Andy Entwistle

Electronic Parking Brakes

Is it just me, or does everyone hate these. We had 5 premium hatches on test yesterday and it was a welcome change to get into the new V40 and find a real parking brake. My father in law finds the electric ones impossible to fathom out ( is it on or off, etc), he's 73, but he's ex trade, so should know better ! 

Manufacturers claim its to help people who don't have the strength to put manual ones on, but if they can't do that, should they really be driving.

I now find out that these units are VERY prone to failure, water getting into the seals and shagging the motors. Given that they are £700 a corner, this isn't good news ! I have a mate with an off road vehicle from a well known manufacturer of "go anywhere" vehicles. He uses it for on road and a little very light and occasional green laneing.

Its gone through 3 of these in the last 18 months. His local franchise told him not to use it off road !

• Like 1

Just had a VW Passat for 18months and i hated the stupid electric handbrake. Never had any trouble but its just not driver friendly, although the hill start assist was good, but you should be able to do that with a helping hand. 

It's the same with electronic tailgates - I don't need the help! It's actually quicker to shut it myself.

Same with these parking brakes. Why do they take so long to disengage? Grrrrr.

• Like 1

Electric or manual, up is still on and down is still off....yet it gets me everytime, when my 2 year old drives I've got to explain....cassets vhs and hand brake skids!!

Tell me about it! We jump in and out of cars all the time and they're situated in completely different places every time.

Surely it's a 'premium' gimmick - you don't see them on many lower priced cars and maybe they make owners feel more 'special'... Helping in the pub bragging rights!

I've had 2 Audi A6 both of which had electric park brakes, found them to be really easy to use, always disengaged quickly and a real help when parked on a hill.

The only time I missed having a handle was in the snow...

I agree James 

both a pain . 

It worst when you been driving something with one .

Then forgot to put the hand brake on something that doesn't have it

its the future and not a  new thing all but the most basic will be having them

have to find a way to  be excited about them get your punters on board, i personally love them and easy to deal with, its the cross over punters that are the confused ones

6 years, that will be a lot or rear pads, these things seem to eat them if you use the auto deactivate.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

its the future and not a  new thing all but the most basic will be having them

have to find a way to  be excited about them get your punters on board, i personally love them and easy to deal with, its the cross over punters that are the confused ones

what men in skirts:huh:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

6 years later and more hated than ever :lol:

:lol::lol: Who are these c***s?

• Like 1

Worse ones in my view are the Volvo V70 handbrakes when its a manual box , Now that's just not been thought of at all for a manual box and was obviously designed to accompany the Auto .

Wrong place all together :angry: