TangoVictor32

The dangers of dealing

I sold one of these a year and a bit ago, was a 1.0 4 speed auto and it has to possibly be the worst slowest car o have ever driven, if the police were on foot I wouldn’t of risked a chase. 

I had to deliver the car to Aberdeen and made a joke with a lady friend that if I got more than 100mph she would have to reveal her boobs, let’s just say despite slip streaming down hills I didn’t even get to see cleavage :unsure:

• Haha 4

Talking about slow cars, I have a 10 year old Honda Insight and it is by far the slowest car I’ve driven in years......

34 minutes ago, tradex said:

Who'd steal a Picanto and an old one at that....the sort that have very low standards that they fail to live up to. 

Tango Victor could probably explain about criminal mentality.A few years back a dealer I know had a Astra Diesel estate stolen when being valeted.It went from there to Halfords where they bought black aerosol for the windows.It was then  used in a robbery on a mini supermarket or similar as a getaway car.They got caught and from stealing it to committing the robbery was all on CCTV and I think they had previous for the same offence.

2 hours ago, tradex said:

Unaccompanied test drive?

.... what were they thinking ffs:blink:

Most of our test drives are unaccompanied unless it's a sportier/ more expensive car.  but we always take a copy of the drivers licence first regardless and if they don't have one on them we do the driving, customers generally seem to be more positive knowing they're not being watched by the sales staff and feel less pressured.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jason GTI said:

Most of our test drives are unaccompanied unless it's a sportier/ more expensive car.  but we always take a copy of the drivers licence first regardless and if they don't have one on them we do the driving, customers generally seem to be more positive knowing they're not being watched by the sales staff and feel less pressured.

We're exactly the same

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason GTI said:

I do the same. And I've never done this and they don't buy the car or had any issues etc. They normally leave a better car or a member of the family behind anyway haha

3 hours ago, trade vet said:

Tango Victor could probably explain about criminal mentality.A few years back a dealer I know had a Astra Diesel estate stolen when being valeted.It went from there to Halfords where they bought black aerosol for the windows.It was then  used in a robbery on a mini supermarket or similar as a getaway car.They got caught and from stealing it to committing the robbery was all on CCTV and I think they had previous for the same offence.

In short they are thick and narrow minded. Hence they get caught.

It's like with cars - buyers are chancers. Not all but some...a majority. 

In the criminal world most are daft.

2 hours ago, Jason GTI said:

The car they leave behind could be stolen !

1 hour ago, TangoVictor32 said:

In the criminal world most are daft.

Got any good criminal stories from back in your police days? What area of the police were you in?  

1 minute ago, Rory RSC said:

Got any good criminal stories from back in your police days? What area of the police were you in?  

I give you 2....

1) one man was being checked into custody for drugs... Had lots of notes on him so we was counting it at the custody desk. Another prisoner was being moved from the nurses room to a cell and he leaped at the desk trying to take the cash and was pounded upon by few heavyweights.... Yes in a secure police station custody block - how on earth did he think he would get away with the cash? Like I said they are thick and in this weird mindset.

2) Post office was being robbed by 2 men armed with a gun in a bag. The owner had his own gun and pulled it out. The 2 tried running out but was locked in. 

We turned up and found they only had a banana in a carrier bag....  We asked them why you ran - one said "my banana wouldn't even fire blanks" :lol: and matey pulled out the real thing.

All 3 got done - including the owner for possessing a fire arms. 

Hate the domestic jobs. Gosh they are annoying as F. She said this. He said that. She shagged him. He did that. <_<

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2019 at 11:43 AM, Mojo121 said:

We're exactly the same

On 10/10/2019 at 10:31 AM, Jason GTI said:

Madness, it is a sales opportunity, might be just me, but most of my sales are completed on the test drive accompanied,

do you like it ?

yes

is it for you?

yes

that noise on braking is just slight rust on discs, do you understand?

yes

this switch does this

yes

this car comes with our warranty, basically covers everything except bulbs and fair wear, is that okay ?

yes

is it cash did you say?

yes

are you having it ?

YES

10 hours ago, tradex said:

Yup, good opportunity for a good salesman B)

10 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

Madness, it is a sales opportunity, might be just me, but most of my sales are completed on the test drive accompanied,

do you like it ?

yes

is it for you?

yes

that noise on braking is just slight rust on discs, do you understand?

yes

this switch does this

yes

this car comes with our warranty, basically covers everything except bulbs and fair wear, is that okay ?

yes

is it cash did you say?

yes

are you having it ?

YES

This.

All of my cars are sold prior to collection, I don’t appoint maybes. My customers have  seen the video of me test driving it and have already made the decision to purchase on that basis. 

I would never let someone test drive unaccompanied. If they ask to go on a test drive, I drive, demonstrate and confirm it’s exactly how I described it. But its rare. 

In sales talk I use the “Assumptive close” the car is theirs from the moment the deposit is remotely received. If they ask to drive, no problem, I take them out and let them bring it back, but it’s very rare. 

It’s funny how we all do things differently.

I don’t allow a purchase without a test drive. I tell them I want them to drive the car to confirm it’s suitable for them - they won’t be bringing it back on a whim here! Some people want 10 miles, some want 100yds - I’m happy either way.

The vast majority I accompany but if it’s a couple (as in man & wife), there’s no b/s and they know the area I’ll give them the keys because they can do their ‘family car buying chit-chat’ in the car & by the time they return 10 minutes later they know whether or not they’re buying - they usually do - I think a seller who is confident enough in the car to tell them it’s fine & to go out on their own automatically instills confidence.

I don’t let younger punters out on their own.

