15Cars

Introduction

Hello Everybody

I've been reading this forum for some time. I am a newbie. I've been trading 4 months and have sold about 60 vehicles. Sure, the first ones were done through FaceBook, and weren't prepped how they have been, plus I've bought some utter crap, but I'm in the green and I'm happy. The past month I feel like I'm really finding my feet; I've been sourcing privately and through advertising -  so many situations I've read about on this forum have rang true with me, it's amazing.

As a green horn, I think other newbies might find my observations helpful, so will add my views from time to time.

I'm currently based at home with my stock of 5-20 cars in secure storage and viewing by appointment. I advertise with AT, Motors and eBay, although I'm likely to ditch Motors and eBay sooner than later.

Cheers

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 15Cars said:

Hello Everybody

I've been reading this forum for some time. I am a newbie. I've been trading 4 months and have sold about 60 vehicles. Sure, the first ones were done through FaceBook, and weren't prepped how they have been, plus I've bought some utter crap, but I'm in the green and I'm happy. The past month I feel like I'm really finding my feet; I've been sourcing privately and through advertising -  so many situations I've read about on this forum have rang true with me, it's amazing.

As a green horn, I think other newbies might find my observations helpful, so will add my views from time to time.

I'm currently based at home with my stock of 5-20 cars in secure storage and viewing by appointment. I advertise with AT, Motors and eBay, although I'm likely to ditch Motors and eBay sooner than later.

Cheers

Hi 

You have started well when the market has been difficult.I would suggest that you stick with what you are doing,don’t get greedy and be prepared for banana skins ahead.Good Luck.

• Like 1

Thanks gents, your posts in particular have been very comforting when I've bought 10 motors and the phone hasn't been ringing :-) I once read on here that "the right cars at the right price will always sell" - how true that is!

Cheers

• Like 1

There's a bum for every seat as one of my old retired car friends always said 

Hello everyone,

I would also like to take the opportunity to introduce myself.

I have started a few months back (only part time for now) after reading a lot of useful information on this forum. First thing I did was to buy the digital magazine, an excellent read. I also went to CDX in Farnborough where I met a lot of knowledgeable people. Then I opened a LTD, bought insurance, got trade plates, warranty booklets, registered with auction houses, bought a couple of cars and advertised them at a reasonable  price on different platforms. To date I haven’t sold anything and they’re both 1 owner full main dealer service history and new MOT. I’m sure they will sell sooner or later but I must say 60 cars in 4 months is a good going in this extremely challenging and competitive industry.

• Like 1

Welcome and good luck!

Very impressive to have done 60 in 4 months from home you must be doing something right. What kind of stock are you selling and are you sourcing them all privately? 

The forum is definitely a great resource and always good to get new ideas and people involved I think

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

whats your vat number please ?? selling 60 cars you are over the threshold

The ltd company/VAT number I use for this venture have existed since 2012 - I’m a newbie to the car game but not to business in general.

2 minutes ago, 15Cars said:

The ltd company/VAT number I use for this venture have existed since 2012 - I’m a newbie to the car game but not to business in general.

I presume you will have changed you Ltd category with Companies House?

What stuff are you selling - 60 is an excellent number in 4 months from a standing start, well done.

11 minutes ago, SouthernTrader said:

Welcome and good luck!

Very impressive to have done 60 in 4 months from home you must be doing something right. What kind of stock are you selling and are you sourcing them all privately? 

The forum is definitely a great resource and always good to get new ideas and people involved I think

Thank you.

Initially I was pulling crap from local auctions, dragging it back and sticking it up for sale on FaceBook a bit on the top. It’s quite easy to do 10+ a week this way if you’ve the time and budget, but of course, you start getting known for this and inevitably you face problems. After almost a couple of months doing that, I took the plunge and started with AT, eBay and Motors, I figured out exactly how I wanted my stuff prepped and what I wanted. By this time I’d built good relationships with a local paint shop, workshop, tyre shop and wheel refurbishment shop, they didn’t take me that seriously to begin with, but after I was appearing almost daily with more motors and paying same day, things changed. After I’d experienced a couple of lumpy deals from AT, I quickly forgot about flogging the crap and almost overnight became hugely more selective over what I was buying.

Initially I was selling any and everything that looked cheap on the block, but now I seem to be doing well with low mileage, well spec’d diesel stuff between 2-12k. 

14 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I presume you will have changed you Ltd category with Companies House?

What stuff are you selling - 60 is an excellent number in 4 months from a standing start, well done.

Yes of course, first thing flagged when I tried to register with auction houses and start my trade policy. In fact, the company that supplies my trade policy even wanted a previous category removed all together.

14 minutes ago, robertus said:

Welcome aboard man!

might be a woman:huh:

or a transclucent fishymagig

Good man I need someone to give me a run for my money on my monthly sales figures ;)

• Haha 1