Sign in to follow this  
TangoVictor32

Jaguar XJ SE worth / valuation

Good evening guys,

I made a brief intro in another MID topic not long ago.

An ex Traffic Inspector after 30 years I retired.

Me and few other bobbies set up a small pitch 5 years ago with a portacabin. 

I've had an enquiry from a punter with a 2004 Jaguar XJ SE 3l petrol automatic in blue with cream leathers. 175k yep with FSH its in good nick.

He wants to part ex with a Jag XF.

But am struggling to value his car. There's not many on Autotrooper and BCA dont show any For this coming week.

How much can I realistically sell it for? And isit one of those that just sits around for donkey years or is sought after? Never really looked at one before let alone dealt.

Cheers in advance

If it is a sharp one with good history.I would say the very worst price you would get back for it is a grand.It is a lot of machinery,a 70k one would probably do 6 grand.If you can get it in to try and sell for £2500,I would have a go.There are plenty of nostalgic XJ people about.Good Luck.

It would do a 1000 -1200 at the block give or take a 100, drive it first - the drive train is not as strong on the 3.0 - can have gearbox issues same as before on s-types with higher miles.

Use that to your advantage, mention £xxx to fix and offer him 500, its safe at that and will earn you a few quid traded out.

11 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Thanks guys.

I will give it a miss. MOT inspections since 2012 on and off have mentioned oil leaks.

what did he want for it

surely thats more important?,that way you know if you can run with it.............. and you sold your xf

All Jaguars leak oil, they aren't right if they don't :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, as others have said, kick him in the nuts and trade it or SOR it and you'll earn at least a monkey out of it ;)

Back in their heyday I used to earn a fortune out of selling old Harry Rags to borderline villains / wannabe villains, they all loved an old XJ Jag !!

I once flogged an old XJ Carburrettored V12 .............. Pink, to a proper wannabe gangster in the mid 1980's IIRC he was one of the Courtney brigade :D

I'm sure in your old job you know the type I mean ;)

Edited by Dave2302

The phone will be off the hook for an old bus like that (if priced right).

Better than the dreamer with a PX last week. I had asked him days before for the reg, he turned up still didn't know the reg.

2006 Astra, failed MOT and EML on - how much do you want for it? About £600 - goodbye.

Sold the car the next day to someone else, full retail and they understood why I couldn't buy their 06 BM 5 with 140K - no issue selling it privately.

Interesting how many of you chaps on here swerve a p/ex rather than kick them up the gonads for it (not criticizing) ,granted a lot of the swappers are end of life but the worst thing they can say is no if you bid low on the better or unusual stuff like this jag, and obviously it often takes their eye off the other end of the deal i.e full price.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

Interesting how many of you chaps on here swerve a p/ex rather than kick them up the gonads for it (not criticizing) ,granted a lot of the swappers are end of life but the worst thing they can say is no if you bid low on the better or unusual stuff like this jag, and obviously it often takes their eye off the other end of the deal i.e full price.

Sorry, I should have qualified that a bit more:

When asked would you be interested in my car as a PX, I said.

"To be honest, you would be better selling that privately - there is still a demand for large diesel estate cars.  If you do really want me to take it, I could only offer you the trade in value which is just over £1,000, whereas you will get nearer to £2,000 selling privately.  Trouble is, I have to provide some assurances and a diesel with 140k is too risky at that end of the market."

They were happy to try and sell privately.

I know she does short trips only and being a leggy diesel, I didn't want the potential issues plus it was an SE spec in manual on a big 5 tourer. At a grand, I would have a go but any more and I didn't want the risk.

I have an 06 C220D estate Auto that came in px the other day.  Done 149 in darker silver.  Drives fine (radio intermittent) back bumper needs painting.  Have left it in the compound a week now as can't decide whether to tart it up or sell as is.  My Sunday guy gave them £1500 in PX for it so dunno if that's good or bad.  

