rich89

Advertising on Motors

Further to my earlier post about Motors.co.uk

When someone calls, they get played a recorded message... If they decide to hang up before they actually get through to you, you're still charged for the lead. You then get an email to say that you've had a missed call - and you get charged for that email as a lead too!

When we signed up, we were promised a stop by from our rep once a month... Never saw her again after sign up.

So, the new Motors rep was unable to make our pencilled in appointment last week and I didn't hear anything from him yesterday as was promised. Don't get me wrong, no sleep was lost on my part but very strange behaviour all the same. Clearly they don't need the business.

We've just cancelled our contract. No sales from it since spring with 80 cars listed on there. 

More so than the lack of sales was the quality of leads that disgruntled me. Phone calls from people not knowing what car they were calling about, the price the mileage or even the colour, always up the other end of the country, never turn up to a test drive, never reply to emails etc etc.

I have my suspicions about some of the enquiries and just how real they were but we'll never know. 

Glad to be out of it, £400 a month I can put into something else.

Since signing up, i've had 2 calls. Both from the same bloke expecting a different price for his PX from the last time I told him. At this rate, i'll definitely not be carrying on with it.

To be honest is anyone getting leads from AT or ebay currently?? We’re not really at moment

I've binned motors as well bloke didn't seem bothered. Going down the pan I reckon. 

48 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

To be honest is anyone getting leads from AT or ebay currently?? We’re not really at moment

Jimbo, sweet f.a. for me recently - it’s that poor I’m thinking of getting some winter sun. 

As usual a few loons & the parasites typically wanting to lop £600 off the price via email but I don’t count them as leads - just a nuisance. 

Oh yes, not to forget the phone call from a punter concerned about running costs, MPG, tax etc. This nutter was phoning about a 3ltr petrol automatic 4x4!! I suggested a 1ltr Corsa may be more in keeping with his hoped for running costs & bade him a good day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Just with AT , everything flagged as 'great price' but waster emails aside , very little going on here..

Received an email from a dealer friend on the same road as me

Just to advise, if you’re not already aware,  Motors rep rang me up and tried to give me a rate increase. The increase is ranging from 10% to 15% based on the response I've been enjoying (according to their data - not my sales!!!) took the opportunity to put my cancellation in, having enjoyed zero sales. saving me £400 per month

Over the years had great faith in Motors, they have the backing of Cox, started with a big marketing campaign, website looked good, prices reasonable, rep was always knocking on my door so thought it would be a real challenger to existing monopoly and break the stranglehold at a fraction of the cost, unfortunately it doesn't ever seem to have taken off, tried them several times, last time about 12-18 months ago, always thinking this time would be different and always with same result - 35 cars advertised, paid about £2000 over 6-7 months, 2-3 emails but zero sales. its one I would never go near again. I've finally learned my lesson. and that extended network talk is marketing garbage.

Genuinely surprised any of you took Motors seriously. Let alone sign up with them.

Why do you think a regular punter would use their website which has zero brand recognition or media footprint ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, twerp said:

Genuinely surprised any of you took Motors seriously. Let alone sign up with them.

Why do you think a regular punter would use their website which has zero brand recognition or media footprint ?

+1

31 minutes ago, twerp said:

If your talking about the last few years then i would totally agree, however back in the day when they where linked to the local newspaper it was an amazing media for advertising the rep used to have deals left right and center to get you into the local evening post for pennies, we did very well from it. 

1 minute ago, justina3 said:

If your talking about the last few years then i would totally agree, however back in the day when they where linked to the local newspaper it was an amazing media for advertising the rep used to have deals left right and center to get you into the local evening post for pennies, we did very well from it. 

ah what memories what memories

later in that same year.............:D

I joined motors 2 months ago, by far and away from had the most leads/sales from them. Maybe it's just me,  But  I am on cargurus/at/ebay/motors,  Autotrader was a complete waste of time for the past 2 months.

We got roped into it with a geat deal... can't remember but i think it was £99+vat which was too good to pass up. Tied into 3 monthly rolling contract. After 3 months you have to give them a month notice so 4 months in total minimum (for us anyway).

In that time we didn't sell one car through Motors. Waste of money for us but worth a go at that price... nothing ventured nothing gained and all that...

Like someone said above, so many people haven't even heard of Motors. IMHO for the kind of cars we do (£10-£20k) you can't beat AT (even though they shaft you on cost) and we're finding fleabay surprisingly effect too (especially for vans).

1 hour ago, scooby-doo said:

we're finding fleabay surprisingly effect too (especially for vans).

Does anyone sell vans effectively through AutoTrader ?

Seems hard to filter for specific models. 

I'm afraid I'm with Satan, they cost but AT ultimately sell cars...... Ebay works for me aswell :) Two great video platforms to sell yourself and the car to the billies :)

40 minutes ago, twerp said:

We had lots of joy with a vw caddy on AT vans listing. Would stock loads if i could. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, twerp said:

AT still gets the hits but eBay seems to be the place to go for people looking for vans IMHO. We've pretty much given up on AT vans and just advertise on eBay. Works for us.

As for filter on AT, it's all about the end user, if he knows the difference between a panel van, a box van etc then he won't have a problem finding what he wants.

• Like 1

Had another phonecall from Motors today. Woman on the phone. Great.... THEN "I know this is cheeky but would you take £18k cash for XYZ?" Cars up for £24k :(

It will be interesting to see if Motors survives.It appears to have been originally owned by the Daily Mail who after blowing several million sold it to Manheim who probably bought it for the tax losses.Manheim seem to be in to everything,Cox Automotive,Dealer Auctions to name a few.