Sign in to follow this  
David Horgan

Customer valuation Experts

I know this is a topic that we all know about but these valuation sites are just taking the proverbial :huh:

Had a guy look at a car 4 times over two weeks , Carpet out , torch out , check list out , counted the keys , measured the tyre tread , rubbed the wiper rubbers, , checked all the lights , air con , washers , horn , interior lights :rolleyes: and more . 

Left 4 times and was the hardest guy to talk to I've ever met .   

Today he's back with a Parkers valuation print out :) " here we go I thought :rolleyes:

Cus ;Love the car , best I've seen out of 9 , can I drive it ? 

ME ; Looks like you have some Parkers info first i says , How you funding it and any part ex involved I says ? 

Cus ; well we all have to do our homework don't we , I've got an offer for your car :o from Parkers independent dealer guide +30% for low mileage= £4,836  " Its £5,895 screen  " and Iv'e got my car that I want to sell you too . 

His car is a 04 plate 200k Golf that needs a new Box .

He wants £1,000 for his Golf leaving a £3,836 fig to change , all written out on paper and hands it to me :o

Couldn't get why I said no in 3 milli seconds , Couldn't get why I said no to the test drive either after the discussion we had about Parkers , and valuing cars , told me he wouldn't budge on his valuations .

I told him £5,895 minus £145 scrap which I thought was generous :)

Funny thing is I've just sold it for £5,895 literally an hour later , So hope he rings back :D

If only they had a brain cell . Got no idea whats involved finding cars they like , Have double standards when buying and selling , 

Had another this morning  wants to px a polo that's very poorly , wanted £2,000 for it 08 98,000 miles no history knocking like a steam hammer . I'll sell it private he says and not let them start it till I've got the money , shouldn't of let you start it should I he goes :ph34r:

@David Horgan Mr H. you just like upsetting 'buyers' ! Can't understand you,customer does all his home work writes it all down and you slap him in the face! ! As you say they simply do not understand ANY part of how it all works! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

And everyone knows you’llhave Three grand profit in yours at least! ;o)

Haha 

I had to explain that theory to a guy who offered £1,500 less for a Honda type S a few weeks back :o

He didn't understand the concept of PROFIT and was thinking the whole £7,995 was money to play with :blink: saying I still had £6,495 so whats the problem :unsure:.

No idea where his wages actually came from :wacko:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Haha 

I had to explain that theory to a guy who offered £1,500 less for a Honda type S a few weeks back :o

He didn't understand the concept of PROFIT and was thinking the whole £7,995 was money to play with :blink: saying I still had £6,495 so whats the problem :unsure:.

Brilliant. What a moron. 

4 times?

He'd have had two viewings and be told no, FO by his third attempt!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, EPV said:

4 times?

He'd have had two viewings and be told no, FO by his third attempt!

/\ /\ /\ This

If I still lived in Kent I'd be banged up for attempted Murder by now :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 2

Hi David

I have to say that it is a shocking admission that you actually spent time with this guy.Forty years ago the rule was that if any punters produced a Parker’s ,you gave them short shrift......You must be good natured.

Oh and I had a very similar lunatic ringing me on a £10,250 C250 estate last week. He had a BMW X5 in chop, sounded nice, pan roof and 20" wheels, M Sport, over 100k on it but still, not the worst swapper I'd ever see I expect. Without valuing it, I asked what he was looking for out of it and he said "well, I've seen them going for £10,500-11,000 on Autotrader...." so I said well, expect to see around £2000-£2500 less than that as a trade in but please, let me have the reg and I'll do some research and come back to you with the best price I can.

5 mins research, an HPI check and I'm at £9k, so my off-the-cuff assessment to him was right. I call him back, willing to go to £9500 if it's very tidy and I have a good margin in the outgoing car so I'm happy enough with the deal at that price. I tell him the "good news"

"No no, that's miles away from where I'm at, not interested"

"Sorry to hear that, may I ask what sort of figure did you have in mind?" I ask.

"Well, I was expecting at the very least, you to offer me a straight swap. You have the profit I'm sure in the Mercedes, so it would make sense for you to do a straight swap"

"Ok, well whilst I can see how that is attractive to you it means I am having to value your car £1250 over it's worth and I have to sell two cars to make one cars' worth of profit" I state.

"No no" he continues, "you still have the profit in the Mercedes so you're not losing out"

"Hmm, well that means the profit from the Mercedes in theory transfers to your BMW, in essence, and that means I'm having to sell two cars, the Mercedes and your BMW to get my profit, the profit on one car, meaning I'm standing to make nothing on your BMW, which with respect, isn't attractive to me given it may take several weeks to sell your BMW, as nice as it sounds"

*3-5 seconds of silence as it dawns on him his maths is so bad it's embarrassing*

"ooohh eeerr...no but...errrr" he stammers

"I'm sorry we couldn't make a deal" I interrupt to save his blushes "but perhaps it may be better for you to advertise your car privately and give me a call when you have sold it and we can get you in this fine looking Mercedes I have"

"Yeah, exactly what I was going to say" he lies on "I will sell it privately, that's what I'll do. If I'm still interested I'll ring you back and make you an offer on the Mercedes"

Don't bother I thought.

I sold it on Saturday, full asking price to a sensible bloke who could add up.

I don't know how some people survive in the world.

• Like 2

I will give my speel again.

Here's the keys, there's the car - please have a good look around and if there is anything you'd like to know please ask, I will be in my office.  The car will come to you with a brand new MOT, a full PDI, a fresh service and 3 Months/3,000 Mile warranty, the price is the price - I do not discount but I do stand by my customers and the product I am selling.

Take it or leave it (put more politely obviously).

38 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Hi David

I have to say that it is a shocking admission that you actually spent time with this guy.Forty years ago the rule was that if any punters produced a Parker’s ,you gave them short shrift......You must be good natured.

I am good natured really , but seethingly hard too , Some people i can see whats coming " as we all can " so play it along ,as long as I am not wasting my time with him , All the torch and carpet play was on his own bless him as I walk off . 

But bring me those sorts of numbers and then the hard ball comes out , just for fun :)

14 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I will give my speel again.

Here's the keys, there's the car - please have a good look around and if there is anything you'd like to know please ask, I will be in my office.  The car will come to you with a brand new MOT, a full PDI, a fresh service and 3 Months/3,000 Mile warranty, the price is the price - I do not discount but I do stand by my customers and the product I am selling.

Take it or leave it (put more politely obviously).

hi

have a look round the car i will just find the keys for you and see you in a minute

go in your office

watch the body language on your cctv  for time needed to let them be happy and relaxed and more importantly their body language says they are genuinly interested

come out with the keys............... be jolly

control the sale

never leave keys in cars/with customers  as they put them in their pockets by accident and foxtrot oscar if not careful

Edited by boring dave

37 minutes ago, EPV said:

Oh and I had a very similar lunatic ringing me on a £10,250 C250 estate last week. He had a BMW X5 in chop, sounded nice, pan roof and 20" wheels, M Sport, over 100k on it but still, not the worst swapper I'd ever see I expect. Without valuing it, I asked what he was looking for out of it and he said "well, I've seen them going for £10,500-11,000 on Autotrader...." so I said well, expect to see around £2000-£2500 less than that as a trade in but please, let me have the reg and I'll do some research and come back to you with the best price I can.

5 mins research, an HPI check and I'm at £9k, so my off-the-cuff assessment to him was right. I call him back, willing to go to £9500 if it's very tidy and I have a good margin in the outgoing car so I'm happy enough with the deal at that price. I tell him the "good news"

"Sorry to hear that, may I ask what sort of figure did you have in mind?" I ask.

"Well, I was expecting at the very least, you to offer me a straight swap. You have the profit I'm sure in the Mercedes, so it would make sense for you to do a straight swap"

"Ok, well whilst I can see how that is attractive to you it means I am having to value your car £1250 over it's worth and I have to sell two cars to make one cars' worth of profit" I state.

"No no" he continues, "you still have the profit in the Mercedes so you're not losing out"

"Hmm, well that means the profit from the Mercedes in theory transfers to your BMW, in essence, and that means I'm having to sell two cars, the Mercedes and your BMW to get my profit, the profit on one car, meaning I'm standing to make nothing on your BMW, which with respect, isn't attractive to me given it may take several weeks to sell your BMW, as nice as it sounds"

*3-5 seconds of silence as it dawns on him his maths is so bad it's embarrassing*

"I'm sorry we couldn't make a deal" I interrupt to save his blushes "but perhaps it may be better for you to advertise your car privately and give me a call when you have sold it and we can get you in this fine looking Mercedes I have"

"Yeah, exactly what I was going to say" he lies on "I will sell it privately, that's what I'll do. If I'm still interested I'll ring you back and make you an offer on the Mercedes"

Don't bother I thought.

I've had that situation too , Are you not happy taking profit from the car I'm buying , its immoral to expect two profit.

Just now, David Horgan said:

I've had that situation too , Are you not happy taking profit from the car I'm buying , its immoral to expect two profit.

no one likes to think you are making a profit out of them its the british way

but

t if they dont mind you putting bread on the table they are always a pleasure to deal with

• Like 1

Repeated viewings are becoming a British pastime for timewasting dreamers & chancers viewing what they can’t afford.

