JKG

BCA - UKCGR - WBAC

Have any of you guys purchased from the bca owned ukcgr wbac section?

I've just bought 5, all with pretty much terminal issues which would have been picked up when wbac valued them, and the loss is going to cripple my business

Unfortunately all sold as seen so no come back, but they must have known, it just seems morally wrong, imagine if we did something like that, we'd be in court, fined & shut down, possibly locked up with the way things are now!

I do buy a few, but only if they are on the 'assured' report. That same buying principle applies to anything going through BCA or Manheim. Just not worth taking the risk, as you have sadly found out. Once bitten and all that....

Which section of the UKCGR did you buy them through? They basically go like this:

NO RESERVE- Absolute sh*te, generally £100er's

TRADE- Complete gamble of above and the occasional OK motor, buyer beware basically

SELECT- Will have some history and low owners, may still be hiding problems

PREMIUM- As above but will be either prestige or not very old. 

I've had a few cheap winners out of some of these sales but I certainly wouldn't rely on them for decent regular stock as people have generally thrown them at WBAC for a reason. Have you seen some of their valuations?!

I tend to avoid UKCG cars for the same reason, had to spend too much on prep for the ones that I did buy and ate substantially into my margin. People that sell to them and WWAC tend to be distressed sellers eager to part with a nightmare. As Daylight says the only ones worth looking at are Premium but there aren't many of them and they tend to command a high hammer price

Try to avoid. Have you seen the quotes they produce?  Those are then knocked down further after inspection, so you can be sure anyone selling to WBAC has a reason; the car is knackered or they are absolutely desperate for cash... usually the former because you can offload anything half decent very quickly on eBay/Gumtree if the price low enough..... and it would still be more than WBAC pay.

When buying these companies often don't even test drive as part of their inspection, they literally just go around looking for minor scratches to try and screw the price down further.    

I'm guessing 70% - 80% of their cars have expensive issues. 

On 3/31/2016 at 0:15 PM, bestprice4cash said:

Try to avoid. Have you seen the quotes they produce?  Those are then knocked down further after inspection, so you can be sure anyone selling to WBAC has a reason; the car is knackered or they are absolutely desperate for cash... usually the former because you can offload anything half decent very quickly on eBay/Gumtree if the price low enough..... and it would still be more than WBAC pay.

When buying these companies often don't even test drive as part of their inspection, they literally just go around looking for minor scratches to try and screw the price down further.    

I'm guessing 70% - 80% of their cars have expensive issues. 

This is not always the case, after doing this job for a long time it never ceases to amaze me how dumb some people are when it comes to dealing with money. I often wonder how these people survive from day to day.

There are people that just would have no clue on how to sell a car and will either just give it away as a part exchange ( come on we have all had those customers ) or will just do an online valuation from a used car buyer and accept the first offer they are given. When they are knocked down even further at collection they just accept it because its in their nature.

So although there will be lemons going to these buyers there will also be some very good stock. Just a gamble as always at auction.

Edited by Max Branning
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Max Branning said:

This is not always the case, after doing this job for a long time it never ceases to amaze me how dumb some people are when it comes to dealing with money. I often wonder how these people survive from day to day.

There are people that just would have no clue on how to sell a car and will either just give it away as a part exchange ( come on we have all had those customers ) or will just do an online valuation from a used car buyer and accept the first offer they are given. When they are knocked down even further at collection they just accept it because its in their nature.

So although there will be lemons going to these buyers there will also be some very good stock. Just a gamble as always at auction.

Agree with this.

Two years ago I sold a Renault Espace for 7k. A year later the same car was going through BCA under the UGCGS banner, having only done average mileage since it left me and having had no more change of keepers. The odd little mark here and there,  apart from that it was the same car. I was delighted to buy it back for £3500 even though it was 'on sale' at 3k. God knows what my (ex) customer was thinking of although rumour has it he went on to manage Newcastle United.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2016 at 11:36 AM, sparky said:

Agree with this.

Two years ago I sold a Renault Espace for 7k. A year later the same car was going through BCA under the UGCGS banner, having only done average mileage since it left me and having had no more change of keepers. The odd little mark here and there,  apart from that it was the same car. I was delighted to buy it back for £3500 even though it was 'on sale' at 3k. God knows what my (ex) customer was thinking of although rumour has it he went on to manage Newcastle United.

On 4/2/2016 at 11:36 AM, sparky said:

Agree with this.

apart from hidden Tricks, I thought they are a big company and would not deceive customers but I discovered they were raising the price up against you without a competitor in front of you. The auctioneer told me it's very legal action whether ethical or not.
The law protects big rich people and companies but never protect small businesses.
The law allows private buyer to buy from the auction without warranty at all. On the other hand it doesn't allow to do so in other place.
Before blaming the auction, traders must be united to stop the unfair terms and conditions of the auction and impose a full protection for private buyers as it is imposed on all who sell to them everywhere.
many other paragraphs must be amended to stop auction fraud.

Pass that man the forum UKCGR Barge Pole

Agree with most here.

Avoid or buy at your peril. 

We have a WBAC site a few doors down from us so get a lot of their punters in for a second opinion.

The good genuine stuff we pay well above them to buy ourselves. The dodgy stuff or more importantly, dodgy punters, we send down their way to handle.

Loads of cars seem to end up there with multiple issues and a lot of punters tell us they would rather offload an issue laden lump onto an anonymous national corp than a local dealer because it's embarrassing if we bump into them in the supermarket/school run.

• Like 1

Sounds like some people are unfamiliar with the concepts of auctions and risk/ reward commerce... if auctions were fool proof the incentive to buy from dealers would be diminished and margins reduced.

I've had some crackers out of UKCGR, I'm just more cautious than any other section.

Play with Fire you will get your hands burnt, 

Its an auction if you can't afford to take the risk of buying from an auction which is exempt from the sales of goods act and also the CRA then don't go there. 

Very simple

Annoys me when you get moaning so called traders enraged because they have been misguided into thinking auctions are a place to buy cheap cars with no issues, OH look there is a buyer in the doorway with £1000 cash profit  looking to buy my latest purchase.  

10 hours ago, betginge said:

Play with Fire you will get your hands burnt, 

Its an auction if you can't afford to take the risk of buying from an auction which is exempt from the sales of goods act and also the CRA then don't go there. 

Very simple

Annoys me when you get moaning so called traders enraged because they have been misguided into thinking auctions are a place to buy cheap cars with no issues, OH look there is a buyer in the doorway with £1000 cash profit  looking to buy my latest purchase.  

Very much this.

Anyway, had another lovely tickle last week on a UKCG car. It had been on my watch list for a week or so. Booked Cap Clean at £3300 but had a couple of orange failings on the AA report. Did a couple of sales with no bids, went on buy it now for £2800 and still nothing then when on buy it now for £2300. I took a chance on it, snapped it up and having used it all weekend there is absolutely nothing wrong with it now it's had a good blast with it being a low mileage diesel. Minimal prep and will be on sale this evening at £4495. Happy days.

Auctions were exempt from CRA but vendors could be liable,but now when they are actively buying in their own stock,I am not so sure.A private punter buying a misdescribed UKCGR at auction which is then found to be unroadworthy will have rights.Basically,auctions should not be allowed to buy in stock,it is a conflict of interest with the other vendors.As for wingeing traders,if they don't have the knowledge and skill to buy at auction,they should not bother!