MarkTVS

Prep costs?

Thought it would be interesting to find out what everyone pays for their prep costs, I’ll list my basic ones as follows;

Mechanical repairs £35+vat per hour 

Mot’s: £25

Wheel refurb full car (powdercoated) giving them the car £200 inc vat

Diamond cut refurb giving them the car £360 inc vat

Valeting: in house 

Paintwork: £100 a panel on average 

• Like 1

Im paying about the same as you Mark depends on who I use

Mechanical repairs range from £15-£35 an hour I've a guy only does service items etc he's the £15 one 

Mots -£25- £35 both regular places i use some of the places around here wont do trade discount so if i was stuck or normal ones were busy its between £40-£54.86 

valeting i do a lot and use a few local guys anything from £10-£85 depends on type of valet 

about £100-£120 for painting panels use a couple of places dependent on the work load

wheels £200-£240 

diamond cut wheels from memory think the last set was £385 an associate organised that so cant be more precise  .sorry. 

Standard costs if cars is relative ok only needs prep with no other mechanical issues estimate 

mot = £25

service inc parts and labour = £175

Mini valet with polish = £17

Wheel refurb = £220 

so about £437 in total 

I use a company to powder-coat the wheels but have noticed a lot of people are painting them now 2 or 3 people have said this to me 

Edited by Casper

I may be wrong but the way I would do it if I was outsourcing repairs and paintwork.Take your latest set of annual accounts and divide the cost of sales with no of cars retailed and you may be in for a shock.So if it is a grand per car ( it’s probably more ) you have to generate 1200 profit when you allow for VAT to calculate the cost of the average sale.I think Mark does repairs in-house so hopefully his costs will be less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I may be wrong but the way I would do it if I was outsourcing repairs and paintwork.Take your latest set of annual accounts and divide the cost of sales with no of cars retailed and you may be in for a shock.So if it is a grand per car ( it’s probably more ) you have to generate 1200 profit when you allow for VAT to calculate the cost of the average sale.I think Mark does repairs in-house so hopefully his costs will be less.

Thanks trade vet we do what we can in house as well i try to do a lot of the work my self valeting basic repairs etc  or with a self employed mobile mechanic that comes in  for my own stuff to keeps cost low also got good accounts etc with local suppliers 

just put an example .if everything was outsourced which has been and is done sometimes

the cars i buy for the other business I'm involved with do all in house they actually paint wheels panels etc and have there own mechanics painters etc them-self they don't diamond cut wheels it just it a 3 1/2 hour round trip for me to go there so not really cost effective 

Edited by Casper

I’m not giving away my trade prices for consumption by the general public. I’d rather put them in the VIP area for transfer onto CAG. :lol:

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

Mark does repairs in-house so hopefully his costs will be less.

Although I do the repairs in house it is a separate business entity so company a bills company b etc. Accountants advised me it was the best way to go with things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkTVS said:

Although I do the repairs in house it is a separate business entity so company a bills company b etc. Accountants advised me it was the best way to go with things.

Makes sense one company invoices the other .. 

Edited by Casper

8 hours ago, MarkTVS said:

Thought it would be interesting to find out what everyone pays for their prep costs, I’ll list my basic ones as follows;

Mechanical repairs £35+vat per hour 

Mot’s: £25

Wheel refurb full car (powdercoated) giving them the car £200 inc vat

Diamond cut refurb giving them the car £360 inc vat

Valeting: in house 

Paintwork: £100 a panel on average 

Oh boy, I'm paying way too much apart from the wheels

Edited by 15Cars

You won't find an indie around where we are doing MOTs for less than £40 and labour is £50/60 upwards + VAT. I don't really mind the hourly if it's to someone capable.

It's all a bit meaningless IMO because living costs/operating costs vary so much around the UK, screen prices vary to a lesser degree but a £2995 Corsa in Birmingham can still be £3495 in the South East.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

You won't find an indie around where we are doing MOTs for less than £40 and labour is £50/60 upwards + VAT. I don't really mind the hourly if it's to someone capable.

It's all a bit meaningless IMO because living costs/operating costs vary so much around the UK, screen prices vary to a lesser degree but a £2995 Corsa in Birmingham can still be £3495 in the South East.

Agree about the MOT's. I know it's grim up norf but blimey, how many MOT's do you guys have to do a week to get them at £25?:lol:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, metcars said:

Agree about the MOT's. I know it's grim up norf but blimey, how many MOT's do you guys have to do a week to get them at £25?:lol:

:P

It's a different world in certain areas past London. I wouldn't ever choose to leave where i'm from but did look properly at a nice gravelled 40 car forecourt near where my missus is from, Peterborough area. Could've bought the freehold outright for the same as two years rent and rates on one of our current places. Absolutely crazy.

