Dealer

Ten Year Old Vehicle Main Dealer Health Check

I've no doubt many of you hardened traders here have come across this scenario, customer buys car and takes it to the main dealer for a "free" health check.

Please see below the list of alleged faults which the customer has now come back with plus the usual threats of court and ts blah blah blah, car had mot carried out before sale and has come back approx 7 weeks after purchase with this information.

Immediate attention

Cost £166.34
O/S Front Tyre Outer: 3.0mm Middle: 3.0mm Inner: 2.0mm Current: Continental 235/60/18 103 V New: Continental 235/60/18 103 V
Cost £60.00
Wheel Alignment Recommend full 4 wheel alignment.
Cost £104.16
Glass/Mirrors/Door Locks offside front door strap broken
Cost £650.40
Water/Oil/Fluid Leaks Radiator leaking
Cost £601.20
Power Steering Fluid Power steering pump leaking
Cost £15.48
Mandatory Lights Rear (external) nearside rear upper/inner sidelight bulb blown
Cost £285.60
Front Suspension play in offside inner steering rack arm
Cost £251.28
Front Suspension O/S/F lower arm bushes worn N/S/F lower arm bushes worn
Cost £89.52
Miscellaneous front gearbox stabilizer deteriorated

Attention in the near future

Cost £1,060.80
Miscellaneous damage to front of vehicle including air con condenser & power steering cooler

I let you guys comment further rather then argue my case from the start if that's ok.

v4.jpg

v.jpg

v2.jpg

v5.jpg

v1.jpg

v3.jpg

And their findings were?

Makes me laugh how a tyre that has 3mm 3mm and 2mm across it is an immediate danger as is the 4 wheel alignment.

22 minutes ago, Tony911 said:

What car is it?

One that’s half-fucked :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

you havent said ...........well you were such a nice man when we dealt with you.........

thats what normally happens when its had a dealer or halfords safety check

this is why its always best to do a full pdi a new mot and talk to the customer in a language they understand prior to reminding them what a bargain it is at bla bla bla

i forgot to add the pdi is for you to note things like these and see if you can better them before it goes off

i had a woman last week moaning about tyre depths of 6mm 6mm 8 mm 8mm she reconned they were nearly ready for change,my pdi i read out in front of her proved different,did i sell her a car ? no,i called her vinegar t*ts when she had gone

Edited by boring dave

What did the customer pay ? 

What mileage has that car done ? 

What car is it ? 

He's expecting over 3k in fixes :ph34r:

Took him 7 weeks to wear it out :(too

150k, 2009 xc90, 5500, car ran like a rolex for the price of a timex!

No fluids noted as leaking at time of sale, mot didn't pick up on the worn bushes etc.

Ive had one of these in my time. Thankfully my one went away after I explained that nothing was dangerous and the new MOT the car had on it when I sold it demonstrated that. If he is expecting you to put it right, explain that you had done an MOT on it before he had it, that the car is safe as per that standard, but if he really isnt happy and wants you to buy it back, you will. That will either result in him disappearing as he likes the car too much or disappearing because youve bought the car back. Either way, thats the end result I would want.

• Like 1

i'm happy to look at the points raised by volvo but its a ten year old car with 150k ffs, it won't go away but neither will i renew parts that are simply worn, i mean the seats are worn, the steering wheel is worn just as the components underneath such as bushes which are exposed to the elements.

4 minutes ago, MattR said:

Ive had one of these in my time. Thankfully my one went away after I explained that nothing was dangerous and the new MOT the car had on it when I sold it demonstrated that. If he is expecting you to put it right, explain that you had done an MOT on it before he had it, that the car is safe as per that standard, but if he really isnt happy and wants you to buy it back, you will. That will either result in him disappearing as he likes the car too much or disappearing because youve bought the car back. Either way, thats the end result I would want.

Bang on

Edited by Tony911

Sounds like buyers remorse , just found out it wont be worth above £1,500 next year with another 15k on the clock and the wifes threatening to stop his allowance :wacko:

Plus he may have to replace some parts after 6 times round the planet and 10 yrs . :wacko:

Shopping outside his budget I reckon . Plus the MAIN dealers just love milk this type of situation :ph34r:on the chance you may send them a cheque for £3,000 to get it all done . .

Same as MttR, car was MOT'd so was roadworthy at sale. Clearly car does show signs of wear and tear due to its age and mileage - its what cars do.

Its all about expectation - would the garage who inspected it like to find him a similar car for the same price with no items showing wear? - I suspect they would advise him to spend more money on something newer/lower mileage........

