Sign in to follow this  
sparky

Another Dealer Auction tale of woe

This is the problem with relying on someone else to deliver the car, The dealer says the service book was in the car, you say it was not when the car was delivered. It is your word against theirs i am afraid as annoying as it is. I dont see how you could make a claim against them unless the car delivery guy marked it down as having no service book present on collection? 

I try to pick up everything myself these days but when i cant i make sure before the delivery guy takes the car he checks everything is as described, including all paperwork present.

All respectable delivery companies take a delivery form and get it signed both ends, usually states exactly what was present  down to V5, # of keys, sat nav discs, service books and stuff and also a condition diagram including scuffs and scrapes.

If this was done and signed both ends there would be no leg to stand on (for the dealer) surely?

Service book and any other 'valuable' docs should be kept at the office and signed for on collection?

Bought a Saab from a Vauxhall dealer, full damage not mentioned however we thrashed out a deal on site so happy with the cost outcome. Meanwhile a couple of employees who were initially looking for the lost keys for it drop into conversation how it's one of the guys there's brother's car. Not really in the spirit of main dealer part exchanges especially when it had cleared been lashed up for an MOT at their place with Landsail tyres on it etc!

Why is the trade out to get the trade, surely we should be helping each other out?!

18 minutes ago, Daylight said:

Why is the trade out to get the trade, surely we should be helping each other out?!

Couldn't agree more, we should be helping each other out otherwise within a few years imagine how difficult it'll be to compete against the marketing mite of the big guns. Unfortunately IMHO for years we've been taught to fight against each other by various factions of our trade and some old habits like hiding under the "Trade Sale" banner when trading a car need banishing for good. We all make mistakes, nobody is perfect but don't let your mistakes compromise your ethics.  

51 minutes ago, SC Derby said:

All respectable delivery companies take a delivery form and get it signed both ends, usually states exactly what was present  down to V5, # of keys, sat nav discs, service books and stuff and also a condition diagram including scuffs and scrapes.

If this was done and signed both ends there would be no leg to stand on (for the dealer) surely?

Exactly. So was this done? If the delivery driver has proof to say there was no service book on collection then i would be chasing them for a refund etc but without this proof it is one word against another so no chance of getting anywhere.

Just had my first bad experience with a dealer auction seller, long story short, drove all the way from South Yorkshire to the north east, car wasn't as described, no mention of an engine management, or the steering light was on and may have a steering issue.......... to be honest I should have known when in the description it said payment required before pick up, no refunds given once driven away, no mechanical checks made, allow £200 for any repairs. They accepted the rejection of sale but what gets my gripe is 5 mins earlier whilst waiting in the reception the salesman was ripping an old chaps part ex to shreds telling him every intricate detail of what was wrong with his car but when putting an ad on dealer auction Couldn't even mention the Christmas tree dash!!!!!! surely dealer auction need to introduce a feedback rating system, I've got my man going to Hertfordshire on Wednesday and don't want to have another episode like this! 

I think name and shame the dealers on here - simple as that , DA Will be reluctant to introduce start / feedback system - I think we have a ' thread on here' ..may be call it " Dealer watch " and on other forums where we ALL Name & Shame dealers who try to stitch us all up ! 

• Like 1

The problem would be knowing which dealer it is. You get a rough location i.e Manchester, Derby etc but that could be a number of dealers on DA. You would have to try and guess from the picture background which dealer it is. Then all they would do is take the images in a different location

2 hours ago, CJ Underhill said:

The problem would be knowing which dealer it is. You get a rough location i.e Manchester, Derby etc but that could be a number of dealers on DA. You would have to try and guess from the picture background which dealer it is. Then all they would do is take the images in a different location

You can at least give a warning, so that when someone does 'win' they can take a view if they want to proceed or not. Multiple cancelled sales should concentrate their minds.

Edited by GreenGiant

3 hours ago, umesh said:

I think name and shame the dealers on here - simple as that , DA Will be reluctant to introduce start / feedback system - I think we have a ' thread on here' ..may be call it " Dealer watch " and on other forums where we ALL Name & Shame dealers who try to stitch us all up ! 

Whilst in the interests of balance, naming those that do the job properly as there are plenty of them on there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sparky said:

Whilst in the interests of balance, naming those that do the job properly as there are plenty of them on there.

