ExCouncilJobsworth

Warranty for home trader

15 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Just looking at the lawgistics sample booklet just wondering what people put in for claims limit ? do you use a percentage of the cars sale value.

I did one today £1000 limit of a 4k car. 

Just now, Arfur Dealy said:

If you are responsible anyway it's irrelevant / doesn't matter.......

24 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Just looking at the lawgistics sample booklet just wondering what people put in for claims limit ? do you use a percentage of the cars sale value.

For what it is worth - I do £500 per (each) claim limit - up to value if the car.

Seems pretty industry standard to me.

You boys are generous! We do £300...we do deviate from this though, it's different for each case.

£1000 per claim up to the limit of the value of the vehicle. £25 excess per claim. 

Around 10% of the vehicle value per claim. Typically between £700 and £1500. 

5 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

If you are responsible anyway it's irrelevant / doesn't matter.......

agree

I still don't understand this.

Tell a customer you don't provide a warranty, because the car's been serviced, MOTd and inspected, they think you're some shyster. Tell them they're legally covered anyway, they usually don't know what you're on about, and I feel that opens a can of worms for them to bring the car back in 30 days for some silly reason.

Easier to give 1-3 months warranty and hope nothing goes wrong.

36 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

I still don't understand this.

Tell a customer you don't provide a warranty, because the car's been serviced, MOTd and inspected, they think you're some shyster. Tell them they're legally covered anyway, they usually don't know what you're on about, and I feel that opens a can of worms for them to bring the car back in 30 days for some silly reason.

Easier to give 1-3 months warranty and hope nothing goes wrong.

just discussing this

i used to give an open warranty but it was abused

one bloke brought a car back because the interior light was intermittent on the door switch

next customer returned a car because a filament in the rear window didnt work

either give them a fair warranty or no warranty

it really comes down to what car year price mileage condition customer attitude how big the moon was last night

your in control so control

most customers when explained briefly about consumer rights understand the reason a £1500 has no warranty,if they kick off do you really want to sell them a car,i dont

As a home trader  i would not give them a warranty, just prep the car, mot it make sure its safe, decide on what your fixing and not fixing ie: if the air con is not cold and you are not fixing it tell them it is and your not fixing it and that as they can see your not a garage this is where you live and if they want a warranty go buy from a garage and if they are not comfortable buying on them terms you are not comfortable selling to them or buy their own warranty themselves online obviously in a nice way.

We always have the conversation about the fact i don't give an insurance backed warranty so there in none of this you did n't tell me.

Write down the stuff you have told them don't work if anything on the appropriate paperwork get them to sign it and get on with your life.

We all know that you can't take away the consumers rights but if you handle the customer in the right way you can limit your come backs, in over 10 years i have only refunded twice, one was a vw polo and the guy just got on my nerves so i gave him his money back and sold it to someone else for more and never heard from them again and another was a suzuki and on the way home a hose came off that when the lady was driving it home and she continued to drive it approx 20 miles and pretty much melted the engine on that (never seen anything like it) told the lady she should of pulled over straight away as she had destroyed the engine by keeping driving it, i felt sorry for her and we know if it went legal i am not going to stand a chance so gave her money back there and then, fitted a second hand engine and sold it to someone else (did not make any money on that one just about broke even)and moved on.

I will say when buy something i prep it up to the standard i think i need to sell it at the price i want and never skimp on safety related items and am not afraid to tell the customer i am not doing anything, have contacted trading standards several time about instances where the customer is trying to take advantage of me and have found them quite informative.

I will say i think this is the sort of job you are going to get a little bit of agro, it goes with the territory , i think if you are smart you can limit it quite a bit, but if you can't carry on when the fires are burning around you its perhaps not for you

3 month warranty on everything except SOR cars.

Cars in the area I self warrant 3 months and I'm quite happy to cover everything even exhausts. It's good customer service and promotes a good reputation IMO

Out of area I use 3 month Lawdata warranty

I have always been reluctant to offer a warranty, but after considering the Lawgiistics booklets and advice form Nik and others I adopted them this year. I’ve paid out twice, once on a water pump and  some other pipe thingy, both within 30 days and not covered in the warranty,  both I paid in full remotely no quibble as a matter of course. Both customers very happy, I would have done it anyway, but it shows the customer you have gone obive and beyond.....Both, non screamers and only £400 on nearly 30 cars sold in that period... 

