Sign in to follow this  
Pip

High road fund licence cars band L

Do you still buy the high tax band cars? I have a couple of band L cars £520 a year soon to go up to £540. Band M are at present £535 going up to £555 a year. I tend to steer clear of these but had two beauties I couldn’t refuse both 1 owner fmdsh and low mileage autos fully loaded. 

I think my problem will be these are in the bargain basement price range £3995 so only going to attract billies on a budget. I think I might be buying these two a Christmas card. 

Consider yes. Avoid, no. 

People who want a big old lurch or smoker or a bit of performance know hey have to ‘pay the piper for the privilege’. 

It probably still works out cheaper for them than spending 16 grand on a new Fiesta.

Some of these higher tax cars - especially auto- sometimes attract people on disability or whatever, where they get free tax. 

Yep. Got one myself. Done a few this month at the higher rate, all sub £7000 stock. 

If you can cope with dealing old boys and listening to their rants about the government with some casual racism thrown in there's still sales to be had.

14 minutes ago, Pip said:

Do you still buy the high tax band cars? I have a couple of band L cars £520 a year soon to go up to £540. Band M are at present £535 going up to £555 a year. I tend to steer clear of these but had two beauties I couldn’t refuse both 1 owner fmdsh and low mileage autos fully loaded. 

I think my problem will be these are in the bargain basement price range £3995 so only going to attract billies on a budget. I think I might be buying these two a Christmas card. 

Think you are right here at £3995 is going to attract billies on a budget. If they where £9990 people buying that price bracket not bothered about how much tax and running costs will be

Agree. For people spending £9990 on something with performance then it's all relative anyway. Chances are they would be considering something with £300+ tax anyway so what's an extra £200 per year (and not so noticeable now it's direct debit every month).

That's the way I used to look at it, and any extra cost on tax and fuel was more than offset by lower depreciation vs buying a new car.  I did go from one extreme to another though, selling an E500 (£500 per year road tax) and replacing it with a Mini Cooper D (£30), though that's because the MINI was the highest group I could get cover for a 17yr old on (I'd have kept the E500 if it wasn't for those pesky kids :) )

I sold a Cx-7 several months ago for £3995 and £525 per year tax. Could have sold it 3 times over. 

Monthly DD absolves much of this issue.  Punters for older, flash for no cash don’t give a fuck how much it costs, providing they can put it on the monthly along with their top Sky TV package and 60” plasma from Brighthouse.

these people now how much tax it i and as said dd solves this these days,o course if i cam to see you to buy it i would go off on a govt rant but  no casual racism ,,,,,,,,,,,,, (smilies not working here comp falty?)

There's a buyer for every car just depends on how long you want to sit around and wait 

I agree. Since monthly DD came about selling them is not a huge problem. 

It’s great to have a car registered just before 23/3/2006 though, the first reg date when £500+ tax can be applied to a car. 

You put half price road tax all over the advert :-) 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

I agree. Since monthly DD came about selling them is not a huge problem. 

It’s great to have a car registered just before 23/3/2006 though, the first reg date when £500+ tax can be applied to a car. 

You put half price road tax all over the advert :-) 

Just bought a 350SL registered 22/03/2006.B)

Trouble is there a lot of “unsaleable” cars out there because of this.

Would you pay £540 to tax a Chevrolet Tacuma 2.0 auto?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201812243465882?make=CHEVROLET&model=TACUMA&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=nr280ju&price-from=500&sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

16 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Monthly DD absolves much of this issue.  Punters for older, flash for no cash don’t give a fuck how much it costs, providing they can put it on the monthly along with their top Sky TV package and 60” plasma from Brighthouse.

+1

2 hours ago, tradex said:

OK on lumpy gear, but big tax on 'regular' gear is a kiss of death, PT Cruiser etc.

+1

A few years ago it was the death knell for a cheap car but now those who want the big or high-performance car accept they have to cough up.

Don’t waste your time with a Billy who’s first question is “How much is the tax?”. Just put the phone down.

• Like 1

Bought a '57 PT Cruiser 2.4 - Advertised as manual so £315 p/a, no problem...

After buying, looking throuh the pictures and can see 'N' on the dash.... Looked through the other pictures, not clear enough to see the gear selector or a clutch pedal.

Shit - its Auto. £540 a year... We're going to have this one FOREVER.

Very relieved when we went to collect and its got a clutch pedal.... The 'N' on the dash was because the car was facing North... Who the heck needs a built in compass?!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, D&M said:

Bought a '57 PT Cruiser 2.4 - Advertised as manual so £315 p/a, no problem...

After buying, looking throuh the pictures and can see 'N' on the dash.... Looked through the other pictures, not clear enough to see the gear selector or a clutch pedal.

Shit - its Auto. £540 a year... We're going to have this one FOREVER.

Very relieved when we went to collect and its got a clutch pedal.... The 'N' on the dash was because the car was facing North... Who the heck needs a built in compass?!

Sold a Volvo V70 with the ridiculous compass in the rear view mirror - telling what direction you were heading. 

Had a Freelander Auto that fell into the High tax bracket £515 then it was . 

Had it for ages till I put WE TAX CARS FOR 6 MONTHS FOR Customers all over the advert , One guy went for it Phew , He rang back 6 months later saying it was £515 " Budget :rolleyes:was the reply " Bloody government 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Had a Freelander Auto that fell into the High tax bracket £515 then it was . 

Had it for ages till I put WE TAX CARS FOR 6 MONTHS FOR Customers all over the advert , One guy went for it Phew , He rang back 6 months later saying it was £515 " Budget :rolleyes:was the reply " Bloody government 

Wow, what FL is in the band?

56 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

The guy we used to work for offered the same for a 2.7 Hyundai Coupe, sold almost instantly after advertising it with 6 months tax!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Wow, what FL is in the band?

Was a 2.2 litre AUTO surprised me too , worth looking up if you see one to buy or PX comes in 

Just sold an 07 Kia Sorento for £4500 high tax bracket, guy swapped a 107 in for it £20 tax,,,, bit of a know it all guy,  said he done his homework on google n knew all faults wot to look for etc but never once mentioned tax so neither did I, when he came to collect and tax it (yesterday) I just asked him for his debit card for DVLA online tax...... I await the scream when his statement arrives.... but he did say he had done his research ha ha 

• Like 1

A lot of cars under £1000 do have £300 to £500+ tax

Especially old autos 2.0l plus

You buy a 500 quid banger and then pay300 tax...

Might as well not tax it. If you get caught you get caught and just buy a new banger.

50% of vehicle value is tax?

People would be more alert about this but thanks to DD and this online system prices increase... DD bounce and they're clamped.

The UK is an offical conning country...if its not govt its citizens if its not citizens its govt

• Like 1