Sign in to follow this  
umesh

Diagnositic Equipment

Just looking at Snap On - Zeus Workstation - Any thoughts ? anything better or better value for money?

Thanks

1 hour ago, umesh said:

Just looking at Snap On - Zeus Workstation - Any thoughts ? anything better or better value for money?

Thanks

You've opened a can of worms now Umesh - come on Dave 1234567891011121314151617181920 - let him have it :lol:

I looked at that, then I spent £600 updating my 4 year old Snap On Solus Ultra Pro ;)

I repair Electronics at a very advanced level, and I wouldn't use most of it ;)

It will never be as good as Dealer Level.

Personally if you are after a really good top end Machine go for the top of the range Autel Machine, it's around £1900 and IRL will do far more than the Snap On will, which costs many times more ;) The Snap On has a lot of bells and whistles which you don't need, and the Help Line is a waste of space if you have google !!

Finally, Snap On will wan't you to pay them so much a month DD as a subscription for s/w updates............ Yeah, fuck that for a game of soldiers ............

Far better ways to spend that sort of dosh ................... Bosch KTS, Autologic etc etc, but I wouldn't ;)

Seriously, look at the top end Autel Kit , very good ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autel-Maxisys-908Pro-J2534-F-BMW-ECU-Programming-Car-Full-System-Diagnostic-Tool/362557934097?_trkparms=aid%3D333200%26algo%3DCOMP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D56580%26meid%3D92ae362b8a5a45ad884c61d1646fa0a4%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D253991096667%26itm%3D362557934097&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

HTH

Edited by Dave2302

8 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

I looked at that, then I spent £600 updating my 4 year old Snap On Solus Ultra Pro ;)

I repair Electronics at a very advanced level, and I wouldn't use most of it ;)

It will never be as good as Dealer Level.

Personally if you are after a really good top end Machine go for the top of the range Autel Machine, it's around £1900 and IRL will do far more than the Snap On will, which costs many times more ;) The Snap On has a lot of bells and whistles which you don't need, and the Help Line is a waste of space if you have google !!

Finally, Snap On will wan't you to pay them so much a month DD as a subscription for s/w updates............ Yeah, fuck that for a game of soldiers ............

Far better ways to spend that sort of dosh ................... Bosch KTS, Autologic etc etc, but I wouldn't ;)

Seriously, look at the top end Autel Kit , very good ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autel-Maxisys-908Pro-J2534-F-BMW-ECU-Programming-Car-Full-System-Diagnostic-Tool/362557934097?_trkparms=aid%3D333200%26algo%3DCOMP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D56580%26meid%3D92ae362b8a5a45ad884c61d1646fa0a4%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D253991096667%26itm%3D362557934097&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

HTH

Thanks Dave, it's a mine field and personally as I don't use it the workshop guys use it I'm never sure what's out there or what's the best for the job! The Snap -On looks awesome and a great story behind it all but already finding out about the DD for 'software updates' etc !! I'll check out the link and the model you recommend. Appreciate your time and knowledge.

1 minute ago, umesh said:

Thanks Dave, it's a mine field and personally as I don't use it the workshop guys use it I'm never sure what's out there or what's the best for the job! The Snap -On looks awesome and a great story behind it all but already finding out about the DD for 'software updates' etc !! I'll check out the link and the model you recommend. Appreciate your time and knowledge.

B)

I'd argue that if your workshop guys aren't directing you in what you need to buy, the chances are they wouldn't make any more use of these £2k scanners over £200 jobbies

Down to the workshop guys Umesh and you would need someone very, very good to get the best out of that bit of kit which is a serious investment.

19 minutes ago, twerp said:

I'd argue that if your workshop guys aren't directing you in what you need to buy, the chances are they wouldn't make any more use of these £2k scanners over £200 jobbies

8 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Down to the workshop guys Umesh and you would need someone very, very good to get the best out of that bit of kit which is a serious investment.

They're loving the Snap On and that's what they are saying I should be going for , but it's all too easy for them to say 'that's the one' but they get blinkered and not fully aware of anything else which is on the market hence asking on here from those that have more knowledge of what is on offer, which may be better or less expensive or better value without getting ripped off. 

I use Autel MS906 Great bit of kit and does a lot for the money. 

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

I use Autel MS906 Great bit of kit and does a lot for the money. 

There you go another vote for Autel, they are the best Generic at the moment for under 2k, have been for a year or 2 now ;)

What are your Workshop using at the moment Umesh ?

Do you do all makes or just stick to say Germans, or French, etc etc all things that need weighing up, if you just do German for example I'd advise an up to date Autel with scope function, then get clone SDS, and VAG Com, INPA ISTA is a bit obsolete now except for programming F's, but I'm told the new Autel will do that ;)

You see how muddy the waters are, trouble is no one machine does every make and every fault, programming etc etc

I can see the appeal of the Snap On if you aren't the guy footing the bill ;)

Trouble is like all other Snap On Diagnostic's it will be obsolete in a few years when the new model comes out !!

6 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

There you go another vote for Autel, they are the best Generic at the moment for under 2k, have been for a year or 2 now ;)

What are your Workshop using at the moment Umesh ?

