Sign in to follow this  
Allstars

Never been this dead before

15 hours ago, met said:

All those crazy price auction purchases are finally finding there way onto the market. There are some real chancers down this way trying to make money on some old shitters

Yep, people have been paying far too much and plenty of it is shite too. One thing’s for sure, at the lower end of the market these chancers won’t be prepping their cars to a safe standard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Yep, people have been paying far too much and plenty of it is shite too. One thing’s for sure, at the lower end of the market these chancers won’t be prepping their cars to a safe standard.

I've noticed a few 'proper' local forecourts with bangers at inflated prices. '02 Astra £1395 come on

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201710080081772?onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=ig62ln&advertising-location=at_cars&model=ASTRA&year-from=2000&year-to=2003&sort=price-desc&body-type=Hatchback&make=VAUXHALL&radius=30&page=1

Edited by met

28 minutes ago, Stephen said:

says £1000 in advert lol

Bargain reduced down from £1395:D

I reckon £695 is where it should be?

20 minutes ago, met said:

it should be in the crusher

1600 auto paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

53 minutes ago, met said:

02 5 door recognisable automatic with decent miles and a clean last couple of MOTs...be £1495 all day long for me. Prime bit of stock that. Any part ex auto under 3k and under 100k miles is like gold dust to me.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, met said:

All those crazy price auction purchases are finally finding there way onto the market. There are some real chancers down this way trying to make money on some old shitters

4 hours ago, tradex said:

We have no seen sign of prices getting sensible yet, BCA auctions cheaper that DA.....just seen an edgy 09 base model Clio in Silver (:huh:), no air or wheels, make over 16 with a short ticket to April....Drive Vauxhall car so you just know it there will be a drama too:wacko:....described as long MOT strangely so not a good start...

DA prices seem to be on another level for the gear we sell.

Funny should say that we tried to buy a £2000 Cherokee off a forecourt this week for our own towing use, 11 months ticket.

OK it's a cheapie but..among the rest of the shit this car had.... ABS light not coming up (de-bulbed?) both front tyres with outside bulges bigger than Big John Holmes jeans, washers not working, front passenger seat belt not working, nsr door not opening from inside or outside....no PDI what so ever, scary stuff.

Thankfully still ticking along nicely.  I can't get my head around the prices.  I mean I've been picking up a few golden gems luckily enough over the past 2 weeks and have gone to the halls to collect them only to find... GU17 - quiet, EN1 - quiet,  MK43 - quiet.  Sat and watched the hall to see what was going on and on at least 3 occasions out of 10 vehicles the auctioneer had his moment of glory.

Typical running start is this:-
(Caps at 12,000)
Car enters hall - WOW! Oversells it like he's selling condoms to a sex addict

Starts at 10

Miraculously 7 people bid at the same time in the hall and it's at 11,100 within 2 seconds.  P/Wood are notorious for this, I refuse to go there now.
Another trick they do is the double hall bid.
It's at 11,100 - No bids for a good few seconds... You bid, then amazingly it's spurred another 2 hall bidders on and now you're at 11,500.  It's a simple enough strategy to do as so many fall for it and they catch you when you're spam clicking.  They go back and say "Sorry Hall Bid", `Yes Mr Auctioneer, you saw 2 bids while you were starring at the monitor watching for my next bid`...  You  know what ones do it, just bid the once, they'll learn not to do it to you.

Last thing I've noticed.  They don't take your first bid.  Hall doesn't seem interested at 10 for example, auctioneer is begging for a bid.  You bid, then here come the woodworms with their several bids.  At the moment, I'll say if you're in need of stock get down the halls and off the internet. It's a running fest.

I can't remember a time when they have run prices so much.  Maybe the vendors are holding out as reserves seem high but is that down to them or BCA?  Who knows.

Hope that makes you smile and reflect on your month or if it helps anyone.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Earunder said:

Miraculously 7 people bid at the same time in the hall and it's at 11,100 within 2 seconds.  P/Wood are notorious for this, I refuse to go there now.
Another trick they do is the double hall bid.
It's at 11,100 - No bids for a good few seconds... You bid, then amazingly it's spurred another 2 hall bidders on and now you're at 11,500.  It's a simple enough strategy to do as so many fall for it and they catch you when you're spam clicking.  They go back and say "Sorry Hall Bid", `Yes Mr Auctioneer, you saw 2 bids while you were starring at the monitor watching for my next bid`...  You  know what ones do it, just bid the once, they'll learn not to do it to you.

Last thing I've noticed.  They don't take your first bid.  Hall doesn't seem interested at 10 for example, auctioneer is begging for a bid.  You bid, then here come the woodworms with their several bids.  At the moment, I'll say if you're in need of stock get down the halls and off the internet. It's a running fest.

