Sign in to follow this  
Del Boy

Just received this text...

‘Interested in you Merc cls . I have a mini one with 30000 on what would you give me against this?’

Would you reply? 

I would reply with, when would you be able to bring the vehicle in for me to look at valuing it correctly ?

see what response that gathers.

Edited by Dan W

12 minutes ago, Dan W said:

I would reply with, when would you be able to bring the vehicle in for me to look at valuing it correctly ?

see what response that gathers.

Yep, or, ask him when you can call him to discuss the matter. I’ve sold cars over text several times but I wouldn’t value a px over text! 

• Like 1

I get a lot of enquiries about my windscreen repair kits by text, I will answer 5 each way so 10 in total and then on the 6th tell them to call me, some do and some do not, most do not.

These ppl only get one text from me ................. "Phone Me on ................."

Some people just love texting and dont like phone calls. Reel them in, ask for the cars reg,mileage,mechanical and bodywork condition and if v5 is in their name. from that you can say you can give them a reasonably close valuation.

people are strange, have had quite a few text conversations which I think are going nowhere and then out of the blue a viewing and sale is done. Always worth following a lead even if it doesnt look that promising.

• Like 1

Changing the subject if you don’t mind Del Boy ( not able to start new topic ). Merc punter story today from Tinseltown,not quite James Bush punter.Daughter of billionaire months ago ordered a new Merc G Wagon with every conceivable extra at 200 grandish.Apparently huge demand for these and it finally gets delivered.She gets the invoice for the balance and notices that the Merc Dealer has welded on an extra 30 grand described as dealers margin.So she asks for advice on Instatattle ( having 1 million followers) saying things like, should I just pay this extra charge, it is only 2 Berkin handbags etc .She is also posting all the dealers bullshit justifying the extra 30 grand because they have other punters who will pay more.I will try and get a link,it goes on a bit but very amusing,only in America etc.

this is trying to stay professional when you really want to be angry with them Its also a 1 in 20 thing i think, 19 people will give you a text masterclass and disappear never to be heard of again and then 1 of the 20 will make the purchase and will surprise you

just a mater of how much patience you chose to offer them

12 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Changing the subject if you don’t mind Del Boy ( not able to start new topic ). Merc punter story today from Tinseltown,not quite James Bush punter.Daughter of billionaire months ago ordered a new Merc G Wagon with every conceivable extra at 200 grandish.Apparently huge demand for these and it finally gets delivered.She gets the invoice for the balance and notices that the Merc Dealer has welded on an extra 30 grand described as dealers margin.So she asks for advice on Instatattle ( having 1 million followers) saying things like, should I just pay this extra charge, it is only 2 Berkin handbags etc .She is also posting all the dealers bullshit justifying the extra 30 grand because they have other punters who will pay more.I will try and get a link,it goes on a bit but very amusing,only in America etc.

Wow TV.  It’s a different world isn’t it?! Totally different end of the messer spectrum.

To be fair, the dealer could tell her to take her fake tan and shu-up and leave it Bianca & sell it to someone else. 

I’m comfused though- how and why did they list their margin?

On the subject of no edit button, like, button or ability to start new topics: Admin appear to be on the missing list lately. If we were a religion, we’d be talking about ‘faith’ now rather than ‘proof of the creator’ as we appear to be self regulated and maybe rightly godless. :o)

Some very good threads and topics since the last magazine, so I’m sure proof of life will be restored at the next publication. 

16 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Wow TV.  It’s a different world isn’t it?! Totally different end of the messer spectrum.

To be fair, the dealer could tell her to take her fake tan and shu-up and leave it Bianca & sell it to someone else. 

I’m comfused though- how and why did they list their margin?

On the subject of no edit button, like, button or ability to start new topics: Admin appear to be on the missing list lately. If we were a religion, we’d be talking about ‘faith’ now rather than ‘proof of the creator’ as we appear to be self regulated and maybe rightly godless. :o)

Some very good threads and topics since the last magazine, so I’m sure proof of life will be restored at the next publication. 

Right guys it’s  Instagram go on to dorothywang.....click on G63 story highlights   ( hope that makes sense )

13 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

I remember telegrams. No idea what an instagram is :0)

I am the same.I think I am probably classified as non digital or worse.

11 hours ago, Del Boy said:

‘Interested in you Merc cls . I have a mini one with 30000 on what would you give me against this?’

Would you reply? 

It’s a lead... ring them and sell yourself / services to them. 

• Like 1

I don't mind a text conversation, in fact - I sometimes prefer to exchange text messages than be bored for ages about how wonderful their car is and the only reason they are selling is because of "select which bullshit you want to put."

5 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

you are in the wrong industry if you do not no what to do with this SMS and are asking us

What would you do grant? 

I came back to this as I have just taken an order from a company in Poland, started off with text messages a fortnight ago, then went to email and more emails then finished today with a nice cash injection, lovely way to finish a week

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Del Boy said:

What would you do grant? 

Hang it up and look at it.

Once when i was working at a council i went to the building control team and gave a telephone number to the team's admin. 

Admin said "do I have to ring them?"

I replied "what the F are you supposed to do with a telephone number? Hang it up and look at it?"

1 hour ago, Screenman said:

I came back to this as I have just taken an order from a company in Poland, started off with text messages a fortnight ago, then went to email and more emails then finished today with a nice cash injection, lovely way to finish a week

I'm going to go against the grain on this one. About 80% of our sales are done via either eBay messages or text. I don't know why people don't ring up as much these days, and when it is, it's usually an older demographic. Not all people who message are time wasters, just different times now I suppose.

1 hour ago, tradegirl said:

I'm going to go against the grain on this one. About 80% of our sales are done via either eBay messages or text. I don't know why people don't ring up as much these days, and when it is, it's usually an older demographic. Not all people who message are time wasters, just different times now I suppose.

Yes you are right.

Besides places like facebook also have pre written messages which the lazy generation have to click for it to send for example

"Good afternoon is this still available?"

"Will you consider p/x?"

Such messages are pre written on sale pages

Besides texts are written evidence.

Text the guy back and ask if you can have more info! It’s not rocket science! I have WhatsApp on my desktop and I get ALOT of people contacting us via WhatsApp! I have done 3 finance proposals over Facebook marketplace messenger this month alone!

im sorry but texting is part of the job nowadays, if you don’t like it then you are going to lose a load of sales.

I've done lots of deals by text including part ex valuations, if it's misdescribed simply adjust when they visit.

are they not leading you if they text and you text and this continues, Its there safe way of protecting them selves from the nasty sales person who wants to sell them something.

Its been mentioned above, Call them and take them through your process, This is our full time profession we do it every single day, How can a Billy who does it once every 3 years be better at it than us