10 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

I have an 06 C220D estate Auto that came in px the other day.  Done 149 in darker silver.  Drives fine (radio intermittent) back bumper needs painting.  Have left it in the compound a week now as can't decide whether to tart it up or sell as is.  My Sunday guy gave them £1500 in PX for it so dunno if that's good or bad.  

I think the customer robbed you

12 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Sorry, I should have qualified that a bit more:

When asked would you be interested in my car as a PX, I said.

"To be honest, you would be better selling that privately - there is still a demand for large diesel estate cars.  If you do really want me to take it, I could only offer you the trade in value which is just over £1,000, whereas you will get nearer to £2,000 selling privately.  Trouble is, I have to provide some assurances and a diesel with 140k is too risky at that end of the market."

They were happy to try and sell privately.

I know she does short trips only and being a leggy diesel, I didn't want the potential issues plus it was an SE spec in manual on a big 5 tourer. At a grand, I would have a go but any more and I didn't want the risk.

yeh i understand the logic, especially if you are retailing and don't want scruffy swappers mounting up on site, i've found it can pay too run their swapper through wbac online and show them the value, it sometimes swings it,if you can get your head around the wbac buying habit / cycles, these do change often depending on certain market factors.

just think some chaps on here are missing out a bit, i know plenty of indy retailers who are doing ok out of swappers, and with the job being tight it all helps.

Ha - probably right.  Luckily there's a good margin in what they bought.

5 minutes ago, twerp said:

I think the customer robbed you

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Try Maximus,he might give you a grand for it !

2 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

ebay, clean and sell, 1795?

Thanks chaps-I think that's the answer, when I can face looking at it.  Might make a couple?

I'd have bid them 400 squid for that C Class, then got it up to scratch and had a bag out of it at £1995

4 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

I'd have bid them 400 squid for that C Class, then got it up to scratch and had a bag out of it at £1995

Me too- well upto 800/ a grand maybe.  it's quite a nice old girl. Punter was v old and paid three grand for it a short while back.  My salesman is too soft sometimes but it's OK occasionally.  Good bunce in the WAV they bought at least.

Dave, the radio is intermittent. My sparky says 'it's f**ked' (as he does mostly with everything.  I said about a second hand unit but he said it won't work.

54 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Dave, the radio is intermittent. My sparky says 'it's f**ked' (as he does mostly with everything.  I said about a second hand unit but he said it won't work

In the C Class I assume ??

Could be the Antenna Amp if CD etc works OK, if not does it have Bose ??

If no Bose then likely Head Unit, but save yourself guessing, get it on SDS, (other machines won't do) as it may be a Fibre Optic Issue, may be Amplifier if Bose, etc etc etc, best to diagnose it properly.

Of course a used Head Unit will work, as will a used anything else (almost), I never buy new MB modules etc for my Cars, personal or sales ;)

But most Electronic parts on MB's (even with the same part number) will require the Version Coding at least checked on SDS, then altered if needs be, otherwise it's pot luck whether strange things might happen if it's wrong ;)

HTH,

34 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

In the C Class I assume ??

Could be the Antenna Amp if CD etc works OK, if not does it have Bose ??

If no Bose then likely Head Unit, but save yourself guessing, get it on SDS, (other machines won't do) as it may be a Fibre Optic Issue, may be Amplifier if Bose, etc etc etc, best to diagnose it properly.

Of course a used Head Unit will work, as will a used anything else (almost), I never buy new MB modules etc for my Cars, personal or sales ;)

But most Electronic parts on MB's (even with the same part number) will require the Version Coding at least checked on SDS, then altered if needs be, otherwise it's pot luck whether strange things might happen if it's wrong ;)

HTH,

Thanks Dave. Yes, CClass. I did hear the sparky mumbling something about ‘bloody optical crap’. He hates everything though- particularly German. 

Have a C70 at the moment too with a similar problem- also on the back burner.