Sign in to follow this  
Lazz

Unit Size

Just like to introduce my self and will give you a little back ground on my dilemma and i will apologise for my bad grammar and been unable to spell for toffee hence the reason i reckon i ended up in the motor trade.

I worked in the motor trade for approx 25 years, main dealers for approx 15 years myself for approx 10 years trading from home etc for myself retailing a bit and trading a bit not making a fortune but a living and doing it at my pace and this is where the problem has begun, moved house approx 3 years ago you know the story better house nicer area and all that, got all the work out the way which took about a year and though well i will pick up where i left of and carry on doing a few from home, decent size drive, double garage and all that, can fit comfortably say 8 cars on my drive and thats when the letters from the council start turning up, not sure if any of you have been there but you know you start of by ignoring them then you get a few more, then the visits start and the bottom line is i am informed that if i do not stop the prosecution will start and i am informed i don't have a cat in hells chance of getting planing permission to operate this type of business from home where i live. I am obviously fairly certain some jobsworth of a neighbour has shopped me to the council, you know the sort of person thats all smiles to your face and is quite happy to stab you in the back.

I could understand my neighbours being upset if the front of my house looked like a scrap yard but i sub-contract all the work out and none of it takes place on my drive, no price boards etc. You know the scenario view by appointment only, i was only selling 1 or 2 a week on a good week so not many visitors virtually everyone that came brought as everything was prepped and ready to go.

I am sure they would of properly tried to dob me into the tax man etc but seeing as though i operate legitimately and pay all my dues and demands there is not a lot they can do there.I have operated from home because i have tried to keep my ex's as low as possible as everybody wants to put their hands in your pockets and help themselves so if it goes quite or i have decided to go on holiday for a few weeks its not a big deal.

Whats the smallest size unit do you think you can get away with as i like working on my own and don't want to employ anyone as i prefer just using sub contractors for the repair work, valeting etc.

I have generally sold cars ranging from £1500 unto approx £6000 and i have been looking around where i live and there and there does not seem much available within an ok commuting distance. The few units that have come up are at the lower end price wise are approx £14k a year for approx 100 share metres which i am not convinced are big enough to make it pay.

Just after your views really ideally from someone whose been there?

I will say this is my first post and i have been reading the articles for a while and have laughed my socks of about some of the postings and antics i am sure being in the motor trade for and length of time warps your sense of humour.

Sorry for the ramble but i have now got that of my chest and did n't want to jump straight to how big a unit to make it worthwhile for the extra expenses without giving you a little bit of background to how i have ended up where i am.

I don't think they can stop you, you haven't changed the primary use of your home, I take it you actually live their, this has come up before !!

My advice re unit is get the biggest you can afford comfortably, there is never enough room lol ;)

HTH,

@Arfur Dealy

Might be able to offer advice, think he's commented on this problem before, thankfully where I live and work we don't have all that shit !!

Edited by Dave2302

1 hour ago, Lazz said:

Just like to introduce my self and will give you a little back ground on my dilemma and i will apologise for my bad grammar and been unable to spell for toffee hence the reason i reckon i ended up in the motor trade.

I worked in the motor trade for approx 25 years, main dealers for approx 15 years myself for approx 10 years trading from home etc for myself retailing a bit and trading a bit not making a fortune but a living and doing it at my pace and this is where the problem has begun, moved house approx 3 years ago you know the story better house nicer area and all that, got all the work out the way which took about a year and though well i will pick up where i left of and carry on doing a few from home, decent size drive, double garage and all that, can fit comfortably say 8 cars on my drive and thats when the letters from the council start turning up, not sure if any of you have been there but you know you start of by ignoring them then you get a few more, then the visits start and the bottom line is i am informed that if i do not stop the prosecution will start and i am informed i don't have a cat in hells chance of getting planing permission to operate this type of business from home where i live. I am obviously fairly certain some jobsworth of a neighbour has shopped me to the council, you know the sort of person thats all smiles to your face and is quite happy to stab you in the back.

I could understand my neighbours being upset if the front of my house looked like a scrap yard but i sub-contract all the work out and none of it takes place on my drive, no price boards etc. You know the scenario view by appointment only, i was only selling 1 or 2 a week on a good week so not many visitors virtually everyone that came brought as everything was prepped and ready to go.

I am sure they would of properly tried to dob me into the tax man etc but seeing as though i operate legitimately and pay all my dues and demands there is not a lot they can do there.I have operated from home because i have tried to keep my ex's as low as possible as everybody wants to put their hands in your pockets and help themselves so if it goes quite or i have decided to go on holiday for a few weeks its not a big deal.

Whats the smallest size unit do you think you can get away with as i like working on my own and don't want to employ anyone as i prefer just using sub contractors for the repair work, valeting etc.

I have generally sold cars ranging from £1500 unto approx £6000 and i have been looking around where i live and there and there does not seem much available within an ok commuting distance. The few units that have come up are at the lower end price wise are approx £14k a year for approx 100 share metres which i am not convinced are big enough to make it pay.

Just after your views really ideally from someone whose been there?

I will say this is my first post and i have been reading the articles for a while and have laughed my socks of about some of the postings and antics i am sure being in the motor trade for and length of time warps your sense of humour.

Sorry for the ramble but i have now got that of my chest and did n't want to jump straight to how big a unit to make it worthwhile for the extra expenses without giving you a little bit of background to how i have ended up where i am.

Ring the council and and be very polite tell them the primary use of the property hasn't changed, it is a family home and you have every right to start a small business, in fact the Goverment encourage it. You are not advertising the cars on the street with for sale signs and there isn't any bunting....

