Sign in to follow this  
DCS01

Report or not report?

Just taken in an old 137k 54 plate jalopy.  Looked a straight thing.  MOT in Jan no advisories.  Just went to put a ticket on yesterday and there is a massive list below. I hate how other dealers just s*it over each other as this trade is hard enough, but this really annoyed me and I’m tempted to report them.  There is no way this car should have passed in Jan, How many other cars are they putting through and endangering people?  

Should I just let this go or is reporting doing the right thing?

Repair immediately (major defects):

• Nearside Rear Outer Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength sill panel (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Offside Rear Outer Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength sill panel (5.3.6 (a) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 (b) (i))
  • Offside Rear Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 (b) (i))
  • Rear Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Inner Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced sill panel (6.1.1 (c) (i))
  • Offside Rear Inner Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced sill panel (6.1.1 (c) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Offside Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))

1 hour ago, DCS01 said:

There is no way this car should have passed in Jan, How many other cars are they putting through and endangering people?  

Had this car come in to us I would not hesitate to report.

Edited by TRADE SURVIVOR

A friendly MOT could have been done by a connected party working in the testing station.The owner of the testing station who has probably invested a lot of money may not be involved.How many miles has it done since January and the previous MOT.You could contact the testing station and draw their attention to it but I would not do any more in case of any reprisals.Be carefull you never know who you could be dealing with.May we enquire what this ‘jalopy’ is which you appear to want to retail.

1 hour ago, DCS01 said:

I differ totally to TRADE SURVIVOR. MOT complaints are heard for the first month, or 3 months for corrosion. Something like almost 5 months have now passed, don’t waste your phone call because they will not be interested. 

We all know there are MOTs & there are MOTs, sometimes looking at the mileage since MOT, tax end date can give you a clue there’s a tale, sometimes not.

All it’s failed on are a couple of bits of welding. The rest are advisories so all you are really complaining about are the failures & I’m afraid holes in end-of-life cars can, and do, appear in the space of 4 to 5 months.

Expecting a 16/17year old car to fly through an MOT suggests your a ‘glass half full’ type of person. I repeatedly hear the trade say ‘it passed its last MOT with flying colours so it should be ok this time’ :rolleyes:. I deal in a bit of old shite & old cars do NOT fly through MOT after MOT without a bit of hand/wallet interaction.

Edited by BHM
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, trade vet said:

A friendly MOT could have been done by a connected party working in the testing station.The owner of the testing station who has probably invested a lot of money may not be involved.How many miles has it done since January and the previous MOT.You could contact the testing station and draw their attention to it but I would not do any more in case of any reprisals.Be carefull you never know who you could be dealing with.May we enquire what this ‘jalopy’ is which you appear to want to retail.

Oh no fear. I’m not retailing it.  Not worth my hassle.

Remove my car jobbie

15 minutes ago, BHM said:

I differ totally to TRADE SURVIVOR. MOT complaints are heard for the first month, or 3 months for corrosion. Something like almost 5 months have now passed, don’t waste your phone call because they will not be interested. 

We all know there are MOTs & there are MOTs, sometimes looking at the mileage since MOT, tax end date can give you a clue there’s a tale, sometimes not.

All it’s failed on are a couple of bits of welding. The rest are advisories so all you are really complaining about are the failures & I’m afraid holes in end-of-life cars can, and do, appear in the space of 4 to 5 months.

Expecting a 16/17year old car to fly through an MOT suggests your a ‘glass half full’ type of person. I repeatedly hear the trade say ‘it passed its last MOT with flying colours so it should be ok this time’ :rolleyes:. I deal in a bit of old shite & old cars do NOT fly through MOT after MOT without a bit of hand/wallet interaction.

To be clear,  I didn’t expect it to fly through. I was fully expecting some work.  But the guy who did the MOT is pretty much 100% sure that there is no way that car wasn’t in that condition.  There is only 700 miles between end of Jan and now. 

32 minutes ago, BHM said:

This we know. However, point DCS01 made was that the test in January was 100 percent clean sheet no advisories. 

If you are not retailing it why are you testing a 17 year old car that has already got 8 month test?

Its over 3 months since test so no point reporting.

Also mots are very opinionated, last year we got a 12 year old car that had been tested 4 months ago at main dealer with 8 advisories. Took it for a fresh test, passed with no advisories. 

24 minutes ago, BIGNIT said:

If you are not retailing it why are you testing a 17 year old car that has already got 8 month test?

Its over 3 months since test so no point reporting.

Also mots are very opinionated, last year we got a 12 year old car that had been tested 4 months ago at main dealer with 8 advisories. Took it for a fresh test, passed with no advisories. 

I was going to have a go with it as long as the spend wasn’t much.  With a clear MOT end of Jan even taking into consideration a few bits needed doing it might have been worth it.  Bodywork and carpets were clean.  

1 hour ago, DCS01 said:

I was fully expecting some work.

That’s all it needs so I’m unsure why you’re unhappy.

1 hour ago, TRADE SURVIVOR said:

However, point DCS01 made was that the test in January was 100 percent clean sheet no advisories. 

So what? Advisories are a pass.

Sorry but I don’t understand what you & DCS01 think is so wrong. It’s a 17yr old car that’s only failed on 2 bits of welding almost 5 months, 700 miles & the season of WINTER. Tbh without knowing the type of car, reg etc. we’re all in the dark anyway.

