Sign in to follow this  
tradegirl

Are newer DSG boxes still bad news?

We bought and sold a few older VW/Audis with DSG boxes in the past, but they all needed repairs. The last of which was a 2007.

Are the newer boxes reliable? Or still problematic? Should we venture back into VW/Audi autos?

I would have said yes they are fairly safe until I purchased a 2014 Audi A6 avant, 64k Miles and it has gearbox issues, come to think of it I’ve not had a good year of Audi autos, but thankfully my Audi tech thinks the a6 is just a pressure sensor issue.

1 minute ago, MarkTVS said:

I would have said yes they are fairly safe until I purchased a 2014 Audi A6 avant, 64k Miles and it has gearbox issues, come to think of it I’ve not had a good year of Audi autos, but thankfully my Audi tech thinks the a6 is just a pressure sensor issue.

Damn. Hopefully it is just that...those damn gearboxes don't come cheap.

9 hours ago, MarkTVS said:

Erm hello, are we forgetting the infamous R8?

22 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Erm hello, are we forgetting the infamous R8?

:D hence my statement I’ve not had a good year with Audi autos:lol:

In fairness the R8 isn’t a dsg box, it’s a stupid r tronic semi Auto which is as comparably poor as the bmw smg boxes. It is actually the same as the lambo e-gears which probably explains why it’s crap.

However on the subject of the R8 I shall need to update the topic as it is now fully fixed. It was Audi’s poor workmanship that caused the fault.

1 hour ago, MarkTVS said:

However on the subject of the R8 I shall need to update the topic as it is now fully fixed. It was Audi’s poor workmanship that caused the fault.

What a relief, I hope Audi came to the party.

7 speed are fine if you know how to look after them .

And can FIX them in house or if they need to go elsewhere , Goodbye profit in car :(.

lovely when working , money losers when you get a bad one .

need to be careful in my experience as they  dont die instantly they die a slow death, so you can be  buying a  PX thinking it is fine only to fine it has intermittent issues, Should always plug your  £2000 diags in and read the codes even if there are none showing, Its usually the monotronic units that fail as people  miss the 40k gearbox services, Reason they miss it is that its around £240 just for gear box service, 

One sign of pending doom is a small very subtle shunt when selecting drive and setting of, It should be seamless, I tend to stay away from anything over 80k on DSG front as already mentioned its crazy expensive if there is issue

Got a 2006 Golf GTi DSG like that... full spec, best I've seen. Drives perfectly when cold and when moving.

After that, it's a kangaroo at low speed On/Off.

Done my nuts on it... Motronic unit, gearbox replacement... but still the same. 

Been sitting around for 6m or so...

Edited by premi-motor

I guess general consensus is hit and miss? With my streak of fine purchases, I think I'd better stay away!

If we avoided every car which has issues/have had issues - we would never stock anything.

I generally (and respectfully) ignore most warnings providing:

1) Number of keepers is acceptable (including how long last keeper had it)

2) Mileage is sensible

3) Service history is good

4) MOT history looks well with few advisories

5) 2 keys means a lot to me too - it just shows someone has been "good" with the car (IMO).

6) Vendor selling the stuff (i.e. I avoid Supermarket PX's)

I do make sure there is good/excellent margins on any forewarned stuff (DSG, German, Land Rover etc) - that is the key and the biggest point for me.

Edited by Mark101
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I do make sure there is good/excellent margins on any forewarned stuff (DSG, German, Land Rover etc) - that is the key and the biggest point for me.

/\ /\ /\ This in a nutshell :)

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

If we avoided every car which has issues/have had issues - we would never stock anything.

I generally (and respectfully) ignore most warnings providing:

1) Number of keepers is acceptable (including how long last keeper had it)

2) Mileage is sensible

3) Service history is good

4) MOT history looks well with few advisories

5) 2 keys means a lot to me too - it just shows someone has been "good" with the car (IMO).

6) Vendor selling the stuff (i.e. I avoid Supermarket PX's)

well said. following the above guide reduces the pool of cars you can buy, but reduces the risk of working for nothing

1 minute ago, MattR said:

well said. following the above guide reduces the pool of cars you can buy, but reduces the risk of working for nothing

Also helps having a Mrs that has full factory/main agent login for VAG product on her laptop, great for tracking service history.

2 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Also helps having a Mrs that has full factory/main agent login for VAG product on her laptop, great for tracking service history.

That could earn you a few beers on here!

:lol:

She works multi-brand for main agent:

Audi, VW, Skoda, Seat, Mercedes, BMW, Land Rover, Jaguar, Lexus, Porsche, Toyota and Honda.  

I struggle to get information for anything other than VAG though, although I can twist her arm but she doesn't have that information on her PC.

4 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Vendor selling the stuff (i.e. I avoid Supermarket PX's)

Agreed with everything else you said, but I always look at the Car Supermarket p/ex stuff differently.  For me, its obvious why they are trading, over 12 months old and 20k miles. With main dealers I tend to think if its sub 5 years old, with nice mileage and a supposed good pedigree about it,  why aren't they retailing it, what do they know about it to make them want to ditch it? Of course, if its a Focus in a BMW franchise, I understand, but a Focus in a Ford garage and I always wonder.

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

although I can twist her arm

You may just find that chocolates, wine or flowers may provide a more desirable response..!:)

49 minutes ago, tradex said:

05 BMW Z4 on a Vauxhall Thurlow Nunn main agent front near me, looks a peach but, they must be hurting to retail grenades like that. 

A year or so ago when I was buying on DA, at Worksop the Vx dealer was retail an 2008/9 Corsas & a 2004 CRV.