Neither do I allow father/offspring punters out unaccompanied or £999 p/x punters because they end up being out 40 minutes doing about 30 miles & performing inspections in lay-bys. Also ‘expert’ fathers who know it all about cars & cheapie punters often need their expectations firmly managed & because they are naturally suspicious people the slightest thing can be blown out of all proportion.

I always accompany them on a test drive, they normally seem to have questions about what various features do and it gives me a chance to chat with them a little.

Also, I don’t fancy letting half of the general public out in my cars to drive as they wish, no thanks!

9 minutes ago, tradex said:

Yes, I also insist my customer drives a car too, so no "ohh, the clutch is too light, heavy, black, low, high, quiet, good, fantastic, mechanical, goes down when pressed...... " etc they also then sign my PDI form to say they have driven it and are happy with it, I believe it's also on Lawgistics form, I'll check that later.

Yes, with Lawgistics they confirm they have tested and they there are no apparent faults.

2 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

no apparent faults.

The problem here = "apparent"

Basically not worth diddly squat in court - How is a novice expected to identify if there are any non-apparent faults?

Just now, tradex said:

I keep saying that I'm gonna get my own PDI sheets made as, the Lawgistics ones could really do with improving......

But I say that about many things according to her indoors ;)

I have done my own from day 1, created in Excel and when printed off, look quite smart. No grubby finger prints as the form is completed on the computer and printed off post PDI.

IMO, there is too much on Lawgistics form (although I have manual PDI and Invoice pads in case of a computer meltdown).

For example - I have a check box which says all tyres are in an acceptable condition (or words to that effect), rather than listing mm across three points on each tyre.

Anything that falls short is noted in the comments section but anything safety related is always done and a new MOT is always supplied. Between the MOT and my "light" PDI (vs. Lawgistics) is enough to satisfy most I believe.

2 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Basically not worth diddly squat in court - How is a novice expected to identify if there are any non-apparent faults?

The consumer is always deemed to be a laymen. The importance is they are confirming nothing is apparently faulty after fully testing it. It is pertinent because it stops the "it was like it when I bought it" brigade.......

1 minute ago, Arfur Dealy said:

The consumer is always deemed to be a laymen. 

Rightly so, we are the experts.

1 minute ago, Arfur Dealy said:

It is pertinent because it stops the "it was like it when I bought it" brigade.......

Well IMO, if "it was like it when I bought it" then what is their problem?

They accepted the car like that. If it bothered them, why buy it? Possibly one of the best statements a customer can say is "It was like it when I bought it" as surely their argument falls apart as soon as they more or less say "yes, I knew about it."

6 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

They accepted the car like that. If it bothered them, why buy it? Possibly one of the best statements a customer can say is "It was like it when I bought it" as surely their argument falls apart as soon as they more or less say "yes, I knew about it."

So when 'Mrs Patel' is in the dock holding her 4 month old baby the judge will expect her to have understood what a rattle from a dmf is and it's consequences? 

Good luck with that?

Edited by metcars

17 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Too true Mark. Any seller thinking getting a layman’s signature on a mechanical report is a ‘get out of jail free’ card is kidding themselves.

We’ve all heard some of the professional advice doled out by some of these self appointed legal expertise services. Some of it sounds like absolute bollocks.

10 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Bang on :)

13 minutes ago, tradex said:

Appolgies if I misread your posts meaning, I feel sure you do PDIs, but it was more a legal point I'm addressing hereB)

Crikey, yes of course: This is the pack a new customer gets:

Invoice, dually signed

PDI, dually signed with T&C's

3 Months/3,000 warranty cover and signed agreeing to T&C's

Plus, I truly stand by my stock and cover every single thing apart from tyres or blatant abuse.

New (advisory free) MOT

2 Working keys on all bought for retail cars - (PX albeit prepared the same safety wise + PDI and MOT do not have "nice to have" things addressed).

Re: Tyres, they are either safe and legal or they're not - I don't believe I need to take 12 off +4mm measurements. I imagine your story tradex is someone had swapped tyres and came back to complain - you pulled out PDI which stated 4 x 6mm Michelin's but they came back with 2mm Accura? :lol:

15 minutes ago, metcars said:

So when 'Mrs Patel' is in the dock holding her 4 month old baby the judge will expect her to have understood what a rattle from a dmf is and it's consequences? 

Good luck with that?

No of course not but when they moan about some rust on a wheel arch, a rip in a seat, a stereo that doesn't work or perhaps most common - a/c doesn't work - the fact they may state, it was like that when I bought it works in our favour.

Edited by Mark101

19 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Crikey, yes of course: This is the pack a new customer gets:

Invoice, dually signed

PDI, dually signed with T&C's

3 Months/3,000 warranty cover and signed agreeing to T&C's

Plus, I truly stand by my stock and cover every single thing apart from tyres or blatant abuse.

New (advisory free) MOT

2 Working keys on all bought for retail cars - (PX albeit prepared the same safety wise + PDI and MOT do not have "nice to have" things addressed).

Re: Tyres, they are either safe and legal or they're not - I don't believe I need to take 12 off +4mm measurements. I imagine your story tradex is someone had swapped tyres and came back to complain - you pulled out PDI which stated 4 x 6mm Michelin's but they came back with 2mm Accura? :lol:

No of course not but when they moan about some rust on a wheel arch, a rip in a seat, a stereo that doesn't work or perhaps most common - a/c doesn't work - the fact they may state, it was like that when I bought it works in our favour.

I think this is off on a tangent. Customers clearly aren’t going to reject a car and say “it was like it when I bought it”

• Like 1