Can anyone remember the recent post with the guy and the Councillor, there was also the previous post where BHM showed links to the .gov website encouraging small home business's. ?????

I cannae remember them either now Simon, but perhaps @BHM will be along and he may remember ;)

this thread has a lot of advice, noisy neighbours / councils responding.. five pages but worth a read! Maybe contact the OP for a little more detailed advice out of the public domain!

Good luck with your unit, as said above.. as much as you can afford.. you will always use it..!  Here is that link Trading from home G'luck

If you have been happy working from home then I wouldnt be jumping into a unit and extra exs unless forced to do so. You should try and resist the council in the first instance. Try searching your post code on google maps, you'll be amazed how many business can show up around you that are at residential addresses. Show this to the council plebs. It may help a bit. Good luck

Hi Lazz

The first thing I would do is make a Freedom of Information Request to the council to try and find out who has objected.I agree with the above and please keep us informed and good luck.

2 hours ago, Area 51 said:

this thread has a lot of advice, noisy neighbours / councils responding.. five pages but worth a read! Maybe contact the OP for a little more detailed advice out of the public domain!

Good luck with your unit, as said above.. as much as you can afford.. you will always use it..!  Here is that link Trading from home G'luck

Well done...  ;)

Lazz, you don't need a unit, don't be scared off. The council and your neighbours need educating. You have every right to do what you are doing, threaten to make a formal complain about unfair harassment you are receiving. 

51 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Hi Lazz

The first thing I would do is make a Freedom of Information Request to the council to try and find out who has objected.I agree with the above and please keep us informed and good luck.

Very intrigued.... How would that work with a neighbor complaint in DPA terms, does the council have to name and shame TV ?? 

Edited by Arfur Dealy

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Well done...  ;)

Lazz, you don't need a unit, don't be scared off. The council and your neighbours need educating. You have every right to do what you are doing, threaten to make a formal complain about unfair harassment you are receiving. 

Very intrigued.... How would that work with a neighbor complaint in DPA terms, does the council have to name and shame TV ?? 

I don’t know.It was a while ago when I made a planning application and the council allowed me to view the objections under Freedom of Information.It was helpfull as they turned out to be fraudulent.Things may have changed.

2 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I don’t know.It was a while ago when I made a planning application and the council allowed me to view the objections under Freedom of Information.It was helpfull as they turned out to be fraudulent.Things may have changed.

Ahh, I understand ;)

Thanks for the replys, I never thought about the freedom of information request, that's going in on Monday, I hope that gives me the names of the people who have informed on me.

i can see this becoming interesting, I have not had any proper confrontion for a while.

on another note what type of class of use does a unit need to be to sell cars from, the stuff I have seen is either warehouse or light industrial, what would that need changing to.

i can see another battle looming?

Edited by Lazz

9 minutes ago, Lazz said:

Thanks for the replys, I never thought about the freedom of information request, that's going in on Monday, I hope that gives me the names of the people who have informed on me.

i can see this becoming interesting, I have not had any proper confrontion for a while.

on another note what type of class of use does a unit need to be to sell cars from, the stuff I have seen is either warehouse or light industrial, what would that need changing to.

i can see another battle looming?

If you find a unit on a trading estate ( especially a council one) sometimes you may find automotive related and other businesses are not allowed.However do not be put off, if you do some detective work by asking other businesses on the estate,they can usually recall some motor trade business user in the past and there will often be another disallowed business already operating.

I had this a few years ago. Quiet, local industrial estate- sub let an area and ran foul of the idiot jobsworth council, as it wasn’t zoned for car sales, and they made it clear they would not allow it. 

I tried to go just for storage only. To no avail. Was totally ridiculous,and now the space remains empty two years later. 

7 minutes ago, trade vet said:

If you find a unit on a trading estate ( especially a council one) sometimes you may find automotive related and other businesses are not allowed.However do not be put off, if you do some detective work by asking other businesses on the estate,they can usually recall some motor trade business user in the past and there will often be another disallowed business already operating.

14 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

This is new to me completely... did you link this post to me Dave with an @ sign

Yes Simon I type @Arf and up pops a box with your name and avatar, click that box and in goes the link .............

@Arfur Dealy 

Try mine by typing @Dav and you'll see me and some other Dave's ;)

Edited by Dave2302

Yep That worked I got the "Oi You !!"  message straight away ;) 

Same experience with council owned units. Found a couple in Notts that would have fit the bill before I moved here, but flat out rejected for motor trade use. Wouldn't even engage in conversation...

This was 4 years ago...one still empty and one got let about a year ago!

Same experience in Kent over 20 years ago when we wanted to move from a 1000 sq ft leased unit to much bigger, so we bought a derelict freehold unit with some ground, good steel frame, and we totally  refurbed it with all new insulated cladding, new roller shutters, new wiring, lighting, carseys, plus new lifts, etc etc ;)

Edited by Dave2302

18 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

@Dave2302 works

So does @Mark101 :lol:

I suppose me being a mod on another forum helps, I know how all the little bitties work ;)

I still don't know how to get my LIKE button back tho :(

Your Notifications will say xxxxxx "Mentioned" instead of "Quoted" etc

You might have both now Mark :D ........... Look in your "bell" at the top right of CDM Page ;)

Edited by Dave2302

10 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

So does @Mark101 :lol:

I suppose me being a mod on another forum helps, I know how all the little bitties work ;)

I still don't know how to get my LIKE button back tho :(

Your Notifications will say xxxxxx "Mentioned" instead of "Quoted" etc

You might have both now Mark :D ........... Look in your "bell" at the top right of CDM Page ;)

Dave quoted you.............