Sign in to follow this  
umesh

Dealer posing as private !

Just seen this article! 
We know it goes it everywhere in the country - but this just shows the extent to the number of cars being sold - It affects us all - hence legit dealers are losing business / profits !

A car dealer has been handed a 12 week suspended prison sentence after selling a potentially dangerous car while posing as a private seller.

Ian Blinkhorne of Elm Road, Stratford, pleaded guilty to the charges against him at Nuneaton Magistrates following an investigation by Warwickshire County Council’s Trading Standards team.

The 51-year-old sold the Ford Ka to a Leamington woman after he had advertised the vehicle for sale on Facebook, The Leamington Spa Courier reported.

It later failed an MOT test and a Trading Standards’ vehicle examiner identified a number of faults which made the car unsafe to drive.

Among the issues were faulty power steering, seized brakes, excessive corrosion to the driver’s seat mounting and failed suspension.

Among the issues were faulty power steering, seized brakes, excessive corrosion to the driver’s seat mounting and failed suspension.

Doesn't sound too bad for a KA?:P

Surely the MOT place got a slap on the wrists ? 

But seems like this guy was done more for selling an unsafe car then posing as private, but Umesh as you correctly say these guys don't prep and are happy to put the public in danger, however the reputation these sellers give out effects the whole second hand car market

Always seem to involve a Ford KA somewhere along the line!!!

I that end of the market just doesn't seem worth it for anyone trying to make legitimate money. When I'm aboard I look at the price of old bangers and they seem so much more expensive. Maybe if the mindset of the UK buyer changed and they were educated that anything under £1500 should be considered a deathtrap it would give scope for honest traders to turn old cars into decent safe cars and give a bit more choice in the market. I'm sure we have all had customers asking about a car for a family member but expecting to pay £600 for something fault free. The public do seem to believe good cars can be purchased for £500 and then complain when they buy rubbish. 

Agree Gavin, a local chap sold a £500 pug 206 in the last week or so - customer took it to Halfords to get it checked over after purchase. Were told front 2 tyres were low. Customer rings local chap rather worked up 'What are you gonna do about it? I have young children in this car!'  Tires were low and worn but not illegal.

On a £500 car I would say that is probably rather lucky, we all see what £500 gets you in an auction and it is not a lot. 

buy a sh**ter on facepalm for less than a decent tv and in my opinion you deserve to get everything you do ,a  steering downshaft was £175 for those ka's last time i had one fail on play, thats before i even kicked the tyres to increase their tread patterns:lol:

Agree Gavin, a local chap sold a £500 pug 206 in the last week or so - customer took it to Halfords to get it checked over after purchase. Were told front 2 tyres were low. Customer rings local chap rather worked up 'What are you gonna do about it? I have young children in this car!'  Tires were low and worn but not illegal.

On a £500 car I would say that is probably rather lucky, we all see what £500 gets you in an auction and it is not a lot. 

I don't think there's many cars currently advertised for under £1000 that would pass a Halfords 'special' inspection!

Because if they got checked before purchase the report would either put them off buying it or cost you a fortune in refurb costs to convince them to buy