9 minutes ago, metcars said:

One of the local places in scotland here only charge £35 to the general public  

1 minute ago, grant8064 said:

:P

It's a different world in certain areas past London. I wouldn't ever choose to leave where i'm from but did look properly at a nice gravelled 40 car forecourt near where my missus is from, Peterborough area. Could've bought the freehold outright for the same as two years rent and rates on one of our current places. Absolutely crazy.

:lol:

Just now, Casper said:

One of the local places in scotland here only charge £35 to the general public  

I can quite believe it! How many MOT's do they do in a week at £35?

3 minutes ago, metcars said:

Im not sure I've never actually asked but the book seem to be always fairly full anytime I'm in they do a lot of tyres and exhausts too and basic services and repairs it is or was originally a family owned small fastfit place with only a couple of branches now its run by a manager   

6 minutes ago, metcars said:

Maybe the same as somewhere charging £50 but smashing it on the discs and pads?

...or am I just being a cynic? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, grant8064 said:

Maybe the same as somewhere charging £50 but smashing it on the discs and pads?

...or am I just being a cynic? 

Ive only had a couple of  fails there one it was for a broken headlight that couldnt be adjusted and tyre wrong size on same axle should have wore my glasses that day lol 

and one on a brake hose

although i know of one place who does a cheap mot fails it then charges a retest .   

6 minutes ago, tradex said:

, the only good one wanted £300 to paint my Trans Am hood, sorry bonnet:blink:

Please tell me it’s black with a gold eagle on the bonnet? 

1 minute ago, MarkTVS said:

Please tell me it’s black with a gold eagle on the bonnet? 

Its got to be lol 

10 minutes ago, tradex said:

£45  ticket, very thorough just how I like it but, no fishing for work as I use another guy for work at £33 plus VAT labour when needed...clutches etc, very slow though, so not that cheap and he's so tight he would charge for split pin;)

...still can't find a painter who will do decent job even at £150 a panel, the only good one wanted £300 to paint my Trans Am hood, sorry bonnet:blink:

I agree about the mot got to be thorough if it needs fixing id rather fix it 

1 minute ago, tradex said:

It's got bird shit on it, but no 'screaming chicken'.

You are taking Bandit colours I guess and, that is a 2nd generation, mine is a 4th generation last of, I've had then all.

.....you came here for prep' costs and now get a free General Motors F Body history lesson:P

Every days a school day lol 

3 minutes ago, tradex said:

You are taking Bandit colours I guess and, that is a 2nd generation, mine is a 4th generation last of, I've had then all.

.....you came here for prep' costs and now get a free General Motors F Body history lesson:P

I grew up watching that film and I have always wanted an exact replica of that car though I know the dream is better than a reality as it will probably be pretty slow and horrible handling compared to what we’re used to these days.

4 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

I grew up watching that film and I have always wanted an exact replica of that car though I know the dream is better than a reality as it will probably be pretty slow and horrible handling compared to what we’re used to these days.

You can have the car mark if i can have the runaway bride lol 

20 minutes ago, tradex said:

Brilliant :lol:

7 minutes ago, tradex said:

I had a '79 403ci (6.6 litre) Trans Am T Top in Turquoise and gold decals with all the options and some. Burts was (were!) a '76 with later '77 front ends screwed on as Pontiac hadn't introduced the model year '77 at that point. An exec' at Pontiac told Burt he could have a free T/A if the film did well, obviously as we know now it did and T/A sales went thru the roof. Sadly Burt never got his T/A, the execitive had retired by then. Interesting history behind the film if you get 5 mins.

...I read that one of the original promotional cars - not in the film, that just sat outside cinemas or in shopping malls - sold for over $500,000 a few years back.

They weren't dog slow even if the BHP was low at 220 bhp, they were all torque. 130mph plus top end and 6.5 plus secs 0-60 for the manuals, add another second for the slush box, not too bad even today for a bloody great lump of iron. Mine had the WS6 Handling Pack which meant it was so f**king stiff, if it rode over a coin at 60 mph you'd loose a filling :D. It's a shame Scots123435456788Dave isn't on here too often now as he was into yank tanks back in the day too.

I sold mine for 4K in early 2000's with but a 'for sale' sign in the window, the same afternoon from outside my house to, an undertaker of all people who looked more pale than most corpses I've seen. Last time I saw it for sale it was up for £25k few years back:(

Should have kept it as my old dad says he had a mk2 jag before my time he still says today he wishes he still had it when you look at the values 

8 hours ago, MarkTVS said:

Surely this is only good for the accountant? Ie two sets of accounts = two bills from him? 

• Like 1