Sign in to follow this  
XFS

Making a Comeback

I’ve been in and around the trade for...well to many years...since well before the internet anyway. My first mobile phone cost me £300 with £30 per month line rental and 50p per minute for calls...that’s how long.

Anyway, I sold all my stock, and I’ve been bumming around Europe for a couple of years, but it looks like Brexit is going to make that sort of life harder and I’m getting bored anyway.

I,m looking to start trading again in May. 

What has changed in 2 years? The main petrol cars I did well with are getting a bit long in the tooth. Alfa Spider, Alfa Brera, Audi TT Mk 1, and the others are in a higher price/insurance range than I want to get into ie. Jag XKR, Audi S, RS range.

Other than the above I did nearly all diesel. Audi’s, BMW, Jaguar XF...usually the performance versions. I love Jags, but would never have dreamed of buying a petrol XF. As my user name suggests my favourite is the XFS. Great blend of performance and economy and always turned me a great decent profit and minimal comebacks. Always attracted the right type of customer to. 

So, do diesels still sell? When does it all go tits up for diesel’s. How about Hybred’s do they do ok? Is there a market for Audi A4/ A5/A6 Jags, BMW 5 series with Petrol engines?

Sorry XFS,you don’t sound like a trader to me.You will need to prove to the guys that you are not a fake.

Do you want to buy an RS4 Cab?

Just now, MrC said:

Do you want to buy an RS4 Cab?

How did Z4 do MrC?

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

Sorry XFS,you don’t sound like a trader to me.You will need to prove to the guys that you are not a fake.

A warm welcome from our senior member.

Seriously though we do get a few "interesting" people come along.

Maybe there should be a test.

Can you tell us how to work out the Vat on a used car sale when it was 17.5%?

Or what is Artur Daleys middle name?

What is the torque setting on a floggle-toggle valve on a Focus 1.0 Ecoboost?

Anymore suggestions?

24 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

You'll even trip me with that one...Coates?

Seriously TV, what made you doubtful? Was it the 2 year bumming around or the unwillingness to stock petrol XFs?

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

Lol...looks like I have been a member here longer than you have. I’m not sure if I,m the one who has to prove anything :)

8 minutes ago, XFS said:

Lol...looks like I have been a member here longer than you have. I’m not sure if I,m the one who has to prove anything :)

TV got taken to school! lol

35 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

A warm welcome from our senior member.

Seriously though we do get a few "interesting" people come along.

Maybe there should be a test.

What is the torque setting on a floggle-toggle valve on a Focus 1.0 Ecoboost?

Anymore suggestions?

Is senior member a euphemism?

I can remember when VAT was 15%

Is Artur Daley Arfur Daley’s Polish cousin? I,ll go for Valdek

The same as the floggle-toggle valve setting on a Fiesta .75 Ecoboost, but on the Fiesta you must do it with your left hand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark101 said:

How did Z4 do MrC?

Stuck it in the corner of my unit out of the way, pretty much everyone who saw it commented on how nice it looks etc etc, and the more I looked at it the more I liked it.. So its now in my name with my Plate on it!  :D 

• Like 1

i thought xfs was a rocket from thunderbirds but then remembered it was firebird xl5

as for the question

there isnt a set answer or we would all be buying altos

look what is selling in your area depending what kind of area you live in

find out if the stock you need is available and reasonable

decide where your marketing budget will go to get your demographic

and wait for the influx of keen buyers to text skype social media you

in the meantime elvis has left the chipshop if you need something partime to see you through,the dreadlocks will have to go though as hairy bits in the cod is a big no no in the snowflake veggie eating new GB

OH AND WELCOME

3 hours ago, XFS said:

Is senior member a euphemism?

I can remember when VAT was 15%

Is Artur Daley Arfur Daley’s Polish cousin? I,ll go for Valdek

The same as the floggle-toggle valve setting on a Fiesta .75 Ecoboost, but on the Fiesta you must do it with your left hand.

I can remember when it was 8%, this could be a new competition :-)

4 hours ago, XFS said:

XFS,I have just checked some of your previous posts,so I have elevated you to an amateur doorstepper......Thats OK !

5 hours ago, XFS said:

TV....Wet fish slappin yer face Monty Python stylie.....  :lol:

Edited by Arfur Dealy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Sales Price - Hammer Price x (7/47) = VAT margin

What do I win? :lol:

2 hours ago, boring dave said:

i thought xfs was a rocket from thunderbirds but then remembered it was firebird xl5

as for the question

there isnt a set answer or we would all be buying altos

look what is selling in your area depending what kind of area you live in

find out if the stock you need is available and reasonable

decide where your marketing budget will go to get your demographic

and wait for the influx of keen buyers to text skype social media you

in the meantime elvis has left the chipshop if you need something partime to see you through,the dreadlocks will have to go though as hairy bits in the cod is a big no no in the snowflake veggie eating new GB

OH AND WELCOME

Thanks for the welcome...but I’ve been a member here since 2016, longer than most it would seem.