Do you do all makes or just stick to say Germans, or French, etc etc all things that need weighing up, if you just do German for example I'd advise an up to date Autel with scope function, then get clone SDS, and VAG Com, INPA ISTA is a bit obsolete now except for programming F's, but I'm told the new Autel will do that ;)

You see how muddy the waters are, trouble is no one machine does every make and every fault, programming etc etc

I can see the appeal of the Snap On if you aren't the guy footing the bill ;)

Trouble is like all other Snap On Diagnostic's it will be obsolete in a few years when the new model comes out !!

We did have the Autoligic ( Old )  but last 12 months one of the lad's has his own Snap On which he's been using because he is more familar with it.

Mainly German stuff, The two snap on one's I'm looking at are circa £7 & 9K but at circa £2k Autel that looks increadible value @Dave2302 and a vote from @Tom too! 

The MS906 Autel is £800, but I will sell you one for £2k ;)

5 hours ago, umesh said:

Thanks

We have the Snap On Solus Pro and the top end  Autel + a MAC Version plus VAG Com  , they all do different jobs to varying degrees of ease and standard Umesh . 

Its always best to show the guys in the workshop what you have in mind , then get one or the other  loaned to you and get the guys to try them out ,

Hi Umesh,we have the Autel machine that Dave mentioned and rate it very highly,good back up from UK head office(I have been told its far east origin).We have a an unbeleivabley good diagnostic guy very near us with a lot of dealer level kit and he also has the same Autel unit altho' the wireless/remote version ,and he speaks very highly witch is why we decided on ours.

My workshop has just procured the top Autel wireless machine and I have the small handheld version.

They are making traction - remember how cheap Teng Tools were 15-20 years ago and now look...............

I've always had Snap On over the years, still have my old MT2500 Scanner, which has every possible Key and Pod and lead kit, including USA Cars and Asian Cars plus an All makes Pod (basically Hdd).

Then I upgraded to the Solus Ultra Pro for Generic. After that I got delphi, mainly for Saab and Iveco which Snap On wouldn't do, and last year I looked at new Snap On, compared it to the Autel and now my latest generic is the top end Autel, hell that will even do some stuff like recoding a Merc PSE Pump etc etc .................

IMHO Snap On is good but like all Snap On, it's way overpriced, especially as its made in Chinesia these days ;)

The Autel is my weapon of choice these days ;)

Mark101 's view above is very well put in few words ;)

Edited by Dave2302

We have a snap on solus 2018 model, works well but you will never use half of the features.. overpriced and we have it on tick with about £1500 owing.

Hi Umesh

We have an array of diagnostic equipment and we still fall short sometimes in good data and information from the bloody things.

I can vouch for Launch, we have an old GDS that is still going strong and is our "go to" over and above the KTS. I have a friend that has the latest launch and he says its very good too.

However it depends upon what you do the most of, if there are other bits that can be run off a laptop and are amazing for little money.

Vag - Com

Forscan

Op-Com

Id not put all of my eggs in the one basket, as there isn't one tool that does it all.

Do you sell more of one make? Or struggle with one particular make?

1 hour ago, Stalker said:

Hi Umesh

We have an array of diagnostic equipment and we still fall short sometimes in good data and information from the bloody things.

I can vouch for Launch, we have an old GDS that is still going strong and is our "go to" over and above the KTS. I have a friend that has the latest launch and he says its very good too.

However it depends upon what you do the most of, if there are other bits that can be run off a laptop and are amazing for little money.

Vag - Com

Forscan

Op-Com

Id not put all of my eggs in the one basket, as there isn't one tool that does it all.

Exactly this /\ /\ /\ 

The nice thing about the high end Autel is it will program stuff like version coding a PSE Pump on a Merc, coding an ABS pump on VAG shite, etc etc ;)

To add to Stalkers list ............

Jag / Land Rover , Mercedes SDS , Peugeot Citroen Lexia , Renault Can Clip , and more ................

I do have BMW INPA ISTA , but have never yet used it in anger, Snap On is very good with these since update, and the INPA ISTA is a temperamental twunt of a thing that I've never fully gotten my head around cos I haven't spent enough time with it on enough Beemers (and I'm using a decent Mux, not the K & D line Chinesium lead shit) ;) 

Edited by Dave2302

On 3/20/2019 at 10:45 AM, Stalker said:

Hi Umesh

Vag - Com

Forscan

Op-Com

Mainly German stuff, but need it for all general stuff in the workshop, looks like everyone is talking me into Autel, which I'd never come across before this thread! [ shows how little I know about workshop equipment }

Where's th ebest plave ro buy Autel equip [ Hate eBay :)] 

Thanks everyone, this is great information you've all given me. 
PS

Looking for a Technician / MOT Tester for the workhop if anyone knows anyone good looking for a job in stoke on Trent, if any of you know anyone in this part of the world!  

1 hour ago, umesh said:

Looking for a Technician / MOT Tester for the workhop if anyone knows anyone good looking for a job in stoke on Trent, if any of you know anyone in this part of the world!  

Did the last one resign when you told him he's not having the Snap On :lol:

6 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Did the last one resign when you told him he's not having the Snap On :lol:

LOL, you beat me to it ;)

2 hours ago, umesh said:

More chance of finding elvis presley  landing a UFO on the loch ness monster than finding someone good looking in Stoke duck :lol:

1 hour ago, Rory RSC said:

More chance of finding elvis presley  landing a UFO on the loch ness monster than finding someone good looking in Stoke duck :lol:

@Rory RSC must remember to use correct ' Punctuation' !! :) !