tradegirl

Cigarette burn

Hi everyone.

I have a near-mint Golf which has an annoying, very small cigarette burn in the passenger.

Anyone have any tricks or do I have to get a guy in? I've never bothered before, but it's a nice car and the hole is fairly noticeable.

TIA.

If the car is nice as you say, get it done properly. Our local guy is great sometimes you cannot tell at all and it's less than £50 I think.

wife repairs any i get

uses material from under seat usually

invisible mending should be a pre requisite of joining the motor trade or this forum:D

far more important than a vat number

ive contacted the mods:angry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cig burns were my favourite, easiest, quickest and therefore most profitable part of my SMART repair business. It is a piece of cake to make them dissapear but it is NOT a long term solution as the new "cover up" does expose itself after some use. Great to get it gone at POS but not sure how many came back to complain when they started to fail.

I rarely see fag burns now, possibly as many cars have leather nowadays but more likely the e cig and vape market overtaking the lit cigarette.

10 minutes ago, SC Derby said:

If the car is nice as you say, get it done properly. Our local guy is great sometimes you cannot tell at all and it's less than £50 I think.

SC, it's a low mileage 2014 plate, not a scratch on it. Getting the alloys refurbed as we speak, so it will truly be immaculate. At £9k, I think it's only fair to the customer and myself not to show him/her a cigarette burn? Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

@jason doyle motor sales I'll go on an invisible mending crash course before I get thrown out! :)

1 minute ago, Mark101 said:

Cig burns were my favourite, easiest, quickest and therefore most profitable part of my SMART repair business. It is a piece of cake to make them dissapear but it is NOT a long term solution as the new "cover up" does expose itself after some use. Great to get it gone at POS but not sure how many came back to complain when they started to fail.

I rarely see fag burns now, possibly as many cars have leather nowadays but more likely the e cig and vape market overtaking the lit cigarette.

Mark, the car doesn't even smell of smoke, nor had signs of it, so I'm unsure how it happened.
You're right though, rarely get fag burns now. Vaping looks stupid IMO (no offence to anyone), but at least it doesn't ruin the seats!

8 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

You're right though, rarely get fag burns now. Vaping looks stupid IMO (no offence to anyone), but at least it doesn't ruin the seats!

I am a Vaper but I am not offended at all because I agree, I look stupid. That said, it got me from buying 3 packs of Malboro Lights a day. My wallet and lungs don't care how stupid I look.

I do get embarassed though becuase it makes me look like a chav.

Edited by Mark101

1 minute ago, Mark101 said:

I am a Vaper but I am not offended at all because I agree, I look stupid. That said, it got me from buying 3 packs of Malboro Lights a day. My wallet and lungs don't care how stupid I look.

I do get embarassed though becuase it makes me look like a chav.

....sorry.

Well done on kicking the habit though. 3 packs a day :o

Obviously you're a grown man and I'm not giving you advice, but there's news coming out about vaping health risks. So...be careful with that too.

Of course something is going to get us all. For me it's stress and sugar!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Of course something is going to get us all. For me it's stress and sugar!

Take up vaping :lol:

I don't have sugar though.

4 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Take up vaping :lol:

I don't have sugar though.

Haha, vaping helps with stress? I'm thinking cocaine might help with that, and it might make me more productive :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, tradegirl said:

Haha, vaping helps with stress? I'm thinking cocaine might help with that, and it might make me more productive :lol:

Never tried it, I'm a bit of a square but vaping (as does smoking and alcohol) does reduce stress IMO. 

If you've never smoked/vaped......don't. You can't miss what you haven't had.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SC Derby said:

Get a really good repair and keep your trap shut, imo.

Erm...keep my trap shut about the repair or about vaping?

2 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Both :rolleyes:

Lol I'm a little confused, but fair enough.

Edited by tradegirl

I've sewn them in the past . Not ideal but certainly tider also smart repaired them 

I remember once I use a marker pen on an old ten year old corsa and peugeot 307 obv not a repair for the golf only don't that on old cheap shitboxes 

With a picture I could give better advice, right near a seam and it would be off to the trimmer to have it stretched and restitched, in the middle maybe add another seam. The seat repair kits were designed for velour, think mk3 Cortina not today's materials. Showing my age and the length of time I have been around this trade, yes I have repaired mk3 Cortina seats.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 11:41 AM, Mark101 said:

Never tried it, I'm a bit of a square but vaping (as does smoking and alcohol) does reduce stress IMO. 

If you've never smoked/vaped......don't. You can't miss what you haven't had.

This is true Mark . Lol i must be a full square never smoked vaped tried drugs and don't drink apart from very odd occasions too old for the hangovers 

and the alcohol wouldn't go down well my general meds now .. 

45 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I drink so much, it should be available on my pre paid prescription.

Or move to scotland the prescriptions are free and put it on it lol 

On 9/1/2019 at 6:52 PM, Casper said:

Or move to scotland the prescriptions are free and put it on it lol 

Sugar is my weakness though  

15 minutes ago, C B said:

This is exactly me!!

Gone from doing £450 a month on the old Marlboro Lights to vaping. 

I am also aware I look like a complete twat but as Mark says, I'm a lot better of financially and health wise. Oh, and i don't smell like an ashtray 24/7. 

Worst thing is, I didn't quit for the health side of things, I quit because the mortgage on the house I was buying was only £150 more than my cigarette expenditure, therefore in my eyes, quit smoking and find £150 a month and I've got a lovely house sat in 2 acres of land!! 

Just Googled price of fags (gave up nearly 4 years ago).

Tesco Malboro Lights = £11.39 for 20. I smoked at least 40 (but often into 3rd pack) and better half around 20. So conservatively, we were buying 3 -4 packs a day between us.

That means, in todays money we would be spending between £1025.10 and £1366.80 a month. My mortgage is just under a grand.

For me though, more than money is the horrible smell which is now completely gone (never smoked in current house).

Oh and I only have about 2/3 acre.

Edited by Mark101

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

Just Googled price of fags (gave up nearly 4 years ago).

Tesco Malboro Lights = £11.39 for 20. I smoked at least 40 (but often into 3rd pack) and better half around 20. So conservatively, we were buying 3 -4 packs a day between us.

That means, in todays money we would be spending between £1025.10 and £1366.80 a month. My mortgage is just under a grand.

For me though, more than money is the horrible smell which is now completely gone (never smoked in current house).

mark your math is impressive for pre 10a.m, scary though a grand a month to smoke, i would love to smoke marlboros again but to strong for me now...

besides, if your living in 3 acres you can afford to stand outside and enjoy a marlboro:lol:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, awc1000 said:
1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

if your living in 3 acres you can afford to stand outside and enjoy a marlboro:lol:

As in two thirds not 2 or 3 :lol:

Edited by Mark101

Any suggestions of repair kits people find good these days, i have one here a smart repair guy give me moons ago but its almost empty now could do with a replace but so many options.