They get 1 viewing at my emporium of shite, if they attempt to come for a 2nd they’re asked “Have you a deposit ready?” and when I hear the almost inevitable “No” these pillocks are politely told to do one.

It’s been a while since I’ve been quoted Parker’s but that ALWAYS led to a prompt termination of discussions. The sale ain’t going nowhere because at this point they’ve been ‘price conditioned’ and ain’t going to believe the big nasty motor trader.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BHM said:

Repeated viewings are becoming a British pastime for timewasting dreamers & chancers viewing what they can’t afford.

They get 1 viewing at my emporium of shite, if they attempt to come for a 2nd they’re asked “Have you a deposit ready?” and when I hear the almost inevitable “No” these pillocks are politely told to do one.

It’s been a while since I’ve been quoted Parker’s but that ALWAYS led to a prompt termination of discussions. The sale ain’t going nowhere because at this point they’ve been ‘price conditioned’ and ain’t going to believe the big nasty motor trader.

and the checklist from say autorader and then they start ticking the boxes:rolleyes:

havent had a checklist charlie for ages:)

bladdy great news:lol:

3 hours ago, David Horgan said:

I know this is a topic that we all know about but these valuation sites are just taking the proverbial :huh:

Had a guy look at a car 4 times over two weeks , Carpet out , torch out , check list out , counted the keys , measured the tyre tread , rubbed the wiper rubbers, , checked all the lights , air con , washers , horn , interior lights :rolleyes: and more . 

Left 4 times and was the hardest guy to talk to I've ever met .   

Today he's back with a Parkers valuation print out :) " here we go I thought :rolleyes:

Cus ;Love the car , best I've seen out of 9 , can I drive it ? 

ME ; Looks like you have some Parkers info first i says , How you funding it and any part ex involved I says ? 

Cus ; well we all have to do our homework don't we , I've got an offer for your car :o from Parkers independent dealer guide +30% for low mileage= £4,836  " Its £5,895 screen  " and Iv'e got my car that I want to sell you too . 

His car is a 04 plate 200k Golf that needs a new Box .

He wants £1,000 for his Golf leaving a £3,836 fig to change , all written out on paper and hands it to me :o

Couldn't get why I said no in 3 milli seconds , Couldn't get why I said no to the test drive either after the discussion we had about Parkers , and valuing cars , told me he wouldn't budge on his valuations .

I told him £5,895 minus £145 scrap which I thought was generous :)

Funny thing is I've just sold it for £5,895 literally an hour later , So hope he rings back :D

If only they had a brain cell . Got no idea whats involved finding cars they like , Have double standards when buying and selling , 

Had another this morning  wants to px a polo that's very poorly , wanted £2,000 for it 08 98,000 miles no history knocking like a steam hammer . I'll sell it private he says and not let them start it till I've got the money , shouldn't of let you start it should I he goes :ph34r:

David, you have the patience of a saint, you should receive a night-hood (but its different for a site). If they refuse to pay me a deposit prior to viewing they get very politely told to go looky looky elsewhere.... 

3 hours ago, EPV said:

Don't bother I thought.

If it was an old fiesta with 100k but had a newish mot and the customer was really nice I might be tempted to give them £600 and sell for £700 but a 10k Bmw!!!! What a tool

5 minutes ago, david gott said:

If it was an old fiesta with 100k but had a newish mot and the customer was really nice I might be tempted to give them £600 and sell for £700 but a 10k Bmw!!!! What a tool

Indeed. I took a battered Toyota Avensis Estate in against the same c250 and have £500 (£400 below below, it needs all sorts) and sold it on to my electrician for what i paid for it plus a free fuse spur. I am rid of if and didn’t make anything but it’s gone. But as you say on a £10k car it’s a slightly different story!

Gave not have 

6 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Haha 

I've actually said this to people "do you think we get these cars given to us for free then simply prep and clean them ready for sale?" 

Some of the great british public seem to think we don't actually buy this stock in, baffles me how stupid some people are. 

5 hours ago, Dealer said:

Some of the great british public seem to think we don't actually buy this stock in, baffles me how stupid some people are. 

PAYE men, the self employed understand.

• Like 2

/\ /\ /\ Yes !!

Thinking about it, I don't actually know of one of my Customers that isn't self employed, or retired, most with wealth, which accounts for almost no oooohs and harrrrs when they get an Invoice ;)

14 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

David, you have the patience of a saint, you should receive a night-hood (but its different for a site). If they refuse to pay me a deposit prior to viewing they get very politely told to go looky looky elsewhere.... 

I can see that working pal i really can , but they have the opportunity to just walk on site here so wouldn't work quite the same unfortunately.