tradegirl

How far do your customers travel?

2 minutes ago, XFS said:

I always seem to sell to customers more than 1 hour away.

Last two cars were to customers 2 and 6 hours away.

I hope so, XFS, I really hope it doesn't knock me.

Out of the 14 left, the 9 customers would literally have their travel time doubled to come to me. So places like Worcester, Kidderminster and Pershore, I think I'd lose.

And the remaining 5, it's a 15-20 mins increase in a longish travel time, so the jury is out on those. For instance 1hr55 to 2hr13, or 2hr30 to 2hr45.

I think I'm winding myself up looking at this.

Also 6 hours?! :o

54 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Done a spreadsheet of 30 cars with locations, distances from Bromsgrove where they were sold from, and distances to Walsall (where I am/going to be). Trying to insert an image but it's not working.

Out of 30 cars, 10 are closer to Walsall, and 6 are similar distances, so I'd like to think I would have gotten the sales anyway.

It's worrying how many people travelled only half an hour though, or how many people the travel time is literally double that to come to Walsall.

Got 4 cars up for sale at the moment (around 2 weeks now), all 4 advertised in Walsall. Enquiries on all, but only 1 viewing and no sales so far. Wondering if it's price, price bracket, location, or just quiet. Do I drop prices, do I change sale location to Bromsgrove, or do I just wait? Pretty frustrating.

Where do you advertise? Its probably different here in Northern Ireland but we have a few different platforms, i always start with the likes of Gumtree, Usedcarsni and facebook (Only because its free) then if no calls id advertise on a site called Donedeal which is for the southern of Ireland, Ive had people travel from the very bottom (Roughly 7-8 hours) for stuff that is rightly priced.

3 minutes ago, NITM said:

Where do you advertise? Its probably different here in Northern Ireland but we have a few different platforms, i always start with the likes of Gumtree, Usedcarsni and facebook (Only because its free) then if no calls id advertise on a site called Donedeal which is for the southern of Ireland, Ive had people travel from the very bottom (Roughly 7-8 hours) for stuff that is rightly priced.

Hi NITM. EBay mostly, cars are on FB Marketplace too, sold a few that way.

They're on Car Gurus too, but most are sold through eBay.

Very very rarely advertise on AutoTrader.

Edited by tradegirl

1 minute ago, tradegirl said:

I actually have quite good luck with facebook marketplace and surprisngly gumtree, maybe give them a go? Is your yard along or close to a main road? Maybe set a few out forsale also?

3 minutes ago, NITM said:

I actually have quite good luck with facebook marketplace and surprisngly gumtree, maybe give them a go? Is your yard along or close to a main road? Maybe set a few out forsale also?

We're home-based. Possibly soon to part ways, and my business partner's area is surrounded by more affluent areas. I'd be dealing from my house at least initially, and it puts me in the Midlands/Black Country, which isn't so great for sales I think.

But maybe if I work harder online, with videos etc, I can close the gap. Thanks for the gumtree tip, I'll check it out.

53 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

I hope so, XFS, I really hope it doesn't knock me.

Out of the 14 left, the 9 customers would literally have their travel time doubled to come to me. So places like Worcester, Kidderminster and Pershore, I think I'd lose.

And the remaining 5, it's a 15-20 mins increase in a longish travel time, so the jury is out on those. For instance 1hr55 to 2hr13, or 2hr30 to 2hr45.

I think I'm winding myself up looking at this.

Also 6 hours?! :o

6 hours is not unusual if you have something someone wants. I've had people from Wales, Aberdeen, Cornwall, Newcastle.

Out of interest what stock have you advertised? I think we stock similar stuff, i remember seeing you say you had a few fiestas and bmws if i mind right? For me smaller first time cars like fiestas always done well on Gumtree, again it might be different here in NI but would always be worth a shot. 

16 minutes ago, XFS said:

6 hours is not unusual if you have something someone wants. I've had people from Wales, Aberdeen, Cornwall, Newcastle.

To NI?! Wow that's quite a distance! That's testament to you and your cars if people travel that far. Most we've had is 3 hours.

Currently we have an L200, a 1 series, a C Class and a Civic. £5k-8k. They're all popular cars I think, but...2 weeks and I'm getting anxious.

I sold one to Spain recently which has to be my furthest:D

Just now, MarkTVS said:

I sold one to Spain recently which has to be my furthest:D

Haha, well done! I sold one to South Africa once, Grand Vitara as his over there had broken down.

I don't think location is a barrier to your sales:

I have sold to Dublin, Belfast, Pembroke, Redcar (and they returned for a second car), Cornwall, Manchester, Barry and many other locations, all hours/miles away.

I have more recently sold to Stoke, Telford, Wolverhampton all of which are more local to you then me.

