Sign in to follow this  
Tony911

Bca assured report

Hi all, bought a Skoda citigo 14 plate 70k was supplied with a bca report and when collecting it the clutch release bearing is making a right racket contacted the assured team right away as there was no mention of this on the report, had an ace inspector come out inspect the car and even he said it's making a right noise and don't know how they missed it. Just had an email this morning from bca stating it's not covered as it's not slipping but it's making a horrible noise and requires a new release bearing as we can't sell it like this. Now what would be the best thing to do in this situation as this should have been put down as clutch requires attention. 

they have rejected

your answer is really to suck it up

or go legal as misrepresentation but this would fail

my answer is do you need them more than they need you?

if you have to buy from them  then i suggest you just bite the bullet

i argued over £125 refund this week with an auction house manager,i got my credit but i know my cards now marked as a *********

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Did you buy it in the hall or on line.

In the hall

14 minutes ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

they have rejected

your answer is really to suck it up

or go legal as misrepresentation but this would fail

my answer is do you need them more than they need you?

if you have to buy from them  then i suggest you just bite the bullet

i argued over £125 refund this week with an auction house manager,i got my credit but i know my cards now marked as a *********

This is why we don't shop at bca that often as said before it is shite 

I don’t think you have a claim having bought it in the hall as opposed to online.Some people might say that you were equally negligent.

53 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I don’t think you have a claim having bought it in the hall as opposed to online.Some people might say that you were equally negligent.

Reading through the terms and conditions nothing is covered unless it goes bang within 48 hours and even then good luck trying to get anything out of them. You would think being in the hall bidding and the car has a clean report which is what you pay for shouldn't really make any difference as you pay for all the checks to be carried out by the morons of aa.

You could possibly get them under “static gear selection” as it’s a noise during operation. Although I wouldn’t bank on it.

Is it a rattle on idle? Does it go when the clutch is down or the idle revs are picked up? If so, its the "gear cluster rollover rattle" that they suffer with.  I have just had the joy of that on a 2014 Seat Mii, one lady owner, 17k miles, FSH. Didn't hear it when I picked it up, seemed ok when I first got it back and after a day or so, it was rattling when cold. Its a horrible noise, caused by the combination of 3 cylinders and cheaply made gearboxes. However there is a tsb from VAG that says there is no remedy.  I actually put a new clutch kit in and the noise was exactly the same.  I have just sold it for less than cost, advertised as having a rattle when cold. Wont be buying anymore. 

6 minutes ago, CRW said:

Is it a rattle on idle? Does it go when the clutch is down or the idle revs are picked up? If so, its the "gear cluster rollover rattle" that they suffer with.  I have just had the joy of that on a 2014 Seat Mii, one lady owner, 17k miles, FSH. Didn't hear it when I picked it up, seemed ok when I first got it back and after a day or so, it was rattling when cold. Its a horrible noise, caused by the combination of 3 cylinders and cheaply made gearboxes. However there is a tsb from VAG that says there is no remedy.  I actually put a new clutch kit in and the noise was exactly the same.  I have just sold it for less than cost, advertised as having a rattle when cold. Wont be buying anymore. 

Interesting to hear and it's there on cold and hot but not as bad goes away when clutch is pressed down. Just priced up a clutch kit with release bearing £80 plus labour.  Is there no point in putting a clutch kit in?

18 minutes ago, Tony911 said:

Interesting to hear and it's there on cold and hot but not as bad goes away when clutch is pressed down. Just priced up a clutch kit with release bearing £80 plus labour.  Is there no point in putting a clutch kit in?

Personally I would say not, but to be fair I cant hear yours to say for definite.  If you really want to depress yourself, google vw up/ seat mii/ skoda citigo clutch rattle, its a well discussed topic (a bit like Autotrader on here).  I put the clutch kit in because it was tight to engage first and reverse when cold, it did improve that but made no difference to the rattle.  Its possible a bit of regular driving might make it less noticeable, if the gearbox oil gets a chance to work its way in. The cause is just the vibration from the 3 cylinders,cheaply made components, a lack of sound proofing and gearbox oil that is thin like water.

I sat with mine for 3 months, not knowing what to do with it. It was mint other than the noise, a 75PS Sport and owed me over £4000, but got back £3750 this week. Down here they are retailing around £5000 and bit more.  I did explain that those probably rattle as well, its a characteristic.  Made the customer sign the a print of the advert I posted, included a copy of the technical service bulletin and explained it will rattle but actually, it wont break! Time will tell.

34 minutes ago, CRW said:

Personally I would say not, but to be fair I cant hear yours to say for definite.  If you really want to depress yourself, google vw up/ seat mii/ skoda citigo clutch rattle, its a well discussed topic (a bit like Autotrader on here).  I put the clutch kit in because it was tight to engage first and reverse when cold, it did improve that but made no difference to the rattle.  Its possible a bit of regular driving might make it less noticeable, if the gearbox oil gets a chance to work its way in. The cause is just the vibration from the 3 cylinders,cheaply made components, a lack of sound proofing and gearbox oil that is thin like water.

I sat with mine for 3 months, not knowing what to do with it. It was mint other than the noise, a 75PS Sport and owed me over £4000, but got back £3750 this week. Down here they are retailing around £5000 and bit more.  I did explain that those probably rattle as well, its a characteristic.  Made the customer sign the a print of the advert I posted, included a copy of the technical service bulletin and explained it will rattle but actually, it wont break! Time will tell.

