Sign in to follow this  
Jimbo

Accepting paypal?

Anyone accept paypal for car sales? I’ve heard some people absolutely refuse paypal. 

Then again some say card payments also leave you very vunerable. 

Any views?

I'm sure PayPal has some 3% commission and then some ridiculous 45 day clawback for customers who feel they're hard done by. Can you imagine the comebacks? 

• Like 1

they are vicious with there claw backs as already mentioned you can send money via a gift which doesnt include fees but i only got asked once and declined cant see why anyone would need to use paypal

• Like 1

Id only do it as a friends or family gift

I accept PayPal occasionally for downpayments, “deposits” are a non-tangible item thus they are not covered by chargebacks. 

I definately would not accept PayPal for a full payment. 

Make sure you write on the money request “deposit for (reg) balance blah on collection” in the description section, this coveris yourself.

I had a scammer contact us yesterday, lovely email asking for best price, how much off and whats your last price, so i politely replied with the usual, priced to sell, lovely car, inspected, good history and the price is the price....

instant reply was - 

I will proceed with the transaction now. kindly login to your paypal account and select the request money button located at the top of your paypal account homepage and send the money request directly to my paypal account id which is caseykeenum@outlook.com so that i can submit payment to you via paypal right now as paypal is safe, fast and easy to send and receive money online.
If you dont have a paypal account just logon to www.paypal.com and set up your paypal account, after setting up your paypal account you locate the request money button located at the top of your paypal account home page, use it to request money directly from my paypal account which is caseykeenum@outlook.com once I receive your money request from paypal, I will submit payment to you immediately via paypal. Get back asap

Errr - hell no delete...

PayPal can be a good way to take card payments if you’ve not got card facilities, it’s instantaneous & I think the fee is something like 3.5% for an occasional user. 

I don’t know anything about 45 day clawbacks - as far as I’m aware PayPal transactions are either a cash transfer OR with regards to purchases proof of receipt ends all discussion irrespective of whether or not the purchaser is happy.

As always, cash is king.

I wouldn't trust paypal I only use it to purchase items on ebay and that's it. They have a habit of "retaining funds"

30 minutes ago, Tom said:

I wouldn't trust paypal I only use it to purchase items on ebay and that's it. They have a habit of "retaining funds"

You sound like a conspiracy theorist. It’s a large international bank.

16 hours ago, BHM said:

It’s a large international bank.

Yes they are but not a good one ;)  Up to you if you take paypal for a car but not for me! 

Paypal is not as bad as they say, but it is still for the Amateur. I have also heard quite often that many people refuse it for various reasons. Personally, I've never used it, so I can't say for sure. I can recommend an ideal replacement in the form of a payment system https://baxity.com/ which I have been using for several years. I have never had problems with payments, all payments are made instantly. In addition, this system is extremely easy to use and has a cashback of up to 1% from each deposit. Even a novice can deal with it and save money thanks to the ideal conditions of cooperation

Edited by FlorenceDude

I absolutely will not use PayPal, I have also had them hold on to funds in the past. Target for scammers too

Hasn’t Ebay just dropped them can’t see them having much of a roll to play once that partnership comes to an end 

1 hour ago, Lucky13 said:

I absolutely will not use PayPal, I have also had them hold on to funds in the past. Target for scammers too

If they’ve held funds it’s been for security checks & I’m sure, assuming you’re sensible, you won’t of released the car without cleared funds so no issue. Also quite how a scammer has you over if they’re there buying in front of you & you have cleared funds before releasing the car is beyond me.

2 hours ago, BHM said:

If they’ve held funds it’s been for security checks & I’m sure, assuming you’re sensible, you won’t of released the car without cleared funds so no issue. Also quite how a scammer has you over if they’re there buying in front of you & you have cleared funds before releasing the car is beyond me.

It was only 10 days ago someone wanted to buy a car off me using PayPal

No chance

You can now get a paypal credit card

I get offered one every week

Section 75 innit

1 hour ago, New year revolutions...... said:

It was only 10 days ago someone wanted to buy a car off me using PayPal

No chance

You can now get a paypal credit card

I get offered one every week

Section 75 innit

Sorry, you are mistaking my comments about PayPal with the PayPal C.C. That’s like comparing money from a Barclays a/c to a Barclaycard payment. 

• Like 1

We get the occasional customer asking to pay for a car via Paypal.

Be careful as many of you have rightfully stated, you can take the money in as "friends or family". This will reduce any possible clawbacks.

However, Paypal has a limit for transactions that come into / out your account (anything over £2,500) and they will put the money in your account on hold - Until you provide further proof e.g. identity, how you know the sender, nature of transaction (and if you are a business, it gets more difficult, due to you not being a friend or family) etc etc. 

They then take 5-10 working days to release the funds. 

Not worth the agro!

:angry:

4 minutes ago, XDR said:

However, Paypal has a limit for transactions that come into / out your account (anything over £2,500) and they will put the money in your account on hold - Until you provide further proof e.g. identity, how you know the sender, nature of transaction (and if you are a business, it gets more difficult, due to you not being a friend or family) etc etc. 

Sorry, more misinformation. As long as you’ve verified your account for money laundering regulations (which anyone would have to do before opening a high street account) then this doesn’t apply. 

Sorry but there’s an awful lot of bollocks talked about PayPal which I think stems from it originally being opened by eBay as a payment ‘device’ in the early days.

PAYPAL IS A BANK. Simple.