On Friday, I started work at 5am and at 5pm, I drove home and my better half drove me to Ipswich (195 miles and 3.5 hourseacy way) to collect a car I wanted and back (got home at 4am). The car was for me (sold Discovery) and I wanted the best for my budget (in other words, still some margin as everything is for sale), so travel whilst not ideal wasn't a barrier.

Serious buyers will travel for the right car.

1 hour ago, tradegirl said:

To NI?! Wow that's quite a distance! That's testament to you and your cars if people travel that far. Most we've had is 3 hours.

Currently we have an L200, a 1 series, a C Class and a Civic. £5k-8k. They're all popular cars I think, but...2 weeks and I'm getting anxious.

It doesn't always work. I also have a good spec low mileage BMW 4 series at a great price which people should travel for, but I can't give it away.

@tradegirl Could we have a link to one of your adds to see if there is anything we can help with? What year is the l200? They usually do quite well here

Why view this as a negative. 

Walsalls minutes from the M6 the UKs busiest motorway potentially putting you within reach of so many more customers.

3 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Why view this as a negative. 

Walsalls minutes from the M6 the UKs busiest motorway potentially putting you within reach of so many more customers.

I'd never thought of it that way. I always think of the immediate surrounding areas. But you make a good point.

9 hours ago, XFS said:

It doesn't always work. I also have a good spec low mileage BMW 4 series at a great price which people should travel for, but I can't give it away.

How long you had it in XFS? Strange that, BMWs are always good sellers, but there's always a car that baffles you.

10 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Serious buyers will travel for the right car.

You're right I suppose Mark. Just I guess being used to having the majority of customers from Gloucestershire, Worcestershire etc, it feels like I'll essentially be losing my customer base. But I'm acting like I'm moving to the other side of the country, instead of half an hour down the motorway.

Hi TG, don't go overthinking this, you may find  that you have moved closer to your intended target market..

You were an hour and a half away from many that soon you will only be half an hour from..

Good luck with the changes you are making, I'm sure they will do you well.

"Build it and they will come" :)

20 hours ago, tradegirl said:

I find Ebay/Gumtree a waste of time to be honest. Autotrader all the way for me particularly when coupled with strong reviews, sold 21 from this month with 18 coming from AT(The others were 2 from referrals and 1 from CG). I need to get FB sorted as I am way behind the curve with it. 

The sales have come from people within an hours drive but there have been 3 that have gone over 200 miles away.

TG, may I ask why you don't use Autotrader?

@tradegirl   Mindset and the way you view things. Do you view things as a problem or a challenge. 

I personally reckon I could set up anywhere reasonably populated and be absolutely fine. 

Hi Tradegirl - you move further away from somewhere and you get closer to another - if you're going to be close to the M6, put on your ad '5 mins from Junction (*) of the M6'. IT ALL HELPS. For your price point I dont see an issue. you're probably quiet because it really isnt over busy for anyone. If you only have 4 cars ready, thats all you can sell. Ive got 13 cars on AT, I came back off holiday on friday evening and the phone has only rung once so far. So dont over analyse the area stuff, People will routinely travel an hour for a car without batting an eyelid. And lots more for a more unique one.

TG mine come from all over the country, in fact Europe as well. My customers feel they can trust me and are prepared to travel much longer distances than they would do normally.

However, I target quality customers who have the ability to read, watch a 20 min video and then make an educated buying decision from the comfort of their own home. 

Another good thing when they travel a long distance is that they are already invested in the car. I can't really remember any customer travelling a long distance and failing to buy.

I love it when people travel a long way. The only times I can remember not selling a car to the first viewer is when they have been local and not had to make significant effort.

I never allow anyone to just "pop round" to view a car. I always ensure they have to make some effort and they are viewing on my terms, not theirs.

Had a guy travel over 190 miles last week........ Tried to get the price down but I already knew he'd been to see others that weren't up to scratch so I wasn't having any of it and was more than prepared to see him walk if he tried to pick holes in the one I had. 

Thank you all for the replies, you've honestly made me look at things differently. And apologies if I seem like a negative Nancy with this. You're all right though, especially about mindset, and about the M6 links which I had never thought of. As it stands, sold the L200 to Welshpool yesterday with not a penny off the asking price.

@stockedup! we used to use AT in the past (PAYG), but then started using ebay and they were kind of balanced, and then cars were selling well off ebay, so we cut out AT altogether. But we're in slightly higher (car) price brackets now, so maybe it's time to look at AT again.

@XFS you're right about the effort. I find most timewasters are those who live close by. Window shoppers/"Have another one to look at"/etc. No skin off their nose to pop 15 mins down the road. Whereas of course people coming from far away are almost guaranteed sales.

Will absolutely work this to my advantage, as I'm only 7-10 mins from 3 different M6 Junctions.

Thank you all again!

A phone call from a local punter “wanting a look” fills me with despair :lol: