Sign in to follow this  
Ocsltd

OCTOBER 2016 SALES

14 hours ago, M.J said:

i've also got a similar setup to MatC and Scooby.

Around 25 in stock, 15 advertised at any one time, i'm on my own and do everything from buying to selling, everything in between and after, i've even got a recovery truck to collect the stock.

I'm a fairly new start up so i'm keeping costs to a minimum for now but will shortly start outsourcing stuff like the valeting, i'm down to around 1.5 hours for a valet but that's still around 30 hours a month of valeting!

The good thing about being solo is that it has made me extra cautious about what i buy because i simply don't have the time to be sorting problem cars, i went through a period early on when i had 5 warranty claims on the go, it seemed like everything i sold came back a few days later, all that whilst still trying to sell and buy stock, that was a fun time! 

I must have OCD. No way could I valet any car in 1.5 hrs. I once spent 2 hrs going over a car I had outsourced to a kid up the road (dog hairs, dirt in crevices etc). Thus the reason I now just do it myself.

I start with a full pressure washing of engine bay, underneath, wheels and door/boot jams. Wet vac every square inch of carpet. Once dried I clean the glass and condition the plastic and generally remove scratches with 2000 paper and compound followed by a coat of Autoglym wax. Would take me a full day!!  What's wrong with me!?

Thing about doing everything yourself is, when something goes wrong you tend to blame yourself and learn from your mistakes. Others just don't care IMO

12 hours ago, Scooby who said:

I must have OCD. No way could I valet any car in 1.5 hrs. I once spent 2 hrs going over a car I had outsourced to a kid up the road (dog hairs, dirt in crevices etc). Thus the reason I now just do it myself.

I start with a full pressure washing of engine bay, underneath, wheels and door/boot jams. Wet vac every square inch of carpet. Once dried I clean the glass and condition the plastic and generally remove scratches with 2000 paper and compound followed by a coat of Autoglym wax. Would take me a full day!!  What's wrong with me!?

Thing about doing everything yourself is, when something goes wrong you tend to blame yourself and learn from your mistakes. Others just don't care IMO

Full on valet there mate!!

I only tend to wet vac the seats of the ones with stains ( almost every Mini with cloth ) and then i leave it running with the heaters on whilst polishing with autoglym resin poish. Do the plastics last.

I have an indoor showroom with daylight strip lights - shows up every spec of dust/scratch/hair/cobweb - so typically I take my cars outside when I have an appointment - or strategically placed next to the open door if its raining!! 

I follow your mantra of blaming yourself. I get really annoyed with myself if i've not cleaned a car thats been in stock for a couple of days, cos you know full well, thats the one that the phone rings on and they say, we'll be there in 20 mins - then end up rushing around like a twat to get it looking spanking.

"Failure to prepare is preparation for failure" I must repeat that to myself a hundred times a day!

• Like 1

gone a bit slow here for me too, but the 18 I've done have all been relatively chunky. Just took a deposit on a 2011 207 as well.

It's still been busy with footfall it's just been nutters for a few days. Got 3 appointments in the book for the week as well and obviously any new enquiries :)

Not sure, what's going on today, but the phone hasn't stopped ringing today!!! Tomorrow seems to be national buying day??

6 minutes ago, Ocsltd said:

Not sure, what's going on today, but the phone hasn't stopped ringing today!!! Tomorrow seems to be national buying day??

Couldn't be more different here!

Not had a phone call or walk on in two days now...I know it goes that way sometimes but one part ex Clio all week is not what I expected.

Hope it picks up tomorrow

1 hour ago, grant8064 said:

Couldn't be more different here!

Not had a phone call or walk on in two days now...I know it goes that way sometimes but one part ex Clio all week is not what I expected.

Hope it picks up tomorrow

It really is a funny old game!! 

I've got 4 confirmed appointments for 4 different cars tomorrow. Two of the cars I've had for months, the other two I've literally had for two days! :wacko:

Edited by Ocsltd

1 hour ago, Ocsltd said:

Snap - loads lined up tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Just converted my first appointment, hope the day continues in the same vein....!

Edited by Ocsltd
  • Like 1

One from one today.

Grand Scenic Sold and a 2010 Audi A1 1.6 Sport Tdi took in part chop. They have fourth kid on the way and obvs I owe them cash back as Renault was only £2,700

guessing Audi should be good news 72k on the clock with FSH. 

What a strange old day!

Out of 4 appointments, converted 2 into sales, 1 was a no show, and 1 was a complete fruit cake!!

So ended the day on 2 deals, with one more possibly in the pipeline...

1 all week, Clio diesel sold in 24 hours, took a Benz A Class back on a T Reg 1.7 diesel 69k miles proper little thing as well. 

Crazy busy today, 4 sold, my best Saturday in a while :)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tom said:

1 all week, Clio diesel sold in 24 hours, took a Benz A Class back on a T Reg 1.7 diesel 69k miles proper little thing as well. 

Haha snap...1 all week, Clio petrol sold in 48 hours (almost the same deal). Done ZERO all week other than that. Terrible week really but it happens even if it does wrangle me and make me question everything!

Decent enquiries on a 8k Golf auto and a 8k Volvo auto but right now my faith in people coming back with funds is being tested.

34 minutes ago, Tom said:

Funnily enough I took in a A170 auto in chop, 03 plate. Thing is decent apart from a knock in the steering...any ideas what might be causing it?

3 More last week, puts me on 16 for the month which is my best month this year. Only got 5 cars in my unit now with 6 on their way - expecting a quiet week full of valeting PLUS have the kids all day weds as its half term!

On 10/22/2016 at 7:31 PM, grant8064 said:

Haha snap...1 all week, Clio petrol sold in 48 hours (almost the same deal). Done ZERO all week other than that. Terrible week really but it happens even if it does wrangle me and make me question everything!

Decent enquiries on a 8k Golf auto and a 8k Volvo auto but right now my faith in people coming back with funds is being tested.

Funnily enough I took in a A170 auto in chop, 03 plate. Thing is decent apart from a knock in the steering...any ideas what might be causing it?

the 10 uj's:lol:

• Like 1

They used to be common for a steering column, I think the replacement part was modified somehow. Memory from working for Merc when they were new is a little hazy these days!

• Like 1

Sold a 307 CC yesterday and an Astra Coupe SXI that we only had in this morning, had put it as 'due in' on AT and Facebook.

24 for the month so far.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, grant8064 said:

One today...Mondeo titanium, only had it in stock since January :huh:

I used to do well out of the Mondeo's but struggle to shift them now, especially if the spec is anything lower than a titanium. Had an edge and zetec that were sitting there since the beginning of the year, both went this month but i won't be stocking another Mondeo unless it is super spec'd