williamblackshaw

Whos made the swap from Autotrader to Motors then?

I'd be interested in the feedback with this too. We had a rep visit us offering us good rates to advertise on Motors. Substantially cheaper than Autotrader!

Guy's we have been away from AutoTrader since Nov 2012 and look we are still here, not only surviving but thriving :-) So there is life after AutoTrader, all the technology convinces you that you cannot do without them but guess what , THEY can't do without us! Motors.co.uk have adjusted their prices since we started with them however I feel that you can have a wider spread of advertising across a wider medium and selection of classified sites, save money on your advertising bill and still sell cars more importantly! All you have to do , is do the sums!

Customers don't just look at your cars on the website they look at loads of different sites before selecting your car so what makes you think they only look on AutoTrader???? Make the move ...."it only works"

Jim 

• Like 3

Guy's we have been away from AutoTrader since Nov 2012 and look we are still here, not only surviving but thriving :-) So there is life after AutoTrader, all the technology convinces you that you cannot do without them but guess what , THEY can't do without us! Motors.co.uk have adjusted their prices since we started with them however I feel that you can have a wider spread of advertising across a wider medium and selection of classified sites, save money on your advertising bill and still sell cars more importantly! All you have to do , is do the sums!

Customers don't just look at your cars on the website they look at loads of different sites before selecting your car so what makes you think they only look on AutoTrader???? Make the move ...."it only works"

Jim 

I took Uncle Jim's advice :) and put in my cancellation in 11 weeks ago and joined motors at the same time. As they do, AT came back to me with 'a special price to you Mr Mark' for two months which I accepted and when that runs out next week it will be goodnight vienna as far as AT is concerned. Have been impressed with the leads that MOTORS has produced  as well as becoming a gold member of carsitenetwork, all for under £300 a month for 30 cars.

I've also kept an eye on one or two others who have made the switch and if their adverts are honest they look to be doing the business without them. Of course AT is still the number one and a very good product, but personally on a main road pitch with a bit of a niche market I can no longer justify their fees and feel a whole lot better now that my number one monthly overhead is going.

I'm amazed their fees for 2015 are going up again and hope this is the straw that breaks the camel's back for some because let's be honest, they are not a  nice company.

• Like 3

That's good input Sparky.

We are on both Autotrader and Ebay at the moment. I must admit, most od our leads are from Autotrader. But like you say, it's at a cost and also our biggest overhead.

Are you on Ebay too Sparky? Just wondering how Motors compares to that?

Comments on this thread are certainly making me think twice about AutoTrader but I think Id have to see some facts before cancelling..

Like Ken, we are on AT & eBay, with the addition of AACars (VCars). Most of our leads are AutoTrader generated but I'm selling at least one a week from AACars which is paying for itself.

Ive got to admit that the Motors rep might be getting a call from us soon and we've also had Sun Motors knocking our door this week with a very tempting deal which Im looking into..

• Like 1

That's good input Sparky.

We are on both Autotrader and Ebay at the moment. I must admit, most od our leads are from Autotrader. But like you say, it's at a cost and also our biggest overhead.

Are you on Ebay too Sparky? Just wondering how Motors compares to that?

Yes I am and I don't think there is a lot in it. Motors is a touch more expensive but neither have direct debits that cause you sleepless nights. That said, if I was forced to go with one or t'other (motors or ebay) I'd go with Motors as part of their deal gets you on carsitenetwork as a 'gold' member.

GUY'S THERE ARE SO MANY GREAT DEALS OUT THERE FOR CLASSIFIED ADVERTS AND PAY PER LEAD ADVERTSING WITH NO RISK INVOLVED.

driving.co.uk , sumotors.co.uk, compucars.co.uk & findsyoucars.com EVERYONE SHOULD BE ON THESE, you have to be in it to win it!

Jim 

Ive got Motors coming to see me tomorrow, any advice on what sort of packages they are offering or deals to be had?

It all appears to depend on your number of cars listed (same as any online add's i guess) but looks like it ranges between £50 - £150 depending on numbers and packages, just hear them out i guess

Hi guys, I did put a thread on here recently about this subject, I too was worried about dropping AT after 12 years. Guess what.....we are doing better than ever since we cancelled! we went with motors.co.uk and we get a fair few leads & sales. Its a fraction of the cost and its nice not to have some money grabbing machine attitude person always on your back telling you how good they are and making promises of help, telling you how dear you are(although selling proper, low mileage cars) compared with all the others as an average, many selling their cat C & D vehicles. They can tell me i'm dear but i'm not allowed to tell them!!!   Many other dealers have finally got the hump with them now and are finally pulling the plug!  Final straw for me was the 'Direct Debit Dirty Trick'!  A quick way of having us over and expecting us to be daft enough to sit back and take it!  I have been recording down where all our leads come from for some time and its surprising how ebay motors pro has picked up aswell, great value and does return us some good sales.  I am so glad I have cancelled my largest overhead that was not producing us what you would expect for the cost. We have 40 cars in stock and things are ticking along nicely now. I urge anyone advertising on AT to do yourself a log sheet and monitor it and you may be surprised like we were how well it DOESNT work!

• Like 1

I wonder if Autotrader have guys skimming the web looking for threads like this on professonal forums?

Hi All,

I don't know if our competitors read this forum but we certainly do here at Motors.co.uk. It is very encouraging to read some of the comments posted here, our team is massively focused on helping our dealers sell more cars. Our TV campaign and network strategy (Carsite, Parkers, Honest John, Desperate Seller, CheapMotors, AutoVillage, CarVillage ...) is delivering record levels of leads for our dealers and we hope to update you soon on more developments including a brand new TV campaign -  Andy Coulthurst M.D. Motors.co.uk

• Like 1

Hi All,

I don't know if our competitors read this forum but we certainly do here at Motors.co.uk. It is very encouraging to read some of the comments posted here, our team is massively focused on helping our dealers sell more cars. Our TV campaign and network strategy (Carsite, Parkers, Honest John, Desperate Seller, CheapMotors, AutoVillage, CarVillage ...) is delivering record levels of leads for our dealers and we hope to update you soon on more developments including a brand new TV campaign -  Andy Coulthurst M.D. Motors.co.uk

Keep up the good work its certainly picking up pace now on Motors. Did a couple last week and I only hold 12 ish cars. 

• Like 2

Will do Thomas and thanks for the encouragement, I will share your comments with the team

p.s. I love the full personalised vehicle descriptions that you place on the cars on your website

• Like 1

I also left Autotrader and get good results from Ebay motors, exchange and mart, AA cars and motors.co.uk, I think people sit at there computers and trawl through all the sites before making a decision so if you are on at least a couple of the sites they should find you, the annoying thing is that even though I am not on Autotrader most customers when asked will still say they saw it on Autotrader, when I  tell them it wasnt advertised there they remember the other sites they looked at so it is very hard to monitor, I think for a couple of hundred pounds a month E Bay is a no brainer and is currently our best advertising spend but I hope motors.co.uk etc keep plugging away at AT,s stranglehold and knock them off there arrogant perch.  

All good with Motors here, went live last week and have done 2 from there already!

I also monitor my sales leads and am getting a fair spread from AutoTrader, eBay, AACars and Motors so its true to say people don't just use AutoTrader!