Sign in to follow this  
Ocsltd

OCTOBER 2016 SALES

Whenever I post I will have 30-35 in stock, basically I always have that number. But agreed that does give it some more relevance.

2 Monday and 2 Yesterday 

I carry 12/14 cars in stock and I budget to do 3 a week. Currently sat on 9 for the month so hopefully another record breaker for us.

Small fry I know, however working alone and being valeter/admin/driver/sales/dog walker is tough!!

Hope it stays this busy for the next few weeks, dont want the dreaded 3rd week syndrome.....shhhhhhhhhhhh

30 minutes ago, Mat C said:

2 Monday and 2 Yesterday 

I carry 12/14 cars in stock and I budget to do 3 a week. Currently sat on 9 for the month so hopefully another record breaker for us.

Small fry I know, however working alone and being valeter/admin/driver/sales/dog walker is tough!!

Hope it stays this busy for the next few weeks, dont want the dreaded 3rd week syndrome.....shhhhhhhhhhhh

You valet them yourself?! When do you find time to buy cars, if you're selling that many?? 

Working solo myself, I know what a challenge it is trying to do everything!!

Fusion sold this afternoon and took an 11 plate Peugeot Partner Teepee with 40k on the clock in p/ex.

And got a deal pending on a Scenic, quite hopeful. Bought some decent stock too this week.

On 15 for the month.

5 hours ago, SC Derby said:

Whenever I post I will have 30-35 in stock, basically I always have that number. But agreed that does give it some more relevance.

What's your average Autotrader bill per month?

1 hour ago, SC Derby said:

£1800+vat on a 4 week.

£2250+vat on a 5 week :(

Wow! :o 

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Wow! :o 

You really don't want to see my last A/T bill :unsure:

• Like 1

I carry 35 - 40 including about five or six sub 2k part ex's.

Done five retail and two part ex's this week which i'm very happy with with seeing as my partner's away for a few weeks on holiday. Few have had big lumps in them too which always helps.

Probably gonna hit a slow third week though as the stock levels dropping.

We stock up to 60 cars with 40 advertised on AT. Our bill is £2700-£3300 a month inc VAT.

Sold 8 this week so far which is not bad for this time of year.

On 13/10/2016 at 0:09 PM, Ocsltd said:

You valet them yourself?! When do you find time to buy cars, if you're selling that many?? 

Working solo myself, I know what a challenge it is trying to do everything!!

Yep, 

Valet them, De dog them, De hair grip them, De makeup them. minis are always either beautiful or caked in orange foundation. I go through about 20 bloody microfibres on each car.

I have to do everything as you'll know so can be very difficult to buy. I spend a great deal of time on BCA website in the evenings and buy mainly from there online or Dealer Auction etc.. I go once a month to the local BCA in Nottm to the BMW/Mini sale and usually pick up 4/5 cars there.

Get them delivered straight to my garage for prep and then here for valet after.

I did 8 last week which was my best week ever - did 4 yesterday, was non stop from 9am till 5pm it was great. 

Got a little appointment in half hour too on a tradie but makes a decent amount too.

I'm on for a record month again ( Hopefully ) but I am desperate for stock. My problem is i'm too picky.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mat C said:

Yep, 

Valet them, De dog them, De hair grip them, De makeup them. minis are always either beautiful or caked in orange foundation. I go through about 20 bloody microfibres on each car.

I have to do everything as you'll know so can be very difficult to buy. I spend a great deal of time on BCA website in the evenings and buy mainly from there online or Dealer Auction etc.. I go once a month to the local BCA in Nottm to the BMW/Mini sale and usually pick up 4/5 cars there.

Get them delivered straight to my garage for prep and then here for valet after.

I did 8 last week which was my best week ever - did 4 yesterday, was non stop from 9am till 5pm it was great. 

Got a little appointment in half hour too on a tradie but makes a decent amount too.

I'm on for a record month again ( Hopefully ) but I am desperate for stock. My problem is i'm too picky.

Fair play to you, you're obviously doing something right!! I'm still just gobsmacked how you have time to valet them. When I valet them myself, I always find that just as I pick up the pressure washer and get the car wet, gaurenteed the phone will ring and it will be the most pedantic customer ever, asking about tyre tread patterns and when the timing belt was last changed. Which would result in my going back to said car, than has now completely dried and has lovely water marks embedded everywhere!! Being as busy as you are, how do you find the time, to bid online / watch the auction / deal with enquiries / do all the handovers. Can I come and watch you for a week, please??! Do you wear a cape??

Just now, Ocsltd said:

Fair play to you, you're obviously doing something right!! I'm still just gobsmacked how you have time to valet them. When I valet them myself, I always find that just as I pick up the pressure washer and get the car wet, gaurenteed the phone will ring and it will be the most pedantic customer ever, asking about tyre tread patterns and when the timing belt was last changed. Which would result in my going back to said car, than has now completely dried and has lovely water marks embedded everywhere!! Being as busy as you are, how do you find the time, to bid online / watch the auction / deal with enquiries / do all the handovers. Can I come and watch you for a week, please??! Do you wear a cape??

