arashtrip

Cheap cars

Hi,

I am new to this business and starting my first trades soon. I've read couple of threads here in this forum about what types of car we should focus.

Is it a good idea to buy cheap cars (below £1,500) for the beginning as I need lower capital? I know that they may be faulty (and as they are cheap it is not practical to have them checked by a mechanic) but on the other hands they are selling more quickly.

In my area Facebook is very popular for car trading and as I can see cheap car ads are removed sometimes in couple of days.

• Sad 1

do you really want a reply to selling cars you have no idea if they are safe and want to sell on ?

thought you were going to do the job properly

7 minutes ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

do you really want a reply to selling cars you have no idea if they are safe and want to sell on ?

thought you were going to do the job properly

where did i say they are not safe??? as i've read here these kinds of cars are more prone to be faulty and so more returns expected. are you going to have a car worth £700 checked by a mechanic? as I visited couple of car dealers as a buyer for these kinds of cars they just rely on MOT and nothing else. are other care dealers really check to make sure no issues with these cheap cars? it is not what i saw in the dealers i've seen

Maybe my question should be this: what do you do to make sure (or become more confident) that these cheap cars are fine and wont make a problem?

Edited by arashtrip

8 minutes ago, arashtrip said:

Maybe my question should be this: what do you do to make sure (or become more confident) that these cheap cars are fine and wont make a problem?

fresh mot

proper pdi for things like everything works or note that it doesnt if you do the pdi before the mot you should get a clean fresh no advisory mot if the thing is any good,this always helps

your price point at £700 is just asking for trouble

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

fresh mot

proper pdi for things like everything works or note that it doesnt if you do the pdi before the mot you should get a clean fresh no advisory mot if the thing is any good,this always helps

your price point at £700 is just asking for trouble

thanks. so based on your reply i need to increase the price target. what level you feel safer? £1,000?

But honestly almost all of the dealers I've seen did not even do a simple check on these cars and when I asked them they said it has a valid MOT! maybe to say they are not good in the market but the fact that they had over 100 cars in their stock means they are at least making something.

Edited by arashtrip

I wouldn't recommend it with no checks the minimum should always be a mechanic check pdi and a fresh mot at the very least your just opening yourself up to problems if not 

I.get what your saying about other dealers but surely there opening themselves up to comebacks 

some of the large dealers chains don't even fresh mot 10k stock if its over 6 months I don't agree with there policy ..

good luck . Hope it goes well 

• Like 1

There’s plenty of Facebook dealers that are happy to make £50 on a car, they need 100 cars in stock just to make enough profit to pay their Asda bill each week. Doesn’t mean they’re doing very well.

Ive seen it myself, they’ll buy anything out of bca, [usually UKCGR no reserve] for £200 and literally a few hours later I’ll see the same car on marketplace for £300.

Edited by Lakeside
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lakeside said:

There’s plenty of Facebook dealers that are happy to make £50 on a car, they need 100 cars in stock just to make enough profit to pay their Asda bill each week. Doesn’t mean they’re doing very well.

Ive seen it myself, they’ll buy anything out of bca, [usually UKCGR no reserve] for £200 and literally a few hours later I’ll see the same car on marketplace for £300.

See that all the time gumtree is another favourite . Sometimes see the same car advertised a couple of times bought cleaned up readvertised etc  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arashtrip said:

very good advice. thank you all.

Your welcome .  

We sell cars up to 15k, if we take a car in part ex and we think it is worth resseling even a 500/600/1000 etc car we still do a full workshop check and often a new m.o.t just like we do with every other car we sell to make sure everything is safe and sound, ok cosmetics may not get that much attention but I would not sell any car that I hadn't checked over.

Edited by Row
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lakeside said:

Dont they pay fees ?

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Dont they pay fees ?

That £200 would be with fee’s! plenty of £75 crap in UKCGR no reserve round here

29 minutes ago, justina3 said:

They would get more for scrapping it.

Few years ago local auction to us offered a local trader/ scrap man all the unsold lots up to a couple of hundred quid in a lot of about 10 units for £100 a bonnet with reduced fees . 

Buying cars and selling them without checking them? Why not fit boilers without a gas safety qualification? MOT is a minimum standard which means the car met that standard on the time of test. The day after that the car can be illegal :huh:

I think you need to go back to your drawing board and do more thorough research.

Hi

I'm new to this Forum and i'm looking at buying a Drawing Board to go back to.

Can anyone recommend a good Drawing Board?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Hi

I'm new to this Forum and i'm looking at buying a Drawing Board to go back to.

Can anyone recommend a good Drawing Board?

Fisher price do good chalk boards i heard Boycie not sure about drawing boards though lol 

6 hours ago, arashtrip said:

I know that they may be faulty (and as they are cheap it is not practical to have them checked by a mechanic) but on the other hands they are selling more quickly.

Yes, they may be faulty, yes it's too expensive to have a mechanic check them, but hey, if they sell quick and I can rip people off for a few quid... why not? Money money. 

Honestly, you're asking this question in a forum? You sound like a proper piece of work. Go out, take some of people's hard earned with your unchecked faulty cars. Yes, you can do it, very easily. Cheap cars sell, if they're faulty or not, so if you can lie and hide it you'll make some money. Remember though, the world will catch up to you.

To all the old, proper, members on here ---- don't entertain these threads in future. We're educating the kind of people we don't need in this game.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MarkTVS said:

Are you based in Bradford/Birmingham out of sheer curiosity? 

:D

Fair play to some of you for giving this chancer the time of day.

1 hour ago, sparky said:

:D

Fair play to some of you for giving this chancer the time of day.

:lol::lol::lol:

Selling a car unchecked is asking for trouble though . Imagine a situation where something on a 300 pound car or any car for that matter has a serious accident due to a rusty brake pipe bursting causing a fatality you would be in deep with courts etc and as for living with the guilt I don't think I could

as someone said earlier all cars should be checked regardless of it £300-or £30000.. 

Edited by Casper
  • Like 2

On 9/8/2019 at 3:51 PM, arashtrip said:

I know that they may be faulty (and as they are cheap it is not practical to have them checked by a mechanic) but on the other hands they are selling more quickly.

You don't actually deserve to sell a car to anyone with that attitude pal:ph34r: , Taking money for a potential death is worth a good slap in my opinion .

Every car we have bought needs something doing , and it gets done as well . People like you give us all a bad name . 

So i think you might be better looking for a shelf stacking job at Asda . 

• Like 3