SouthernTrader

Customers not reading the adverts

Morning everyone, just wondering everyone’s experiences with customers not reading adverts

I've recently moved into a office facility on a shared office building, I have a storage yard where I store all my cars but it’s not an appropriate or professional setting for viewings.

ive recently gone to an AT package where my office address is advertised and within a week I’ve already had 2 people phone telling me they’ve turned up but can’t find my cars and are surprised to be outside an office building. Does anyone else have this problem?

my adverts clearly state by appointment only but it’s the bottom of the description and I guess people are not reading that far. 

What’s everyone else’s thoughts?

I used to get this fairly regularly years ago when I had a unit though was part time. But 50% of customers can be fairly stupid, the same ones that call and ask, the mileage, the price, when it was last serviced even though it is all clearly displayed in the advert. Customers see a picture then pick up the phone or drive to see it.

Had one yesterday on FB....The very 1st line says £12995. Some numpty, 1st comment,  asks how much :wacko:

I have a site - and I'm amazed when someone turns up unannounced nowadays. (I don't care and I'm glad they came of course but anyone with a brain rings or emails first.  Just to check you've still got the junk at least).

You can't fix stupid, and the morons will always be out there.

My adverts and website used to say Appointment Only.  I give up and just let them turn up as not one week (sometimes not even one day) goes by without this happening.

It says, we recommend calling before you travel just to cover ourselves and save the "It is still on XYZ (usually FB)."

1 hour ago, tradex said:

Had a customer ask why the engine oil wasn't black yesterday:wacko:

....which its self is worrying but the first part of ad and vid state just serviced:rolleyes:

Jesus...

1 hour ago, tradex said:

....which its self is worrying but the first part of ad and vid state just serviced:rolleyes:

Love it you do get them :lol:

6 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

It constantly amazes me how some people manage to get themselves dressed in the morning...

it constantly amazes how some people dress each day,the current trend seems to be old curtains again:D

6 hours ago, SouthernTrader said:

What’s everyone else’s thoughts?

a lot of this i believe is down to what they are viewing on

can you turn these turn ups into sales somehow?

No offence intended to those with sites, but I couldn’t make myself physically go to my unit Monday to Friday 8-6, plus some weekends on the off chance someone might walk in... Far too much like real work....

I go in for collections and am locking up as soon they’ve paid. 

Edited by Arfur Dealy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

No offence intended to those with sites, but I couldn’t make myself physically go to my unit Monday to Friday 8-6, plus some weekends on the off chance someone might walk in... Far too much like real work....

I go in for collections and am locking up as soon they’ve paid. 

I quite like getting up and going to work. Perhaps that is because it is my business.

I prefer it now I have an employee and there is always something to do.  I spend most of my time looking for stock, tweaking photos and adverts, organising servicing, doing the books etc. Eating....of course.

Tomorrow for example, I have 2 hand overs and at least (I have genuinely lost count) 4 people saying they will pop down on Monday to see XYZ.  

I absolutely love the buzz of being busy (now there are two of us to help move stock, test drives etc).  The quiet times do my head in though.

The way I see it is, what else am I going to do?  Kids have grown up and moved out and the Mrs is at work anyway.

Weekend viewings have to be very well qualified because I reckon it is 3 hours home to home once I have opened up and closed up again.  That isn't happening for a "can I have a look."

I reckon I sell as many cars to walkers on as I do phone appointments.  Certainly when I buy a car, I like to see the set up before I engage in conversation.

Edited by Mark101
  • Like 1

At least I’m not the only one who gets it then. I’ve updated the adverts to say the cars are not always stored on site - see if that encourages a phone call.

I don’t want to miss out on sales and can accommodate most weekend viewings with notice but I guess I’m never going to be able to accommodate people who are just out going from dealership to dealership “looking” with my current set up

Think I read it on here or in a news paper article... David Cameron's police protection team called a dealer in Oxford and said the PM wants to buy a car and asked the dealer to stay open a little late and that they would be there at x time. (The dealer thought it was a prank)

Lo and behold the squad along with the PM turned up to pitch at the exact time they said they would (I think it was something Ridiculous like 6.12pm)

He bought a Micra for his missus and the cops looked fazed as the dealer didnt give any discount. So much they expected him to 

Edited by TangoVictor32

On 03/08/2019 at 11:30 AM, Arfur Dealy said:

It constantly amazes me how some people manage to get themselves dressed in the morning...

+1. 

On 03/08/2019 at 11:44 AM, tradex said:

Some people know absolutely nothing about cars, to be honest I take it as a great opportunity to explain in detail the benefits of buying from a professional independent rather than a chancer or a huge faceless corporation. If only I knew of a good professional independent...….. :)

31 minutes ago, stockedup! said:

Some people know absolutely nothing about cars, to be honest I take it as a great opportunity to explain in detail the benefits of buying from a professional independent rather than a chancer or a huge faceless corporation. If only I knew of a good professional independent...….. :)

as the header says you could write war and peace in your adverts but when customer turns up they cant often even remember what they've come for

this is where personal service comes in plus impeccable detailed cars followed up by explaining in words what procedures your cars go through prior to being offered for sale

once sale agreed customer then signs all paperwork including confirmation they've seen pdi, have seen and had time to see my warranty and then of course the signature on the legal document to purchase ie the receipt

...........i understand this is a contract to purchase and i am over 18 etc.........

the hardest bit is getting the viewing so even i now answer txts emails pop ups promptly thanks to kindly kicking from this forum...........thanks chapps chappesses

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

as the header says you could write war and peace in your adverts but when customer turns up they cant often even remember what they've come for

this is where personal service comes in plus impeccable detailed cars followed up by explaining in words what procedures your cars go through prior to being offered for sale

once sale agreed customer then signs all paperwork including confirmation they've seen pdi, have seen and had time to see my warranty and then of course the signature on the legal document to purchase ie the receipt

...........i understand this is a contract to purchase and i am over 18 etc.........

the hardest bit is getting the viewing so even i now answer txts emails pop ups promptly thanks to kindly kicking from this forum...........thanks chapps chappesses

Well said JD, we are experts in what we do..... if they had the knowledge what we have they would be doing what we do!

I had an experience recently of getting new double glazing and I know as much about that field as I do about brain surgery!, What a fookin shark tank that is but whilst I experienced some shite and bollocks I had 2 very good experiences. It was good for me to be the punter on a reasonably salty purchase, something I don't often get to experience.

I did give both companies positive reviews even though I didn't buy from one of them.