chrishowie

Apart from a discount... what incentives do you feel work

In the 80's my father in law tells a great story about buying 20 large TV's (in colour!?) and offering them free with any car purchased that month!!

He said he ended up with 19 of the TV's as everyone said, just knock the extra £££ off the price of the car....

Anyone else been left with Autogylm kits or security locks they just couldn't give away as an incentive or have you found free 12 month RAC cover works?!

Just a bit of fun : )

18 minutes ago, chrishowie said:

In the 80's my father in law tells a great story about buying 20 large TV's (in colour!?) and offering them free with any car purchased that month!!

He said he ended up with 19 of the TV's as everyone said, just knock the extra £££ off the price of the car....

Anyone else been left with Autogylm kits or security locks they just couldn't give away as an incentive or have you found free 12 month RAC cover works?!

Heard a few people do it offering free TVs etc a local dealer did a buy one car get one free once back in the 90s thing is you could have bought the two of them for the price of one 

have tried the free servicing mot things etc in different jobs over the years as you said. People tend want money off more 

although I'm always open to suggestions .. and will give anything ago 

16 minutes ago, Casper said:

although I'm always open to suggestions .. and will give anything ago 

You will give anything a go Casper? You've left yourself wide open to some suggestions there buddy!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SC Derby said:

Cheeky reach around sometimes gets the customers juices flowing 

Hahaha, FFS, quote of the month! :lol:

• Haha 1

Free dead prostitute in every boot 

10 minutes ago, EPV said:

Where can I order a job lot? 

7 minutes ago, CRW said:

Where can I order a job lot? 

I’ll see what I’ve got in the back..

2 hours ago, CRW said:

You will give anything a go Casper? You've left yourself wide open to some suggestions there buddy!!

Haha I'll rephrase that I'll give anything a go within reason . But on a serious note you do find customers want money off rather than free Mots servicing etc we even tried free shortbread once lol 

1 hour ago, EPV said:

All your incentives seem to be prostitute based at the moment. To begin with they were offered alive, now they are dead :ph34r::D 

48 minutes ago, Casper said:

Haha I'll rephrase that I'll give anything a go within reason . But on a serious note you do find customers want money off rather than free Mots servicing etc we even tried free shortbread once lol 

I cant say i blame customers to be honest what would you prefer £5 shortbread or £50 off.

My incentive will always be £95 or £45 off which is closest to the next even £100. Customers will soon forget gimmicky shortbread and probably never use the free service or mot but they will remember that few quid back

3 hours ago, chrishowie said:

I've offered to up our RAC warranty to 12 months instead of 3 months mainly on our sticky cars and most people aren't bothered and only want money off.

Offering a free valet on a later date has helped but only money talks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JDM1983 said:

All your incentives seem to be prostitute based at the moment. To begin with they were offered alive, now they are dead :ph34r::D 

I have a backlog 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

I cant say i blame customers to be honest what would you prefer £5 shortbread or £50 off.

My incentive will always be £95 or £45 off which is closest to the next even £100. Customers will soon forget gimmicky shortbread and probably never use the free service or mot but they will remember that few quid back

I agree and since going at it alone would rather give the £50 off sometimes I'll even give them £20 back for fuel the shortbread thing was in a previous job where I just did my buying thing and let the big boss man deal with incentives .. 

Edited by Casper

4 minutes ago, Casper said:

I agree and since going at it alone would rather give the £50 off sometimes I'll even give them £20 back for fuel the shortbread thing was in a previous job where I just did my sales thing and let the big boss man deal with incentives .. 

Funny isnt it these corporate ideas of incentives.

I do like a good "well i need to put fuel in it to get back" Fuel goes in all cars to make them work ................

• Haha 1

If they ask me for fuel I put a tenner in, which is what 8 litres?

Or if the lights on I will stretch to £15.

End of the day, no one fills my tank up - except for me!

1 hour ago, JDM1983 said:

Seems to happen from time to time.  There was a bloke called Jack once, straight up kind of guy, you know the sort.  All the prostitutes seemed to die on him as well.

• Haha 1

I never understand why in the uk we have 1.99 or 24.99 and in the US it's 1.95 and 24.95

But for cars in the UK we use 95 and not 99

Anyways I hate all this I prefer whole numbers so I would list high and "knock off" (sell at my price) anyway so £7195 is £7k and punters are happy "more" cash that way

The more whole round numbers the easier it is to books.

2 hours ago, JA Trader said:

Funny isnt it these corporate ideas of incentives.

I do like a good "well i need to put fuel in it to get back" Fuel goes in all cars to make them work ................

Yeah I know funny isn't it but there nothing worst than buying one with fuel light on either I remember buying two cars from a main dealers years back first one came on fumes and I asked him about the second time and he gave me a full tank 

1 hour ago, TangoVictor32 said:

I never understand why in the uk we have 1.99 or 24.99 and in the US it's 1.95 and 24.95

But for cars in the UK we use 95 and not 99

Anyways I hate all this I prefer whole numbers so I would list high and "knock off" (sell at my price) anyway so £7195 is £7k and punters are happy "more" cash that way

The more whole round numbers the easier it is to books.

You're missing a trick there TV, all of my cars end in 99 and not 95. The reason being if you sell 250 cars a year that £4 per car is a grand a year you're just giving away for no reason, over 10 years that's £10,000!! 

The thing that always makes me laugh is when people pay in cash and the balance is £5999, they'll give me £6,000 in notes and when I've finished counting I'll reach for my back pocket and they always say "oh no don't worry about the change" so I get an extra £1. The thing is if they went to the Co-op next door and spent £9 and paid with a £10 note and didn't get their £1 change they would soon start complaining, so suddenly that £1 is important to them!!

Now if my figures ended in 5 instead of 9 they would probably be much more likely to want their £5 change, and I'd miss out on my free £1's lol.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, tradex said:

very shrewed sir.....I myself use XX99....

alas I'm not saying they are tight in Norfolk but copper wire was invented by two locals fighting over a 2p coin....and yes that includes my mother before anyone asks;)

Brilliant.

why not stick another grand on - extra quarter mill per year :lol:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, J.T said:

You're missing a trick there TV, all of my cars end in 99 and not 95. The reason being if you sell 250 cars a year that £4 per car is a grand a year you're just giving away for no reason, over 10 years that's £10,000!! 

The thing that always makes me laugh is when people pay in cash and the balance is £5999, they'll give me £6,000 in notes and when I've finished counting I'll reach for my back pocket and they always say "oh no don't worry about the change" so I get an extra £1. The thing is if they went to the Co-op next door and spent £9 and paid with a £10 note and didn't get their £1 change they would soon start complaining, so suddenly that £1 is important to them!!

Now if my figures ended in 5 instead of 9 they would probably be much more likely to want their £5 change, and I'd miss out on my free £1's lol.  

15 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Brilliant.

why not stick another grand on - extra quarter mill per year :lol:

this is the best way)

Edited by GodInyou

16 hours ago, J.T said:

I love those sort of money multiplications :D 

Man after my own thinking :ph34r:

On 10/9/2019 at 2:48 PM, EPV said:

I have a backlog 

My question is, why are they now dead? What you been doing to them?