twerp

MOT Garage taking the mick ?

We have a 2004 Fiesta swapper which we just put through for an MOT in order to get rid of it r

Failed

Exhaust 2nd Idle Limit : 1.030

Test :                              1.031

Failed by :                      0.001

Admittedly there is a blow on the exhaust, but that is ridiculous.

Garage of course insists on a new downpipe and backbox at £140...

The correct response is rules are the rules and it’s a pass or a fail. Simple.

Mind you, it seems a shame to bother the gas analyser with an old Fiesta :lol:

F*** me, your MOT tester either hates you or he’s a jobsworth.

29 minutes ago, BHM said:

The correct response is rules are the rules and it’s a pass or a fail. Simple.

Mind you, it seems a shame to bother the gas analyser with an old Fiesta :lol:

F*** me, your MOT tester either hates you or he’s a jobsworth.

I would find a friendlier MOT station who want your business.

To be fair you can't win selling cars as if the customer takes it anywhere else and the other garage condemn the car the MOT station can get into bother.

Take it round the block and get it nice hot it probably would of just gone through! 

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Take it round the block and get it nice hot it probably would of just gone through! 

.... and stick one of those £5 Halfords exhaust repair things on it! Did they hit you with any 'advisories', because if you're trade there's always advisories?

No advisories

I really needed to get the car on a lift (which I don't have) in order to have patched the exhaust

Edited by twerp

I tried a new mot station last week, and i am still walking funny, some of these testers have issues beyond my ability to help.

Don't know how much you've got in the car, i would bite the bullet and replace the down pipe and back box. Think of all the hassle of running around patching it up and taking it for a retest and fails again or even when you have sold the car it comes back and bites you up the @rse.  

i would have bunged the tester a bluey and asked him to stick a bit of gum on it to ascertain if the blow is the fault, especially seeing as its there at the test, and if it didnt cure it then you know straightaway, its why i am always present at the mot, fuse popped on one last week for me, i ran it out of test station, swapped the fuse and drove it back in, if the test station is like mine they keep a copy of the emmisions for there paperwork, or bung him a tenner and put pipe up car next to it when nobodys looking :lol:

I got a fail because the front tyre was low in air and it put the TPms light on, Kwik fit advised to tape the bulb up, no sh*t! I proceeded to put air in the tyre, it reset without even driving it and they had to do a retest. I dared him to charge for the retest. C*nts.

I just typed a HUGE MOT rant and had to delete it before I got a forum ban.

Suffice to say our regular station guy must have found out his wife has been shagging the milkman and is deciding to take it out on us lately. 

I can't wait until they employ robots and get rid of overweight, overly critical, lazy mechanics.

Tbh half of them are failed or wannabe mechanics who are lazy blighters. 

If you’re trade you need to take them to a test station that knows they will NOT be doing any remedial work. ‘My’ MOT man gets the MOT inspections & nothing else.

Mind you, in response to TWERP, blast it around the block & retest but if the exhaust is knackered just replace the exhaust components. Shop around but Fiesta exhaust bits are for pennies & there’s a limit to how much penny pinching you can do in this game - patching up £30 exhaust components makes you look a twat in my opinion.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BHM said:

Tbh half of them are failed or wannabe mechanics who are lazy blighters. 

If you’re trade you need to take them to a test station that knows they will NOT be doing any remedial work. ‘My’ MOT man gets the MOT inspections & nothing else.

Mind you, in response to TWERP, blast it around the block & retest but if the exhaust is knackered just replace the exhaust components. Shop around but Fiesta exhaust bits are for pennies & there’s a limit to how much penny pinching you can do in this game - patching up £30 exhaust components makes you look a twat in my opinion.

all this

22 hours ago, Tradewize said:

I got a fail because the front tyre was low in air and it put the TPms light on, Kwik fit advised to tape the bulb up, no sh*t! I proceeded to put air in the tyre, it reset without even driving it and they had to do a retest. I dared him to charge for the retest. C*nts.

dont use kwik fit, just friendly advice ;)

I am an Authorised examiner and an MOT tester. The gas test is automated. No options pass or fail. No options. Grow up simple fix with a bit of gum gum.. get an honest good garage that will help you rather than taking your trousers down. There are plenty around. Disappoints me to hear these stories.

37 minutes ago, PaulYabs said:

I am an Authorised examiner and an MOT tester. The gas test is automated. No options pass or fail. No options. Grow up simple fix with a bit of gum gum.. get an honest good garage that will help you rather than taking your trousers down. There are plenty around. Disappoints me to hear these stories.

Where are you based Paul?