Sign in to follow this  
Arfur Dealy

If only I had a crystal ball.........

Don’t worry, if he’s anything like the emailers wanting valuations from me he’ll want retail for his ‘minter’ - usually no history, bald tyres, shagged brakes, 2 weeks MOT instead of the 10 months he claimed + an extra 40,000 miles.

• Like 2

I'm gonna use that line next time we get an idiot call or email like that and we do get plenty. Hahaha crystal ball that's fukin great that is arfur:lol:

25 minutes ago, BHM said:

Don’t worry, if he’s anything like the emailers wanting valuations from me he’ll want retail for his ‘minter’ - usually no history, bald tyres, shagged brakes, 2 weeks MOT instead of the 10 months he claimed + an extra 40,000 miles.

It’s not just these.We are set up to buy stuff at the door.Last week having bid people on their description,three people in 2 days turned up with cars on the hit list and claimed to know nothing about it.

I’ve been in talks with my local Landlord (pub) about me buying his car.  It’s taken weeks to get him to talk openly (I suspect as last finance payment expired in April and now he can do something).

Anyway, I haven’t seen it because I didn’t show up last week and he didn’t bring it the other weeks. 

All I knew was it is a Freelander and the reg. HPI as usual, it’s an S with almost 100k manual on an 08 plate. I have £3600 in mind (WBAC £3100).

I say what do you want, to which I fell over at £6,500 (top book he says) but 8 can have it for £5,500.

I am bored of valuing PX’s - expecting retail for theirs and trade for mine.

Saab 9-3 B204 turbo
11months mot
Full history etc
Clean tidy car!
V reg

After finally extracting some more info from the guy, offered him a generous £400 (CAP Clean  £190) he was mightily insulted. He was giving me the oppertunity to buy a future classic.

A quick browse on Facebook Marketplace, I find the advert the guy bought it from. He's had the car only a couple of weeks, bodywork is battered. The price he paid for this future classic a couple of weeks ago.....

£440 ono :lol:

Ha - brilliant.  I'd confront him with that info for a laugh.

It's funny- the nutters come out in force when it's quieter times. I think it's actually that you just pay little attention to them when you're flying.

3 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

It's funny- the nutters come out in force when it's quieter times. I think it's actually that you just pay little attention to them when you're flying.

Precisely that. When it’s busy, the proper buyers get all the attention. When it’s quiet, you convince yourself the messers are buyers and can be talked into buying something they have zero intention of buying. 

• Like 2

Just now, NOACROSS said:

We did - awaiting reply. He was replying within 15 mins to all messages, but now....

Thing is, he sent 3 messages (was asked to call, suprise suprise, never called as he works 15 hours a day - poor thing) asking about a part ex, when it specifically says in the advert - No Part Ex as its a SOR car.

Had a 170k 55 plate Saab 9-5 Estate, guy wanted £900 for it. 220k 55 Plate Honda CR-V, guy wanted £1000. 180k 02 Golf TDi, guy wanted £800. A monstrosity of a modified Citroen C4 coupe, 06, wants £1,690

Dreamers. We're always pretty generous when it comes to PX prices as well so its even more of a suprise when people are so insulted

Had a nissan primera we took in part ex advertised for £250 it had a couple of months mot bodywork was rough the phone fell off the hook with all the usual crap whats your last price:angry:eventually some idiot gave us £200 plus a peugeot 206 1.4hdi £30 tax model which had 2 weeks mot on it:D that has gone to our mot tester who needed a cheap run around £200

38 minutes ago, Tony911 said:

Had a nissan primera we took in part ex advertised for £250 it had a couple of months mot bodywork was rough the phone fell off the hook with all the usual crap whats your last price:angry:eventually some idiot gave us £200 plus a peugeot 206 1.4hdi £30 tax model which had 2 weeks mot on it:D that has gone to our mot tester who needed a cheap run around £200

The only car we've ever been given was a W reg Daewoo Matiz.

We were planning just to use it as a storage shed, but the car was that shit that it wasn't even suitable for that :wacko:

Scrapped it for £20 :lol: Quids in!

6 minutes ago, D&M said:

The only car we've ever been given was a W reg Daewoo Matiz.

We were planning just to use it as a storage shed, but the car was that shit that it wasn't even suitable for that :wacko:

Scrapped it for £20 :lol: Quids in!

me meeeeeeeeeeee

i once had a reliant robin taken in with a failed head gasket ,i rang all the breakers non of them wanted it even though i told them there was no rust in the door bottoms:lol:  ended up setting fire to it to get rid,bad move the town nearly got shut down for the black smoke and we had to say it was arson after 5 tenders had left and sgt plod wanted details:lol:

Best px we ever had was 

Guy was worried about the 200 mile journey on the train to collect his new car from  us . I said you mentioned your scrapping your old car and will it make the journey ? yes he said but its scrap , NO Prob i said i would scrap it from here for you . Long story short he arrives and I didn't even look at his car till after he had gone . 

Picanto 6 yrs old 28,000 miles with history he had it from new , it was so filthy he didnt see it was unmarked under the muck , Sold it retail and its still around today . 

Had a stupid one this week though .

Guy comes in for a daughter car , her Yaris is getting on , we have the usual fight over values and finish up at £300 for it 04 70k same family from new . Arranged deposit £300 and collection on Monday , this morning she had accident in the yaris ,  its written off , Can we still collect the new car on Monday with the same agreement of £4800 balance he said , NO your balance just moved to £5,100 because the Yaris will go to the scrap yard . He still doesn't get it . Weird times were in :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

me meeeeeeeeeeee

i once had a reliant robin taken in with a failed head gasket ,i rang all the breakers non of them wanted it even though i told them there was no rust in the door bottoms:lol:  ended up setting fire to it to get rid,bad move the town nearly got shut down for the black smoke and we had to say it was arson after 5 tenders had left and sgt plod wanted details:lol:

That was a mistake,it was probably worth a grand.If it was a Regal maybe more.last year I was talking to a guy from I think the Worcester area who cobbles them together and gets up to 10 grand for them !

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

That was a mistake,it was probably worth a grand.If it was a Regal maybe more.last year I was talking to a guy from I think the Worcester area who cobbles them together and gets up to 10 grand for them !

it wa3 31 years ago i think you could only get £495 for them with a new ticket

they had sleeves in the pistons and the bloke that did the head gasket had pulled the head off and lifted a sleeve i guess

are you thinking the regal 21 with 21 extras but still only 3 wheels:lol:

now 41 years ago i remember borrowing one to get home in the snow as the buses couldn't get through anyway i couldnt get to my flat because the front wheel would only follow the tracks made by previous cars,think i got home at 2 in the morning via london or somewhere:D

2 minutes ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

it wa3 31 years ago i think you could only get £495 for them with a new ticket

they had sleeves in the pistons and the bloke that did the head gasket had pulled the head off and lifted a sleeve i guess

are you thinking the regal 21 with 21 extras but still only 3 wheels:lol:

now 41 years ago i remember borrowing one to get home in the snow as the buses couldn't get through anyway i couldnt get to my flat because the front wheel would only follow the tracks made by previous cars,think i got home at 2 in the morning via london or somewhere:D

You did well to get home at all.I do know about these as I used to sell them when I was 16 ! ( Regals that is ) Crap cars of course but I loved them because the punters also loved them.( like queaue all night for them ).I can still remember the last one I bought in about 89,it was at the local auction with my maiden bid of £150.I got laughed at in the ring.....I traded it without any bother,some guy from The Reliant Owners club and based in Southampton drove 300 miles with a trailer to buy it for about £400.

I still think you got it wrong !