Sign in to follow this  
Arfur Dealy

Best Jump pack

I really dont get it jump packs are nothing more than a battery, batteries dont last neither do jump packs just replaced my internal battery on my snap on £45 thats me good to go for another year job done move on next problem.

I agree with regards to the one (or two) you have on site. I think the question was regarding a small, occasional use one you could carry about with you?

Had my site jumpback about four years now, and I haven’t needed to replace the battery ever, and it gets a fair bit of use. I still also have an even older (too)heavy Sealy one that is fine -but does need charging after a couple of uses now  

The lithuum portable one I mentioned I keep at home and it’s excellent-however I wouldn’t ‘think’ it would last long term at work, but battery technology has moved on so maybe. I’d rather not take a chance and use the traditional one at work  

On 21/04/2018 at 4:47 PM, met said:

Sorry to dig up this old thread but I'm thinking one of these little lithium jump packs might fit nicely in my bag of stuff to take when collecting a car to drive home. Is it still going strong? Been watching a video of a guy in Alaska jump starting half a dozen cars from dead with one of these. Considering the size and convenience of carrying it's difficult not to be impressed?

Yeah I’ve got one of those, easy to stick it in your bag, used it to jump a few cars in the auction car park when collecting, saves walking a few miles to hail down the nearest staff member and has never let me down on the bigger stuff.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183175181470

We had one of these mini lithium things and it was OK for six months but it over heated and blew up...had to throw it halfway across the forecourt before I lost a hand!

There is an option to use a Lipo 14.8v battery, this is around the size of a SKY type remote controller.. therefore smaller to use/carry to the block etc. Here is an example of the

the battery https://www.amazon.co.uk/FLOUREON-5500mAh-Battery-Truggy-Helicopter/dp/B074Y32S81/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1524482110&sr=8-5&keywords=4s+lipo

I have a few of these due to my hobbies; therefore older ones have been pressed into use and work a treat!

I just use a smaller set of jump leads and connect them to the Lipo battery terminals and then to the car in need of a boost; the Lipo battery will retain a charge for quite a time.. months and is available in different capacities. It certainly works to get a vehicle with a dead battery running/get you home or peace of mind when collecting something.

These Lipo batteries also come in 11.1v, and these too will turn start a car without any effort; however choosing the 14.8v will ensure the power is in the battery to crank a bigger motor.. especially on colder days...

I keep one with my trade plates...

21 minutes ago, chief runnin bee said:

Agreed...

Same problem Boeing had with the new 787, these same batteries are used for A/c systems back up, they carry the Lipo batteries in their aft hold, from time to time they do ignite with abuse.. going to flat and over charging etc... 

As with any "fuel source" care is needed when handling.. I'd hazard a guess stabbing a fuel line with a sharp knife under the bonnet of a car with a hot engine would have the same effect as this video... All my batteries are kept in an old AMMO box..

My lipo battery set up has jump started many a car, neighbours in the snow etc.. Just connect to their jump leads, carried it over in my pocket!!

Its no a heavy duty solution.. but will keep you mobile and get you home!

I wasn't looking to use it 'hardcore' daily just keep it in my travel bag for emergencies.

19 hours ago, Matt Reid said:

a likely occurence in real life.....

Yes, regardless of how drunk or stupid you are, don't stab a battery with a knife?:D

I tried the NiCad vesion of the jump starters https://10carbest.com/best-jump-starters and was not happy, same with the motorcycle battery type. Only the wet cell battery holds a charge over several months, the Li-ion type be fine as far as holding charge. BUT... Even when a battery holds a charge the small ones are often not up to the task of starting with a totally dead (headlights left on) battery. The small batteries just don't have the capacity, so I would revert to using jumper cables to start from a running vehicle. I eventually decided the best utility was to have heavy duty Marine type batteries with a good charger. This way it does double duty as power outage backup with an inverter, as well as mobile/home jump starting. The only downside is I don't have an extra battery with me when I am out and about, but 90% of the time there are other vehicles or I can call for wife to come help with jumper cables. At home a Marine battery is heavy but easy to use for jump starts and has massive capacity for hard starts. Overall I think the battery charger will give you many more years of service for both car and home use, especially if your primary car starting issue is cold starts at home. If primary issue was dead battery in remote location then the jump battery would be a better idea. The mention of Lithium batteries makes me think of all the 18V cordless tool batteries I have. Anyone know of anything that makes use of cordless tool batteries to directly power USB, cigarette lighter plug, AA charger, etc? Not to jump a car battery but for other low wattage 12v jobs.I suggest you to watch an interesting video on this topic from Youtube

Edited by Ostuph

I use the NoCo as featured in the video above and it's ideal because it's super light and you can charge it in a car on the way to collecting another car :-)

2 hours ago, tradex said:

Our 35 quid capacitor type fleabay special (size of a small paperback, always in van) still going well, but with with coming our sack barrow Ghia version will no doubt see some action. 

Winter being the missing worm

Damn this dyslexia :D

I have read and re read this and still cannot work out what you're trying to say apart from you like your little jump pack :lol:

In answer to my original post, I bought an upgraded aftermarket battery replacement and it’s works great, winter in coming though and that’s the test :) 

On 10/1/2018 at 9:30 AM, Nick M.K. said:

I use the NoCo as featured in the video above and it's ideal because it's super light and you can charge it in a car on the way to collecting another car :-)

Coincidentally I just got an e mail off Halfords offering trade club discounts with what seem like good deals, the noco GB70 £135 incl vat,,, looks good value, any thoughts before i spend some hard earned?

41 minutes ago, whitestone679231 said:

the noco GB70 £135 incl vat,,, looks good value

Yes it does, my GB40 was just under £100 but the GB70 is a heavier duty pack. 

Maybe when you buy try it on a cheaper car, disconnect the battery completely and try to jump start just by attaching the NoCo to the cables / clamps. It has a little red button that you press for 3 seconds to override the "no battery found" protection. Should start up to 3.5l diesel, 5l petrol.

1 minute ago, Nick M.K. said:

Maybe when you buy try it on a cheaper car, disconnect the battery completely and try to jump start just by attaching the NoCo to the cables / clamps. It has a little red button that you press for 3 seconds to override the "no battery found" protection. Should start up to 3.5l diesel, 5l petrol.

I like the look of these...

Nick, have you had any issues with yours? I.e it has let you down or says its fully charged but its not etc?

1 hour ago, Del Boy said:

Nick, have you had any issues with yours? I.e it has let you down or says its fully charged but its not etc?

No but the first time I used it was for another trader's car stranded at Blackbushe next to mine. I asked him Do you want a jump start and when he saw the unit in my jacket pockert he said: Oh, I don't have to time to wait for a charger, I'll call the key office for a booster pack. He thought I was giving him a charger :lol:

Worked brilliantly on his diesel Merc, he was impressed. 

Anyone searching for jump start packs on Amazon will see a huge choice. You might be influenced by the product reviews, but the problem is whether or not many can be trusted.

If you are not aware, there is a free website - www.fakespot.com - which uses a clever algorithm to analyse reviews for signs of "deception". You simply paste the URL of the Amazon product page into fakespot and it comes up with a 'Grade' for the reviews of that product.

I'd say it's not infallible ... but it is very interesting to see how many products seem to have *very* high levels of fake reviews! (I'm assuming that some companies must be "buying" fake reviews to get more business as quickly as possible).

Obviously fake reviews don't guarantee that a product really is bad, but I was going to buy a jumpstart pack on Amazon a few weeks ago, only to be put off because of Fakespot. Even if you don't fully trust such algorithms, it's quite good fun to try it out...  :-)
  • Like 1

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/jump-start-4000/?da=1&TC=GS-010311030&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuuHdBRCvARIsAELQRQFVSkYwQ2zC7k8MJae-fmalAGB4FRaZ6IwH7isUtM4G5Omy6QQKVZMaAnx3EALw_wcB

On my second one of these (first one got left in a sold vehicle which went hundreds of miles away), never fails to start anything and the reason i bought the exact same model was due to the fact that i was so impressed by the original one. Heavy to carry but works every time. 

• Like 1

On 05/10/2018 at 9:55 AM, Nick M.K. said:

Well I bought the GB70 from Halfords and yes it’s a great bit of kit but like a typical kid in a candy store the £135 bargain cost a lot more... after an hour strolling round Halfords with a trade card my I phone got new leads, my pushbike got an upgrade and how the fcuk can BMW charge £18 for a piddly little touch up pen when a big fcuk off aersosol cost me less than a fiver... that’s before I got to the toolboxes that are half decent quality and ideal for if working on my motorbike in my lock up... I knew I should have just ordered the booster pack online. 

Just spotted that a couple of different Jump Start packs are going on sale in "Middle of Lidl" offer on Thursday (8th Nov) - each priced at £39.99:

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=17619
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=17621

I've got no idea if they are any good... but at that price (including a 3 year warranty) they might be worth a punt...

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:11 PM, Dealer said:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/jump-start-4000/?da=1&TC=GS-010311030&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuuHdBRCvARIsAELQRQFVSkYwQ2zC7k8MJae-fmalAGB4FRaZ6IwH7isUtM4G5Omy6QQKVZMaAnx3EALw_wcB

On my second one of these (first one got left in a sold vehicle which went hundreds of miles away), never fails to start anything and the reason i bought the exact same model was due to the fact that i was so impressed by the original one. Heavy to carry but works every time. 

Gets my vote too, starts pretty much everything up though they are quite heavy. I had a snap on one but apparently the later versions are not as good and pushing £500 are expensive.

On 05/11/2017 at 1:04 PM, Mojo121 said:

I have this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLARKE-HEAVY-DUTY-CAR-BATTERY-JUMP-START-4000/401427234222?epid=1205264608&hash=item5d76ed7dae:g:UCkAAOSwqYhZ3IvJ

Will start a tank (p38 4.4 V8 RR). Charge lasts for ages. A bit heavy. Worth every penny.

A bit heavy! Understatement of the day. Still have a dodgy shoulder where I tried to pick it off the passenger seat with one outstretched arm. 

Just now, palomine motors said:

A bit heavy! Understatement of the day. Still have a dodgy shoulder where I tried to pick it off the passenger seat with one outstretched arm. 

Starts EVERYTHING though