16 minutes ago, DCS01 said:

I was going to have a go with it as long as the spend wasn’t much.

Do you really class a bit of welding & a splash of Underseal as too much of a spend? 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BHM said:

That’s all it needs so I’m unsure why you’re unhappy.

So what? Advisories are a pass.

Sorry but I don’t understand what you & DCS01 think is so wrong. It’s a 17yr old car that’s only failed on 2 bits of welding almost 5 months, 700 miles & the season of WINTER. Tbh without knowing the type of car, reg etc. we’re all in the dark anyway.

Do you really class a bit of welding & a splash of Underseal as too much of a spend? 

I’m not unhappy with the fact I would have to spend the money. I’m going to scrap it and move on. I was unhappy of the fact that someone has passed an MOT less than 1k miles ago and said it was fine when it obviously wasn’t.  But this is why I was asking opinions and I will leave it.

Yes I do class it as too much spend when it’s probably going to be about £400 odd quid at the subcontractor garage and I would rather sell the hours more profitably at our workshop.  For a sub £1500 car it’s not worth the risk/reward. 

MOTs are very hit and miss whether they are dodgy or not. You could take any car to ten different MOT stations and I guarantee you will get very different reports.

• Like 2

As a former MoT inspector I can assure that's not a 'massive list'! In fact if the car is an average mass-market traffic-jammer its not too bad at all for 137k and 16-17 years old. Its basically nearing end-of-life anyway, but some of our East European comrades would take it off your hands and soon have it welded up. You are outside the time limitation for reporting it.

The guy's point at the start of this thread was that the car in question had a clean sheet in January and has since covered some 700 miles. 

Edited by TRADE SURVIVOR

10 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

As a former MoT inspector I can assure that's not a 'massive list'! In fact if the car is an average mass-market traffic-jammer its not too bad at all for 137k and 16-17 years old.

Thank fuck for a bit of common sense.

I honestly thought this was a civilian posting 'n moaning about a car he had bought from a dealer at first. :D

Tested in January and, we are what, June all bar a few hours. MOTs are always subjective, always will be too especially on a tender bit of bodywork and discs. 

Come on guys, we all know miles covered after ticket means bugger all. Whom hasn't had something fail soon after a ticket, I can't believe what I'm reading here? 

It's an ancient, leggy jalopy as you call it and failed on two bits of welding....that's good going isn't it? Repair it or scrap and simply move on

I'd like to borrow your crystal ball though for next weeks Lottery if I may;)

I just reread that, I think you are saying that you bought it off another dealer, is that so? .... " I hate how other dealers just s*it over each other as this trade is hard enough, but this really annoyed me and I’m tempted to report them" 

Edited by Frank Cannon

Scrap it forget it and move on is my advice.

9 hours ago, Row said:

Scrap it forget it and move on is my advice.

Scrap it? The OP claims the work will cost £400 (it must need an awful lot of welding for £400) but the car is also worth £1500. Although tbh it all sounds like bollocks to me.

Anyhow I certainly wouldn’t be chucking £1100 onto the scrap pile!

Edited by BHM

If it had had an inspection ie a pdi prior to taking for an mot all this wouldn't be fact

It’s the motor trade. If there is money in it fix it. If not, get rid and move into the next one.

On 6/1/2021 at 11:28 AM, ankilpom said:

There is no way this car should have passed in Jan, How many other cars are they putting through and endangering people?

Did you time travel back to January and personally inspect it?

The appeals time limit is 3 months for corrosion.

On 5/29/2021 at 7:39 AM, DCS01 said:

Just taken in an old 137k 54 plate jalopy.  Looked a straight thing.  MOT in Jan no advisories.  Just went to put a ticket on yesterday and there is a massive list below. I hate how other dealers just s*it over each other as this trade is hard enough, but this really annoyed me and I’m tempted to report them.  There is no way this car should have passed in Jan, How many other cars are they putting through and endangering people?  

• Nearside Rear Outer Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength sill panel (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Offside Rear Outer Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength sill panel (5.3.6 (a) (i))

• Nearside Rear Inner Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced sill panel (6.1.1 (c) (i))
  • Offside Rear Inner Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced sill panel (6.1.1 (c) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Offside Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))

Out of curiosity- what car is it?

One that we are not allowed to know :lol:

This really is a strange thread!  A 16-17 year old car and all that MoT is telling us is that its rusty. No surprise really. Prob wouldn't cost more than a couple hundred maximum to get a ticket on it. If you're routinely trading in older cars (which presumably you are, since you appear to have sourced it from another trader) then surely this is all in a day's work?

4 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

This really is a strange thread!  A 16-17 year old car and all that MoT is telling us is that its rusty. No surprise really. Prob wouldn't cost more than a couple hundred maximum to get a ticket on it. If you're routinely trading in older cars (which presumably you are, since you appear to have sourced it from another trader) then surely this is all in a day's work?

It's a surreal one for sure

On 5/29/2021 at 7:39 AM, DCS01 said:

Let it go.

You described it as a jalopy yourself. I assume you paid accordingly. Advisories are precisely that, advisories. You seem reluctant to say what the car is, but there was an excellent thread recently regarding the high price of scrap, so a good return (and maybe even some profit) should be heading your way.

And speak to the garage YOU use. A good one will carry out a pre MOT check thus saving you the hassle and enabling you to be the nasty trader who passes it on in the trade.