Ha ha, you actually made me Laugh out loud. 

I find i just do it. I have got a full valet down to about 1 1/2 hours. Mini's come up really well with a good clean. I try to do 2 at a time. i just stick to a structure when cleaning, I do everything the same way each time and stick to it, otherwise i get waylaid and sidetracked. i HATE cleaning cars too, so the faster its done, the better. usually first job if theres anything to do so its done and out the way for the day.

I actually don't get that many enquiries ( Last week was 14 and did 8 deals ) so onyl a few a day to deal with and most of them want to come at the weekend so sat and sun are my selling days, try to make sure everything looks the nuts on a Friday before I go home.

I get to work at 8.30 am and sometimes don't leave until 6.30/7 so i guess its just long hours. I usually leave a load of proxy bids the night before and then see what i end up with the following day, unless i get time to sit and watch the auction, however thats when its tempting to always go another few £££ over your proxy bid.

I only have 8 cars in stock currently and they're all clean, so its only a case of cleaning as you go when you buy them, but I need 7/8 cars otherwise its going to be a very quiet few weeks!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mat C said:

Ha ha, you actually made me Laugh out loud. 

I find i just do it. I have got a full valet down to about 1 1/2 hours. Mini's come up really well with a good clean. I try to do 2 at a time. i just stick to a structure when cleaning, I do everything the same way each time and stick to it, otherwise i get waylaid and sidetracked. i HATE cleaning cars too, so the faster its done, the better. usually first job if theres anything to do so its done and out the way for the day.

I actually don't get that many enquiries ( Last week was 14 and did 8 deals ) so onyl a few a day to deal with and most of them want to come at the weekend so sat and sun are my selling days, try to make sure everything looks the nuts on a Friday before I go home.

I get to work at 8.30 am and sometimes don't leave until 6.30/7 so i guess its just long hours. I usually leave a load of proxy bids the night before and then see what i end up with the following day, unless i get time to sit and watch the auction, however thats when its tempting to always go another few £££ over your proxy bid.

I only have 8 cars in stock currently and they're all clean, so its only a case of cleaning as you go when you buy them, but I need 7/8 cars otherwise its going to be a very quiet few weeks!

Being as busy as you are, is it not viable to employ a valeter?

11 minutes ago, Ocsltd said:

Being as busy as you are, is it not viable to employ a valeter?

I don't want to employ anyone if I can help it. and realistically i don't have enough work for a full time valeter. i will keep honing my skills for the time being! ha ha

Just now, Mat C said:

I don't want to employ anyone if I can help it. and realistically i don't have enough work for a full time valeter. i will keep honing my skills for the time being! ha ha

I admire your attitude and time management.... 

P.S When can I come and watch you for a week?!! ;):lol:

Just now, Ocsltd said:

I admire your attitude and time management.... 

P.S When can I come and watch you for a week?!! ;):lol:

Thanks, 

AS long as you make the coffee and clean some cars for free, then i'm all ears!:lol:

Just now, Mat C said:

Thanks, 

AS long as you make the coffee and clean some cars for free, then i'm all ears!:lol:

I think that sounds like a very good deal!! I'll start next Monday!!

• Like 1

I think we have 12 left the building with 3 ready to go (deposit taken) we tend to use the £5 hand car wash to get them washed and then finish them off ourselves as we don't have running water :(

6 hours ago, Mat C said:

I find i just do it. I have got a full valet down to about 1 1/2 hours.

Bloody hell it takes me a whole day at least.....you must buy very very clean stock

I do everything myself also, have 20-25 n stock. Do the buying, selling, phone calls, advertising, valeting, mechanical, driving to the test centre etc. To be honest it's too much and I have absolutely no time to myself, it's just work work work. My stress levels are off the scale

• Like 1

i've also got a similar setup to MatC and Scooby.

Around 25 in stock, 15 advertised at any one time, i'm on my own and do everything from buying to selling, everything in between and after, i've even got a recovery truck to collect the stock.

I'm a fairly new start up so i'm keeping costs to a minimum for now but will shortly start outsourcing stuff like the valeting, i'm down to around 1.5 hours for a valet but that's still around 30 hours a month of valeting!

The good thing about being solo is that it has made me extra cautious about what i buy because i simply don't have the time to be sorting problem cars, i went through a period early on when i had 5 warranty claims on the go, it seemed like everything i sold came back a few days later, all that whilst still trying to sell and buy stock, that was a fun time! 

Edited by M.J

Just sold a 17 year old Lotus Elise on a rainy day in October, and on a tuesday.......

This job never ceases to amaze me!!

• Like 2

1 More today - little tradie Cooper D but Mint - 

However that leaves me on 13 for the month - I HATE being on 13, so need a deal quick!!

Auction Thursday so hopefully stock up for the last week rush!!