JA Trader

Code Reader Snap on ???

Looking at investing a bit of money into a code reader.

We do most repairs ourselves so something that would be very useful as a diagnostic tool. We currently have a little hand held one but i am looking at something a bit more advanced. Been considering the snap on solus what does everyone recommend.

Try the Autel Pro - I'm not techy but it looks a great bit of kit.  Think EuroCP are doing them and have various offers.

Cheaper than Snap On and I believe do more?

Where is Dave?

7 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

Been considering the snap on solus what does everyone recommend.

Great bit of kit, I have the more basic Ethos (reads everything like the Solus but you can't do coding)

If you don't do a lot of coding (new batteries, new injectors etc etc) the Ethos is great for under a grand and then spend the other grand on a Launch which can do a lot of coding and just in case one can't read something you can always fall back on the other. I have both, my Snap On is 4 times faster. 

2 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Great bit of kit, I have the more basic Ethos (reads everything like the Solus but you can't do coding)

If you don't do a lot of coding (new batteries, new injectors etc etc) the Ethos is great for under a grand and then spend the other grand on a Launch which can do a lot of coding and just in case one can't read something you can always fall back on the other. I have both, my Snap On is 4 times faster. 

I have the opportunity to buy a snap on Solus for around £500 local to me think this might be the way to go if it can do everything all in one.

24 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

I have the opportunity to buy a snap on Solus for around £500 local to me think this might be the way to go if it can do everything all in one.

Check it has the latest updates because that sounds too good to be true.

29 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

I have the opportunity to buy a snap on Solus for around £500 local to me

For that sort of money you can use it for a year, then sell it on for the same money and it's a no brainer. 

Even if it doesn't have the latest updates doesn't matter that much, you just won't be able to read some 2018 and 2019 cars. No big deal. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Check it has the latest updates because that sounds too good to be true.

What would the latest update be 16.2 rings a bell for this one

I think it will be 19.2

19 the year and they do a new update twice a year sometimes so 19.2 or 19.4?

On 16.2 you will comfortably work on vehicles up 2017 model year

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

I think it will be 19.2

19 the year and they do a new update twice a year sometimes so 19.2 or 19.4?

On 16.2 you will comfortably work on vehicles up 2017 model year

Im pretty happy with that for the price i think. Our newest car is a 60 plate so still 4 years clear. Ill get in touch with the chap and get it brought i think

BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING S/H YOU NEED TO LOOK AT THE LAUNCH CRP123 AND CONSIDER IT

• Like 2

We have many different diagnostic systems there isn’t one that does everything brilliantly. My advice would be to buy a cheap toughbook laptop and get the copy Delphi Software off eBay for £50. 

Its almost as good as our £1300 maxidas system for a fraction of the cost! 

• Like 3

I’ve used Delphi clone for years, brilliant kit for literally a tenth of the price of the snap on equivalent

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MarkTVS said:

We have many different diagnostic systems there isn’t one that does everything brilliantly. My advice would be to buy a cheap toughbook laptop and get the copy Delphi Software off eBay for £50. 

Interesting, just out of interest, what interface would you use to connect the delphi software lappy to the vehicle?

10 hours ago, met said:

Interesting, just out of interest, what interface would you use to connect the delphi software lappy to the vehicle?

Obd usb cable.

I noticed the word WOW pop up on almost every add as well good old fashioned text talk or some crazy advertising ploy to make the add stand out who knows.

9 hours ago, DPF said:

Obd usb cable.

Oh, right. As simple as that. I'm surprised it works. I have a Delphi scanner, I never thought to try plugging it in to a 'billy basic' OBD2 connector?

The best bang for the buck is Autel Maxisys Pro, around £1800

Snap On is a rip off for the updates, Delphi is good, but like MarkTVS said no one machine does all.

I have all 3 of those, (well actually I have the Maxisys Elite which is good for access to some hard to get on line database files :D but you'll not need that unless your Techie is a flasher :lol:), they are a good arsenal for all day to day stuff.

As most of you know I also go way more in depth than just code reads and have around 12 different Dealer Level machines too, there isn't really anything I cant diagnose and fix in house, recently started EEPROMMING work too !!

Yes, for general Car Sales work the Autel will pay for itself time and again.

Beware of that Solus for that price :ph34r:

• Like 1

hi mate, what sort of age cars do you go up to? I use a cheap Delphi knock off that I got from ebay that does loads of stuff to be fair

1 hour ago, Grantlfc81 said:

hi mate, what sort of age cars do you go up to? I use a cheap Delphi knock off that I got from ebay that does loads of stuff to be fair

Our newest in stock is a 60 plate and that is about as new as we have ever had.

I dont mind spending a bit more money to future proof our investment as we move to newer cars.

19 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

The best bang for the buck is Autel Maxisys Pro, around £1800

Snap On is a rip off for the updates, Delphi is good, but like MarkTVS said no one machine does all.

I have all 3 of those, (well actually I have the Maxisys Elite which is good for access to some hard to get on line database files :D but you'll not need that unless your Techie is a flasher :lol:), they are a good arsenal for all day to day stuff.

As most of you know I also go way more in depth than just code reads and have around 12 different Dealer Level machines too, there isn't really anything I cant diagnose and fix in house, recently started EEPROMMING work too !!

Yes, for general Car Sales work the Autel will pay for itself time and again.

Beware of that Solus for that price :ph34r:

Thanks for the input. I have looked into Autel but i think it lacks the programming facility for us no way of coding injectors or batterys.

Im sure the solus isnt dodgy :) or at least i think chap is shutting his garage down and we have had a few tools of him and such.

On 7/16/2019 at 4:19 PM, MarkTVS said:

Do you need to be connected to wifi for this to work or is all good once programmed onto the computer.

If your newest is 60 plate the Delphi knock off on eBay will probably do most of the stuff you need and is brilliant for £70

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

If your newest is 60 plate the Delphi knock off on eBay will probably do most of the stuff you need and is brilliant for £70

It would appear my newest is now a 14 plate and it has an EML lights on :(:(.

I think im gonna go with the solus for the money and might try something else in the future always sell solus and break even.

Good luck mate, just remember some codes come on because of some other issues with the car. It’s sometimes misleading!

On 18/07/2019 at 1:06 PM, JA Trader said:

Our newest in stock is a 60 plate and that is about as new as we have ever had.

I dont mind spending a bit more money to future proof our investment as we move to newer cars.

Thanks for the input. I have looked into Autel but i think it lacks the programming facility for us no way of coding injectors or batterys.

Im sure the solus isnt dodgy :) or at least i think chap is shutting his garage down and we have had a few tools of him and such.

Do you need to be connected to wifi for this to work or is all good once programmed onto the computer.

No need for WiFi, it’s all good when plugged in.

What cars can the Autel not program? We have used it to program batteries etc before I’m sure aswell as injectors unless I’m mistaken.

I also only use a sealey basic code reader for more complex stuff that it cant read the mobile mechanic swears by the snap on scanner with latest updates he also has has an an older launch that does up to up 2011 as a back up 

On 7/20/2019 at 7:39 AM, MarkTVS said:

No need for WiFi, it’s all good when plugged in.

What cars can the Autel not program? We have used it to program batteries etc before I’m sure aswell as injectors unless I’m mistaken.

Right okay i wasn't aware you can do coding so that changes everything.

I think the snap on has fell through as not heard from him all weekend no surprise.

Ill look into Autel then and go from there.