It is a rattle and when clutch is pressed it goes away so hoping it's release bearing but saying that have just read the forum regarding these shitigoes and you are right it does seem to be normal. So now just wondering if it's worth put a clutch in and still have it sitting around 6 months later

3 hours ago, Tony911 said:

This is why we don't shop at bca that often as said before it is shite 

Its the modern car that's shite more than BCA  I reckon . The problem started with making these cheap little Shitty cars cos people only know CHEAP the general public have forgotten the phrase " Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten "

They  just pass the problem on down the line now , 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tony911 said:

It is a rattle and when clutch is pressed it goes away so hoping it's release bearing but saying that have just read the forum regarding these shitigoes and you are right it does seem to be normal. So now just wondering if it's worth put a clutch in and still have it sitting around 6 months later

Im pretty sure the clutch replacement wont make any difference. Personally advertise as it, hope for someone to come along who has either had one before and is familiar with it, or is deaf.  It will do your head in like it did mine, but once its gone you can move on.  It wont fail because of it, your customer may freak a bit if they hear it, but you cant repair what isn't broken.

I flipped the money over into a 66 plate Citroen C1 and to be fair, they don't give me much trouble (plus its still under warranty until October).

All Ups, Citigo's and Mii's are now on my shit-list!

If it was the release bearing it would be worse when the clutch is pressed(when the bearing is then under the most load)if it rattles when clutch pedal is up it sounds like the usual vw gearbox chatter,a combination of no dual mass,3 cylinder (uneven tickover) engine and very thin gear oil,as CRW says just have a quick google about it no solution,we even tried putting thicker gear oil in one,did nothing except make gear selection harder!!!!  

Thanks guys for all the advise much appreciated. Not gonna bother putting a clutch in and just sell as is and hope for the best because it does drive well smooth gear changes. 

2 minutes ago, peter..o said:

If it was the release bearing it would be worse when the clutch is pressed(when the bearing is then under the most load)if it rattles when clutch pedal is up it sounds like the usual vw gearbox chatter,a combination of no dual mass,3 cylinder (uneven tickover) engine and very thin gear oil,as CRW says just have a quick google about it no solution,we even tried putting thicker gear oil in one,did nothing except make gear selection harder!!!!  

I toyed with an additive in the gearbox oil, but decided to cut my losses.  I even got it on the Vagcom to see if we could raise the idle as at about 900 rpm it was silent. My mechanic couldn't find a way to do it, there may be for a Vagcom wizard however. I also considered a gearbox swap out of a 2016 car with the same code, but no guarantees that would have made any difference.  Had I done that Id be another £500 down the road with it. 

Peter, what did you actually do with your one? Sell it or put it through the block?

There seems a consensus that from 2016 onwards they seem to rattle less, or not at all. Maybe VAG have done something different. I wont be finding out.

The latest BCA assured report has been designed to cover absolutely nothing apart from their arses.

I had the pleasure of quizzing the Customer services at Bedford what the latest check comprises of and it is laughable

I was advised that if I wasn't happy paying £35 for it I should buy my stock elsewhere

In fact they did me a favour .

I got off my arse and looked elsewhere and found other sources that value your custom, treat you with respect and offer variety and a decent margin

BCA won't miss my 10 purchases a month

15 minutes ago, jace said:

The latest BCA assured report has been designed to cover absolutely nothing apart from their arses.

I had the pleasure of quizzing the Customer services at Bedford what the latest check comprises of and it is laughable

I was advised that if I wasn't happy paying £35 for it I should buy my stock elsewhere

I got off my arse and looked elsewhere and found other sources that value your custom, treat you with respect and offer variety and a decent margin

You are right I went through the terms and conditions and they don't cover nothing apart from there arses. Plenty of other places to get stock

2 hours ago, tradex said:

Out of interest could you check engine idle rpm on a scanner with a graph on it, is the idle speed consistent?

Will have it checked out. Why would that cause clutch noise?

With  BCA assured i have made a  good few claims, Some surprised and paid out, Some thought it was a certainty it would be  aid out and it was rejected, its hit and miss in my opinion, They basically do not want to know once you paid

15 hours ago, jace said:

I have always found that you get a lot of bonuses with BCA Assured stuff when you are buying in the hall.In the last year I have had quite a few good buys from my local BCA that were wrongly marked ‘engine needs attention’.It is a big help when the on line buyers are put off.

6 hours ago, tradex said:

You haven't got clutch noise, you have gearbox noise....from what I'm reading, goes quiet with clutch pedal depressed. 

Three pots are inherently out of balance and those firing pulses don't do gears and chains any favours, just wondering if a slight misfire (and those VW 3 pots love an exhaust n chain drama) would cause even worse gear chatter?

Will get it checked sometime next week and keep you posted 

On 8/10/2019 at 0:29 PM, trade vet said:

I have always found that you get a lot of bonuses with BCA Assured stuff when you are buying in the hall.In the last year I have had quite a few good buys from my local BCA that were wrongly marked ‘engine needs attention’.It is a big help when the on line buyers are put off.

Indeed. The other side of the coin that not many mention.

As I've said before, on the stock that I know pretty well my eyes light up when I see red on the reports.