Sign in to follow this  
Edward Roots

Corsa 1.3 CDTI [95]

Good Afternoon

What are peoples views on Corsa D 1.3 CDTI's [95], the reason I ask is i'm looking for a run around and have been offered one at a reasonable price. The vehicle has only done 22k on a 61 plate - is this an issue being such low annual mileage for the age? my plan would be to do around 25k a year in it and run it to around 95,000 miles after 3 years. 

As i'm thinking long term I just want peoples views on the durability on these? the vendor is BT which I believe to be a good source? 

Any views would be appreciated 

Any Fiat or Vauxhall with that engine is on my ' don't touch it with a bargepole' list. That said, with only 22k you'd have thought you've got half a chance of it being OK.

Okay thanks for the reply, probably justifies why it is cheap. Whats the major problems with them? the mileage doesn't bother me at the moment but if i'm going to be doing some high mileage I would want to know that it would be reliable. 

I brought one in last week, 2008 58k F/S/H

It's still not running right, spanner light on, fault codes on injectors but all tested and okay- changes between a misfire and limp mode.

We think it's going to need an ECU sorting I think. 

looks like I may steer clear, appreciate the feedback, I had read about ECU's causing problems and we have had a few Doblo's with I presume the same engines that have had issues. 

my other suggestion for a car is the 1.4 Fiesta (2009-onwards model), any shock horror stories about these? 

I brought one in last week, 2008 58k F/S/H

It's still not running right, spanner light on, fault codes on injectors but all tested and okay- changes between a misfire and limp mode.

We think it's going to need an ECU sorting I think. 

try cleaning the egr valve and check your glow plugs, I buy loads of vans with this engine in very cheaply because people are afraid of them, most of the problems are due to carbonization giving off false readings. Let me know how you get on or just ask for any further advice

• Like 2

Give the Corsa a swerve mate..Shite engines, I had one a while back spent a fortune on the F*"~ing thing, cut my losses in the end , chucked it in the auction.

Edited by Jack Regan

make sure you only use 5 30 fully synthetic low ash oil saves a lot of trouble

The one in particular has been serviced 3 times in the 20 odd thou that it has covered , all of this servicing was done in house by BT which not sure if a good or bad thing? I've heard that the paper oil filters can cause problems on these. Although this would be an easy purchase as no travelling would be involved in collecting the car, I think I may expand my search and look for a 1.4 TDCI Fiesta instead. 

I don't touch the 1.4 TDCI (HDI) made of chocolate! The 1.3 CDti isn't the worst engine in the world. 

I would forget the ford diesels, we don't touch them anymore, even with 30 or 40k on them, full ford history, we have still had estimates for repair of over a grand with injectors or dual mass f/wheel ......

i think Citroen/Peugeot diesels are the best of a bad bunch!

Mondeo is a little bit too big and pricey for what I'm needing. I just need a cheap to run car that can rack up a few miles. Planning on buying something around the £5k mark running it for 3 years at around 25k a year and hopefully not loosing much more than £100 a month on depreciation. Although I am in the trade, I work at a small auction which doesn't tend to get cars that fit my criteria in, so I would be looking to buy privately or from a trader. 

The best small engine diesel out there IMO is the Renault 1.5 DCi unit. If I was in your position Edward that's what I would be buying, all day long.

I would forget the ford diesels, we don't touch them anymore, even with 30 or 40k on them, full ford history, we have still had estimates for repair of over a grand with injectors or dual mass f/wheel ......

i think Citroen/Peugeot diesels are the best of a bad bunch!

Sell loads of Ford diesels and don't tend to have any massive problems. 2.0tdci in the Mondeo is a cracking engine and great selling car.

Sparky that's not a bad idea! I've just looked at reviews and they seem quite good. Are all the engines FAP? I don't really want a FAP one just in-case it has had the wrong oil in the past. I used to be a technician for Renault and remember the engines being quite good, they fit well within my budget as well. 

Any views on the 1.4 Diesel Skoda Fabia (09 ish model year) or 1.2 (2010 ish year) Diesel Seat Ibiza? These are others that I am considering.  

Sell loads of Ford diesels and don't tend to have any massive problems. 2.0tdci in the Mondeo is a cracking engine and great selling car.

Agreed. That's because apart from the 1.8 they are all essentially Peugeot diesel engines.

Sparky that's not a bad idea! I've just looked at reviews and they seem quite good. Are all the engines FAP? I don't really want a FAP one just in-case it has had the wrong oil in the past. I used to be a technician for Renault and remember the engines being quite good, they fit well within my budget as well. 

Any views on the 1.4 Diesel Skoda Fabia (09 ish model year) or 1.2 (2010 ish year) Diesel Seat Ibiza? These are others that I am considering.  

You won't go wrong with a well maintained 1.5 Dci. 

I've been told to stay away from the 1.4 VW engine, apart from that, they sound worse than my missus on the karaoke machine after too much wine.

We have done a couple of the 1.5dci clios - non turbo iirc and I know my business partners sister has one - other than routine maintenance never needed a thing and barely uses any juice.

If the scuttle panel drain is allowed to get blocked by leaves and crap then the ECU will end up a furry aluminium mess. Use the correct oil and very little problems occur. The Post Office in the early days used their own treacle oil, which caused lots of problems.

make sure you only use 5 30 fully synthetic low ash oil saves a lot of trouble

hi,i only use 0 /40 so its ptotected at both ends

Are you snobby about it being something newish? Until recently I've run a Mk4 Golf 1.9Tdi (non PD), racked up tons of miles without issue. Regularly returns 65mpg with 85.1 over a 70 mile journey when i wasn't in a hurry on the way to Dorset. Paid £500 for it.