard problems from a "good" BMW mastertech, that these engines can have oil pressure problems that sometimes can only be cured with a replacement engine/ or major stripdown and rebuild/recon.

6 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Ive heard problems from a "good" BMW mastertech, that these engines can have oil pressure problems that sometimes can only be cured with a replacement engine/ or major stripdown and rebuild/recon.

I’ve noticed that almost every assured report on BCA that pertains to a Mini or a certain age/mileage contains the comment under “Engine Running” as being a warning. 

I had a 1.6 308 recently which was lumpy when cold, had a mechanic scratching his head over it for a week, then we googled it, and recommended a peugeot dealer software update. astonishingly, it cured the fault!

5 hours ago, s and b said:

family member wanted one of these

thanks for the heads up she aint getting one now

guess its the old extended service regime causing chain stretch,never happened on my duplex chained austin 1100

Hahaha, lets be honest here, how many of you would suggest one of Frances finest to a family member? And as for a 308 absolutely no bloody chance whatsoever!!!

Owners of French cars must get used to fixing them because every time I have a Frenchie there’s always something already wrong with it OR something goes wrong during my ownership. It’s a shame they’re popular with the punters otherwise I’d never touch one.

To be honest I don’t think 308’s are a bad car, it’s just that engine that lets them down.

Edited by Lakeside