As I have not lived in the U.K. since 2017, having got fed up searching for suitable premises to expand my business, I sold up and moved to, variously, the warmer and more pleasant parts of Europe where I can earn a decent enough living in my other occupation.

I am now bored, ready to return and will resume the car trade in May when I return to the U.K, having previously been relatively profitable and successful. I am not an amateur or dodgy doorstepper. My business has always been legitimate, honest and run more professionally than a lot of main stealers in my experience. 

I know how to run a car business to a high standard and have the financial ability to do so. My question is simply in the main, do people find that performance diesel cars are still in demand with customers in the U.K. and has anyone found any demand for hybred cars outside of the city. 

Generally, where I am now, people are very worried about diesel car prices dropping through the floor over the next couple of years.

I will be trading rural and will be setting myself up somewhere central, north of London and South of Leciester. My target market will be the same as always. Sensible people with the wherewithal to buy without finance and who won’t waste my time. I only allow viewing by appointment and don’t deal with idiots.

If nobody wants to engage sensibly that’s fine. This certainly seems a less friendly and helpful place now.

2 minutes ago, XFS said:

don’t deal with idiots.

Aren’t you planning on engaging with the general public? :lol:

50% of the fuckers that contact me are idiots.

8 minutes ago, XFS said:

Thanks for the welcome...but I’ve been a member here since 2016, longer than most it would seem.

As I have not lived in the U.K. since 2017, having got fed up searching for suitable premises to expand my business, I sold up and moved to, variously, the warmer and more pleasant parts of Europe where I can earn a decent enough living in my other occupation.

I am now bored, ready to return and will resume the car trade in May when I return to the U.K, having previously been relatively profitable and successful. I am not an amateur or dodgy doorstepper. My business has always been legitimate, honest and run more professionally than a lot of main stealers in my experience. 

I know how to run a car business to a high standard and have the financial ability to do so. My question is simply in the main, do people find that performance diesel cars are still in demand with customers in the U.K. and has anyone found any demand for hybred cars outside of the city. 

Generally, where I am now, people are very worried about diesel car prices dropping through the floor over the next couple of years.

I will be trading rural and will be setting myself up somewhere central, north of London and South of Leciester. My target market will be the same as always. Sensible people with the wherewithal to buy without finance and who won’t waste my time. I only allow viewing by appointment and don’t deal with idiots.

If nobody wants to engage sensibly that’s fine. This certainly seems a less friendly and helpful place now.

Diesel is absolutely no problem for me - teachers et al worry about it but then again, they are trained to worry.

The only affect for me regarding diesels is that some dealers now refuse to stock and I can usually pick up for sensible money.  Petrol on the other hand has increased in my experience.

If you're rural, it will be many years until that community ignore diesel, again IMO.

1 minute ago, Mark101 said:

Diesel is absolutely no problem for me - teachers et al worry about it but then again, they are trained to worry.

The only affect for me regarding diesels is that some dealers now refuse to stock and I can usually pick up for sensible money.  Petrol on the other hand has increased in my experience.

If you're rural, it will be many years until that community ignore diesel, again IMO.

That’s helpful and makes sense. Thank You for taking the time to reply.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

The only affect for me regarding diesels is that some dealers now refuse to stock and I can usually pick up for sensible money. 

I will switch mostly to petrol buying in the next few months simply to capitalise on this craze for petrols in the Greater London area but diesel part exchanges will be most welcome for very sensible money. 

And my daily driver remains a Merc CDI of course. 

15 minutes ago, XFS said:

XFS, welcome back. I'm down in Devon so Diesel is still very popular, and I think it depends on where you are going to relocate back to in the UK. I wouldn't worry about it, you'll find your feet quickly :) 

2 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I will switch mostly to petrol buying in the next few months simply to capitalise on this craze for petrols in the Greater London area but diesel part exchanges will be most welcome for very sensible money. 

And my daily driver remains a Merc CDI of course. 

2 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

XFS, welcome back. I'm down in Devon so Diesel is still very popular, and I think it depends on where you are going to relocate back to in the UK. I wouldn't worry about it, you'll find your feet quickly :) 

Thanks Arfur. 

I remember from previous exchanges that our business models and attitudes are very similar in terms of how we deal with customers and I believe we have a similar attitude to fools and time wasters :)

10 minutes ago, XFS said:

Thanks Arfur. 

I remember from previous exchanges that our business models and attitudes are very similar in terms of how we deal with customers and I believe we have a similar attitude to fools and time wasters :)

Thumbs up emoji 

50 minutes ago, XFS said:

That’s helpful and makes sense. Thank You for taking the time to reply.

Only caveat isn't the demand it is the warranty claims, diesel always attract more - what with DPF, Turbo, Injectors etc but you obviously know all that.  Even for a clueless tech like me, a petrol lump is far easier to diagnose and fix but are generally more reliable in the first place.

• Like 1