Sign in to follow this  
MrV

10' Focus 1.6 duratorq cambelt

Evening all, I'm prepping a 2010 Focus 1.6 duratorq petrol which I believe is cambelt not chain because its the Sigma enginr, there's nothing in the service book relating to recommended belt replacement interval, it's currently at 85k. Am I mad if I sell it without changing the belt/pump etc? which to be honest would put a big dent in my margin if I did

Ring the manufacturer, find the intervals. If it’s very overdue then do it. If it’s only just due or due a few months back be prepared to offer half the cost as a discount off the car. 

58 minutes ago, EPV said:

Ring the manufacturer, find the intervals. If it’s very overdue then do it. If it’s only just due or due a few months back be prepared to offer half the cost as a discount off the car. 

It's either 100 or 120k, phew

1.6 should be a Zetec type with belt no? 100k or eight years -so due on time I thought?

Also duratec is a chain- Mazda engine(?) and not in 1.6 guise -was my belief anyway  

Best ring Ford mates to be sure. 

59 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

1.6 should be a Zetec type with belt no? 100k or eight years -so due on time I thought?

Also duratec is a chain- Mazda engine(?) and not in 1.6 guise -was my belief anyway  

Best ring Ford mates to be sure. 

This is a titanium NOA, apparently its belt as its a sigma engine

13 minutes ago, MrV said:

Ford etis recommends 100k

Cam bets are due on recommended mileage OR year Ben.  As in 100k miles or 8 years/7 years, 10 years.....Whichever comes first.

6 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Cam bets are due on recommended mileage OR year Ben.  As in 100k miles or 8 years/7 years, 10 years.....Whichever comes first.

OK thanks NOA

U would say- leave it. Servicing and maintenance is on customer anyway. All extra work I used to do on some cars was never really appreciated but affected my margins a lot. Revising brakes, suspension and other things that affects safety (wipers, lights etc.) should be enough IMO. 

1 hour ago, boring dave said:

all depends on the bottom line

+1

4 hours ago, Kes said:

Servicing and maintenance is on customer anyway. All extra work I used to do on some cars was never really appreciated but affected my margins a lot.

Well said. 

A cambelt replacement is usually the same £250 on a £2,000 old car or on a newer £20,000 car with a much better margin. You can not trade effectively and profitably if your prep is uniform and "regardless of cost".

11 minutes ago, tradex said:

Of course it's the same cost, but, if you are selling stock with overdue cambelts (I'm not saying you areB)) you need to be very, very sure of your customer disclaimer paperwork in that regard.

Should that belt go as a result of overage or miles you will be up shite street, be it a grands worth or twenty grand.

so what you do is look at the car

guestimate what smart  costs it requires

look at the mileage

work out that at 9 year old and or 100,000 that it will be easier to do it and cost that up and bid accordingly

or bid low and in your advert mention its less than other dealers but will require a timing belt in the next year

or buy it sell it the jobs getting hard and stash the cash in the china chicken on the kitchen table:D

8 minutes ago, tradex said:

you need to be very, very sure of your customer disclaimer paperwork in that regard.

There isn't any legal disclaimer that will get you out of this, it's just numbers. 

If I sell a £1000 car (and I sometimes do) I will NEVER CONSIDER spending £300 (a third of it's value) on a cambelt replacement just to ensure longevity. If the belt breaks shortly after that sale I will refund the customer in full and scrap what's left of the car. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

There isn't any legal disclaimer that will get you out of this, it's just numbers. 

If I sell a £1000 car (and I sometimes do) I will NEVER CONSIDER spending £300 (a third of it's value) on a cambelt replacement just to ensure longevity. If the belt breaks shortly after that sale I will refund the customer in full and scrap what's left of the car. 

Same here, cheapies I take a flyer on anything non safety related in the knowledge I will pay back monies if the worst happens and it snaps.

Same applies to house renovation - the materials cost more or less the same whether you’re restoring a £30k mid terrace or a £500k 4 bed detached in the right area.  I know where the smart money goes.

No cambelt change, I just can't do it with my margin, OK its over the age recommendation but it's not over mileage so for me that's enough

MrV, many punters maintain their cars but aren’t so good with the paperwork.

Tbh if the car ‘looks’ well looked-after it’s worth taking just a couple of minutes to pull back the belt cover. 

75% of the time you’ll see a fresh, or recent belt. Photo it (with the white writing visible) and advertise it as such. 

PS this usually isn’t the case with Golfs & Passats due to their big-talking owners’ double standards.

54 minutes ago, BHM said:

PS this usually isn’t the case with Golfs & Passats due to their big-talking owners’ double standards.

Another absolute classic lololol :D

9 hours ago, MrV said:

No cambelt change, I just can't do it with my margin, OK its over the age recommendation but it's not over mileage so for me that's enough

As Mark says- decide if you're going to take a flyer.  Just be prepared if the (rather) unlikely happens and you're in to an engine rebuild or such later down the line.

The belts dry up and crack Ben as they're only rubber.  Dave might correct me, but I've found it's just as likely to break on a very low mileage car at age, and this happened to me years ago on a Peugeot I think it was.  30.000 miles ish only.

9 hours ago, MrV said:

A Dayco kit off euro is £31 inc vat on our account.

You could always put one in the boot for the customer to have fitted by his local mechanic.

29 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Dave might correct me, but I've found it's just as likely to break on a very low mileage car at age, and this happened to me years ago on a Peugeot I think it was.  30.000 miles ish only.

Absolutely Agree, Low Mileage versus age is often worse than a well used Vehicle, not just belts either ;)

If you buy an old Classic barn find that hasn't been started in years, don't just put a Battery on it and try it, you will likely here starter whirr,  then if it fires up shortly after there is often a big crunch !!

Always turn 'em by hand first, then put a belt on before starting ;)

to mrv

never heard of a belt go on them though

1 hour ago, Dave2302 said:

Absolutely Agree, Low Mileage versus age is often worse than a well used Vehicle, not just belts either ;)

If you buy an old Classic barn find that hasn't been started in years, don't just put a Battery on it and try it, you will likely here starter whirr,  then if it fires up shortly after there is often a big crunch !!

Always turn 'em by hand first, then put a belt on before starting ;)

to dave

what the old 2.3 slant vauxhall where all the teeth turned into fibreglass mesh :D

CF Bedfords, Victors, Firenzas etc can't remember it's designation, but I used to moan about changing the plugs on 'em back then !!

Now, having done V12 Mercs etc, these days I'd love to do the Vauxhall ones on a daily basis :rolleyes: 

44 minutes ago, boring dave said:

to dave

what the old 2.3 slant vauxhall where all the teeth turned into fibreglass mesh :D

Here ya go, "OHC Slant 4" seems to crop up a lot, no time to read the whole article tho, ;)

http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/vauxhall---the-slant-4-engine