No point in falling out, tell him that's what you get of money he paid, throw him a few quid as a gesture of goodwill to assist in getting the car to the standard that he is comfortable with, however if he doesn't want the car deduct £500 or so for use and take it back. For sure if you think he's going to be difficult take it back, its not worth the hassle...

2 hours ago, Willoughby said:

Same as MttR, car was MOT'd so was roadworthy at sale. Clearly car does show signs of wear and tear due to its age and mileage - its what cars do.

Its all about expectation - would the garage who inspected it like to find him a similar car for the same price with no items showing wear? - I suspect they would advise him to spend more money on something newer/lower mileage........

No point in falling out, tell him that's what you get of money he paid, throw him a few quid as a gesture of goodwill to assist in getting the car to the standard that he is comfortable with, however if he doesn't want the car deduct £500 or so for use and take it back. For sure if you think he's going to be difficult take it back, its not worth the hassle...

Like, but test the water with the customer first. Explain to him he needs to be a realist......... Stealers are stealers, old used monster mileage cars are old used monster mileage cars and show all the associated wear n tear. You don't get gold for the price of silver Mr C and you shouldn't expect it. 

Fluid leaks may be a sticking point concerning faults present at sale

18 minutes ago, twerp said:

Fluid leaks may be a sticking point concerning faults present at sale

Seen plenty of "oil leak but not excessive" on the advisories list over the years. 

3 hours ago, Dealer said:

150k, 2009 xc90, 5500, car ran like a rolex for the price of a timex!

No fluids noted as leaking at time of sale, mot didn't pick up on the worn bushes etc.

Not wishing to s**t on your post but i'm a firm believer that what you stock determines what kind of people you attract. 150K 'I can't afford better' complicated SUV = hassle. I'm not saying it's a fault with the car but more the punter. 

I'm not deliberately trying to be a c**t btw, celebrated my birthday today with two refunds and three warranty claims, we all get 'em

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

Not wishing to s**t on your post but i'm a firm believer that what you stock determines what kind of people you attract. 150K 'I can't afford better' complicated SUV = hassle. I'm not saying it's a fault with the car but more the punter. 

I'm not deliberately trying to be a c**t btw, celebrated my birthday today with two refunds and three warranty claims, we all get 'em

I agree to a point but it was a decent price to buy hence me taking a punt on it. Drives fine in fairness, 1 owner car with all the history plus belt change etc. You ar3 right though as one with half the miles is probably 3 grand more but the types of people these are don't want to spend that of course. 

Oh and happy birthday! 

Edited by Dealer

4 minutes ago, Dealer said:

I agree to a point but it was a decent price to buy hence me taking a punt on it. Drives fine in fairness, 1 owner car with all the history plus belt change etc. You ar3 right though as one with half the miles is probably 3 grand more but the types of people these are don't want to spend that of course. 

Oh and happy birthday! 

Cheers!

And I really wasn't being mean. Fault with the punter NOT with the car. 

I've got broad enough shoulders even if you were being mean Grant. If I've bought it and dropped a bollock then the buck stops with me. It's a fine line sometimes on what you take a punt on and what you shouldn't......... I saw the pound signs and perhaps didn't think beyond that (still a decent enough car though in fairness to it). 

Edited by Dealer

Tell him that most of the above is considered fair wear and tear on the 150K mile 10 year old SUV and it explains the depreciation that these “luxobarges” suffer from and from which the customer benefitted greatly by buying the car for a tenth of it’s price new! 

• Like 1

235/60/18 103 V New: Continental 235/60/18 103 V
Cost £60.00
Wheel Alignment Recommend full 4 wheel alignment.
Cost £104.16
Glass/Mirrors/Door Locks offside front door strap broken
Cost £650.40
Water/Oil/Fluid Leaks Radiator leaking
Cost £601.20
Power Steering Fluid Power steering pump leaking
Cost £15.48
Mandatory Lights Rear (external) nearside rear upper/inner sidelight bulb blown
Cost £285.60
Front Suspension play in offside inner steering rack arm
Cost £251.28
Front Suspension O/S/F lower arm bushes worn N/S/F lower arm bushes worn
Cost £89.52
Miscellaneous front gearbox stabilizer deteriorated
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
get the name of the person who did this check, ask for him to ring you with about impending court case, advise him that you will ask the court for him to appear to substantiate this claim, advise him his best course of action is for the company he works for that the safety check picked out items that were consistent with the cars age and mileage, remind him the car has recently passed a mot and ask what his qualifications are, if "reception" wont put you through, tell them you are coming down with recording equipment unless they contact you in 24 hours with a explanation as to why, as a example they want £600+ for a power steering pump that is merely damp not leaking after 150k+ miles, you want the company to say that this check had picked out items consistent with the age and mileage of the vehicle .
  • Like 1