Steve is bad for this, although does let a lot go cheaply for no hassle bidders

26 minutes ago, Earunder said:

Thankfully still ticking along nicely.  I can't get my head around the prices.  I mean I've been picking up a few golden gems luckily enough over the past 2 weeks and have gone to the halls to collect them only to find... GU17 - quiet, EN1 - quiet,  MK43 - quiet.  Sat and watched the hall to see what was going on and on at least 3 occasions out of 10 vehicles the auctioneer had his moment of glory.

Didn't want to copy and paste the whole comment but great post. I'd suggest it's down to BCA trying to retain vendors. They've lost a few to platforms like DA etc...

sold some of the cars i paid too much for and thats all you can do a £1 profit is better than a £1 lost

12 hours ago, Earunder said:

At the moment, I'll say if you're in need of stock get down the halls and off the internet. It's a running fest.

I’m glad buyers are noticing this - if you are buying via the internet you are getting ran up more than usual. It’s as simple as that.

3 hours ago, BHM said:

I’m glad buyers are noticing this - if you are buying via the internet you are getting ran up more than usual. It’s as simple as that.

Good auctioneers know who buys what etc,we buy online and we get run up all the time and often the auctioneer gets it wrong.Sometimes you can then just buy them afterwards from the provisional office.As for current prices,we buy ex fleet and I can honestly say,I have never seen stuff as cheap before.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BHM said:

Yeah it's obvious the auctioneers have been trained as they all have the distinct same strategy.  Quite comical.  I like it when I'm not actually desperate for something, in the wouldn't mind it boat and they struggle for hall bids.  They drop it then I'm in twice only then stop.  I like hearing the word provisional after, even though it says on screen reserve met.

16 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

Didn't want to copy and paste the whole comment but great post. I'd suggest it's down to BCA trying to retain vendors. They've lost a few to platforms like DA etc...

Thanks!  I thought as much although they're still at the 20k mark weekly.  A few new vendors on the top end of the market also.
DA has always been overpriced IMO.  Got one good deal in 2 years.  Everything is CAP clean or over.

16 hours ago, twerp said:

Steve is bad for this, although does let a lot go cheaply for no hassle bidders

HaHa! :ph34r:

1 hour ago, tradex said:

Agreed, but, and it's a big but.... you still need to stand behind that car so a small profit can quickly be a loss. ;)

Not trying to tell anyone here how to suck eggs, but when you have been doing it for donkeys years, you learn that it's simply not worth doing business if the margin isn't workable. Seen good guys go down this way working on slim pickings, even worse on these modern grenades.

Couple or three bad months working on small beer can mean ruin.....the joy of the car business:)

I wonder if a comfort and laziness slant is creeping into the game?

Definitely!  I look at some of the prices and face palm myself thinking...
"Where are they selling these cars?"  
Have I missed an advertising platform where people by cars for 130% over value?
Small stuff is making it's money, that's evidentual with the rise of the "street dealer", but they won't be around long. Never are as they can't cut the cost of repairing something when it screws them in the backside.

30 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Good auctioneers know who buys what etc,we buy online and we get run up all the time and often the auctioneer gets it wrong.Sometimes you can then just buy them afterwards from the provisional office.As for current prices,we buy ex fleet and I can honestly say,I have never seen stuff as cheap before.

YES! MASSIVELY YES!
Kinda obvious but don't bid early on stuff you know, he knows, you want.  Like hiding outside the halls again haha.  I sit online sometime thinking please don't let it be Mr X who auctions my car...

Ex fleet is ok, we used to have a deal with a large Ford franchise in the midlands on their old P/Ex's until they went full throttle on DA.  Didn't fall out with them over it as business is business but it was disappointing to lose them.  I prefer paying the little extra to have the cover from Assured Reports although the last few months prices have been over run and stupid.  Takes a day to get 3/4 decent priced cars as you have to sit their looking at over 1,000 go through.

I used to track 10-20 cars a day to get 2-4, now I have to track over 100 to come close to walking away kinda happy that I've got a few with a decent mark up.

9 hours ago, Earunder said:

I used to track 10-20 cars a day to get 2-4, now I have to track over 100 to come close to walking away kinda happy that I've got a few with a decent mark up.

I don't know how you manage it.

If I'm tracking a dozen cars on LiveBid in a morning, I will without fail miss 2-3 of them.

On 11/18/2017 at 8:04 PM, twerp said:

I don't know how you manage it.

If I'm tracking a dozen cars on LiveBid in a morning, I will without fail miss 2-3 of them.

Oh I miss a few, sit here with 4 windows open over 2 monitors and some of the guys say I look like I'm a horse racing addict.

• Like 1