ABSOLUTELY ! #Agree :) the Good guys need to named and Honoured #TrueProfessionals #rare 

Never pay by BACS, pay by debit card once you get there, after you've gone through all paperwork and checked over car .

I love it when the descriptions say "has a few scuffs and scrapes" yet when taking the photos they are standing around 10ft from the car and at an angle so you cant see any of these scrapes...

Rule No 1

If you are buying a Ford off a Ford dealer, or a Vauxhall off a Vauxhall dealer etc and it would normally be a good piece of retail stock then avoid! They have found a problem and are bailing out!

• Like 1

I used to buy a fair bit of DA but now only buy from a very very select dealers I've already dealt with. It just seems main dealers are happy to screw over the independents and I just got tired of having my time and money wasted going to collect cars that when you turn up have obvious issues or dmamage that was unreported, DA don't want to know about any issues are are very unwilling to help. My worse experience came from the Vauxhall dealer in hartlepool who advertised a Alfa 159 as all good which struggled to start, leaked oil, had 2 tyres down to cords, paint spilt on the rear leather seats (obviously I left the car with them) and I only got to see the car after hanging around in the showroom for 40 minutes, there was only a service customer and myself in the place. All sales staff were hidden in the managers office and in the end I just walk up and knocked on the door which I was told was rude!!!

Oh and searching DA on the way home the Alfa was relisted with the exact same advert hours later adapted DA assured me they would be investigating. DA just said some dealers are better that others but there's little they could do. 

Edited by James Bush
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, James Bush said:

"DA just said some dealers are better that others but there's little they could do. "

Nothing they could do ! Really . very simple ban the dealer for dishonest advertising that is affecting their business and reputation ! sounds like they are happy to take the money...!  

Can you Adam and Eve it, DA are finalists for used car product of the year in the car dealer magazine awards. Has the world gone mad?

• Like 2

I'm not really a fan of feedback systems and reviews as it's easy for someone to leave negativity on both for trivial things, I'm working on a platform now which has a system built in as follows, a car described as clean needs less than £100 refurb, average less than £300, below less than £500 anything over £500 then don't bother using the system. I also give a guide on how to work out your cars condition with examples and prices. Anyone using this system knows the standards before using it. For instance £100 for a panel repaint with a light repair so if you pay £200 you adjust your offer accordingly. Eg if you'll give book for a clean car you'd set your offer to £100 behind book. Now if the deal doesn't go through because of a mis understanding I.e the seller missed something and a financial adjustment isn't made then a black mark goes against them. We will try and work with that dealer to improve their standards, however, if they've completely tried to pull the wool over someone then the buying dealer blocks them which goes down as a final warning another block and they're out.

therefore putting the onus on me to uphold the quality of people using it. Let's hope other platforms can introduce something similar.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tradex said:

:angry:this is actually a serious point. I don't know any of my most reasonable colleges whom hasn't had a proper bad experience with Dealer Auction so whom votes for these finalists? In the same way a certain car sales legal service always gets rave reviews, when I know more than a few with bad tastes:ph34r:

A DA bad experience, which equals either not purchasing or having extra work over and the norm is extra expense, time and effort which all eqates to money from the sale.

Things have changed a lot in s/h car sales in recent years and it really is a tough business to be in, without all these extra 'complications'. Looks great from the outside though!

Sytner do a feedback system which seems to work well, yes there is always someone moaning about the cigar lighter not working on a 16 year Focus but on the whole it's OK.

The only reason I can think for DA not having a feedback system is their own reluctance to promote this for some reason, maybe they see it as good point for their customers whom have a choice afterall of the online auction system they use.

I see feedback as a benifit all round. A feedback system would concentrate the vendors mind a lot more and they would take the sale of their stock more seriously, rather than hand the DA sales over to someone with time on their hands. I think their stock would achieve better prices with more robust descriptions.... cars with faults listed still make the money as I believe it promotes confidence, that there are no unwanted surprises with the car.

just my 2 cents and as always people will vote with their feet...and have by the looks of it

What bad taste have you had from this Legal services firm (we all know who you mean) :D  

Your experience could help me determine if they are worth dealing with if i get into a Jam