Sign in to follow this  
metcars

Women and flat tyres!

I noticed two cars today with the RAC changing wheels at the side of the road. Both women. Both newish cars. It’s 2022. Do car manufacturers not allow for ladies to change flats at the side of the road. Sure, I’m not saying pregnant ladies or ladies of a certain age. But both ladies I saw were In their 30s and would probably have gym membership? 
Even if the RAC offer a flat tyres ‘bolt on’ to their membership, who wants to wait a few hours for a man in a van?

So, would your wife/girlfriend change a wheel at the roadside? 

I know of a lot of guys who could not change a wheel. I live in a rural county and have stopped and helped many people change a wheel over the last 34 years I have been here, I would say I have helped more guys than gals. Let us all face the facts, a lot of techs, tyre fitters bang the studs up that hard that many people would struggle, even more so with a flimsy wheel brace.

Edited by Screenman

2 hours ago, Screenman said:

I know of a lot of guys who could not change a wheel. I live in a rural county and have stopped and helped many people change a wheel over the last 34 years I have been here, I would say I have helped more guys than gals. Let us all face the facts, a lot of techs, tyre fitters bang the studs up that hard that many people would struggle, even more so with a flimsy wheel brace.

That’s all true. But it got me thinking that I’ve never seen a woman changing a wheel. I’m not criticising women, it’s not a pleasant job at the best of times even for us guys? And I wonder how much thought manufacturers put into it. Apart from a tin of magic sealer and a pump.

As a side note. I remember from my youth (yonks ago) a mates mother who wouldn’t even pump her own fuel?

On 10/21/2022 at 9:09 AM, metcars said:

wouldn’t even pump her own fuel?

Customer we had last week said shes never filled her car up :huh:

Then again we have a couple of limp wristed guys , they are so bloody useless , once a month they troll up and my daughter checks their oil levels , these are Married guys with kids as well .Imagine them changing a tyre , wouldn't know which way to turn a bloody nut :o 

On 10/22/2022 at 9:38 AM, David Horgan said:

Customer we had last week said shes never filled her car up :huh:

Then again we have a couple of limp wristed guys , they are so bloody useless , once a month they troll up and my daughter checks their oil levels , these are Married guys with kids as well .Imagine them changing a tyre , wouldn't know which way to turn a bloody nut :o 

Would your daughter change a flat at the roadside?

most modern stuff doesn't have a spare wheel but a compressor and a tin of goo, 9/10 the goo is as much use as a haircut was on telly savalas, often the tyre is a mess before you realise its flat

I reckon 80% are now too lazy and too busy busy to want to swap their own tyres out anyway

ping pinga new massage has just arrived for them as they pose with flat tyre

On 10/23/2022 at 1:29 PM, metcars said:

Would your daughter change a flat at the roadside?

She would actually , assuming she can get the wheel nuts undone then yes perfectly capable of changing a wheel .

but then again she can also change a timing belt too . 

18 hours ago, It's me said:

most modern stuff doesn't have a spare wheel but a compressor and a tin of goo, 9/10 the goo is as much use as a haircut was on telly savalas, often the tyre is a mess before you realise its flat

I reckon 80% are now too lazy and too busy busy to want to swap their own tyres out anyway

ping pinga new massage has just arrived for them as they pose with flat tyre

Kojak nice one,he would be ideal for the Met right now………Who loves ya baby. ( apologies to the millennials )

Most cars come with tyre sealant now. Useless evil stuff.

Not a lot of difference between the young guys and girls these days. Apparently sperm counts are half what they were 30 years ago - additives in plastics affecting male hormones is possibly the culprit.

10 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

Not a lot of difference between the young guys and girls these days. Apparently sperm counts are half what they were 30 years ago - additives in plastics affecting male hormones is possibly the culprit.

Parents not taking the time to educate their kids is a massive problem.

16 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

So if they were more virile they should be able to pump the flat tyre up with sperm? 

5 hours ago, Screenman said:

Parents not taking the time to educate their kids is a massive problem.

So like a fireside chat. You read the owners manual to the kids at bedtime?:D

13 hours ago, metcars said:

So if they were more virile they should be able to pump the flat tyre up with sperm? 

Well it would probably be more effective than tyre sealant..

As already said its not just women, over the years stopped and help many change wheels, both men and women. many have no idea where to start. .. But if you think about it even if you don't know would be easy to watch Youtube and attempt if you were stuck, but they are just not interested and will wait for hours to be rescused ( thats when they have a spare in the boot) ..Don't forget the 'locking bolt' .. times customers tell us in the workshop they've left it at home safe ........ a 2 minute job tunns into a nightmare/ abort job or re-book back !! 

1 hour ago, umesh said:

As already said its not just women, over the years stopped and help many change wheels, both men and women. many have no idea where to start. .. But if you think about it even if you don't know would be easy to watch Youtube and attempt if you were stuck, but they are just not interested and will wait for hours to be rescused ( thats when they have a spare in the boot) ..Don't forget the 'locking bolt' .. times customers tell us in the workshop they've left it at home safe ........ a 2 minute job tunns into a nightmare/ abort job or re-book back !! 

and don't forget if you Diss the tyre fitters when having that tyre that loses 2psi each month attended to and getting in the way sticking your finger in the bead as it's just about to seal they tend to forget to give you the locking wheel nut socket back

;):D

23 hours ago, umesh said:

Hi Umesh 

My daughter has a guy that comes every month for her to check his oil , complete useless type of guy and even his girlfriend says hes hopeless . He bought a Polo GTI off of us and hes terrified of it .  

On 10/30/2022 at 6:21 PM, metcars said:

So like a fireside chat. You read the owners manual to the kids at bedtime?:D

No, but I did teach them some basic mechanics.

On 11/6/2022 at 7:28 AM, Screenman said:

No, but I did teach them some basic mechanics.

Being able to correctly tension a fan belt is a skill that will stay with them always! :D

• Like 1