Edited by Arfur Dealy
  • Like 1

Reading through this thread for answers and still unsure.

Still a home trader, might move into a small unit (alone) at some point next year if I work hard and smart enough.

Looking at ways to increase business in the meantime, and thinking about offering either self-funded (3rd part administered) or 3rd party warranty. I think Jason said tailor it to the car. So what do you do on a 10yr old, £4k car higher mileage car? No warranty?

Do you all only warranty newer cars?

We've had very few comebacks, and I think that's because people saw as just as someone trading from home and never took us seriously. Depending on the car we sold, we either said no warranty, or 1 month warranty. I always made sure to tell them that they're covered by the CRA anyway.

Now I'm thinking if I put 3 months/3000 miles warranty, it'll open up the gates for people to take the mickey. Or do I just put it on newer/lower mileage cars, and stick with no warranty on older cars? (Again, properly prepped and MOTd. I don't mean I'm going to rip people off)

What's the point in offering different warranties for different cars, unless it's a starship mileage £2k car that you give a month on just so people feel some sort of comeback.

Do a 3 month/3000 mile proper warranty, funded yourself and give people a warm fuzzy feeling. No point in telling people they are covered by the CRA, they don't want to hear it, they just want to know they have some sort of comeback. Get some sort of pamphlet, Lawgistics or whatever to hand out at the POS so people know it's just covering the big ticket items and not tyres and brakes and that will do you.

27 minutes ago, EPV said:

What's the point in offering different warranties for different cars, unless it's a starship mileage £2k car that you give a month on just so people feel some sort of comeback.

Do a 3 month/3000 mile proper warranty, funded yourself and give people a warm fuzzy feeling. No point in telling people they are covered by the CRA, they don't want to hear it, they just want to know they have some sort of comeback. Get some sort of pamphlet, Lawgistics or whatever to hand out at the POS so people know it's just covering the big ticket items and not tyres and brakes and that will do you.

Thanks James.

1 hour ago, EPV said:

In addition to this, if you use the Lawgistics Drive Booklets like myself it states very clearly anything related to "wear n tear" is excluded, this is a great tool because you are setting the foundations for realistic expectations.

3 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

In addition to this, if you use the Lawgistics Drive Booklets like myself it states very clearly anything related to "wear n tear" is excluded, this is a great tool because you are setting the foundations for realistic expectations.

The trouble is the average Billy Bunter doesn’t read or understand that.

Certainly on cars up to £5K the lack of any warranty isn’t a problem here.

I guess if you feel a warranty is gaining you custom then they’re worth it but very rarely am I even asked about them.

32 minutes ago, BHM said:

The trouble is the average Billy Bunter doesn’t read or understand that.

Certainly on cars up to £5K the lack of any warranty isn’t a problem here.

I guess if you feel a warranty is gaining you custom then they’re worth it but very rarely am I even asked about them.

Wish my customers were like this, to be honest I do too much just to get people out of my hair sometimes....... Too nice I suppose, even though it really cheeses me off. 

1 hour ago, BHM said:

BHM, I've actually never advertised cars as having warranty. I'm thinking though maybe doing so would help.

Maybe grabbing at straws though going off some answers on here.

If you don't offer warranty whats the point of buying from you over and above a private sale.

1 hour ago, Rory RSC said:

If you don't offer warranty whats the point of buying from you over and above a private sale.

Because they're covered by the CRA? But I understand and agree that I have to entice the customer, and a warranty among other things, might help do that.

Edited by tradegirl

55 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Because they're covered by the CRA? But I understand and agree that I have to entice the customer, and a warranty among other things, might help do that.

sit back feet up some old holbern  in the pipe and think about it

an offered warranty implies you have faith in your product are willing to stand by it and basically go over and above what joe bloggs down the street is offering

the cra is a minimum requirement and by saying it you are basically saying i will do the minimum possible required by law 

if you are running from premises and are established then people understand that a warranty can not always be offered dependant on price/year/mileage

if you are working from home then put yourself in the position of buyer and ask yourself what is your usp

if your usp is price only then dont offer a warranty in my opinion

however if you want transparancy in your business dealings and want customers to see you as open honest and willing to go an extra mile if needed then a warranty offered in the advert can give terrific peace of mind especially if car being bought for say a new driver

The lawgistics warranty booklet largely mirrors the CRA anyway so it's not really putting you in any worse position but certainly increases perceived professionalism. 

Where has my like button gone?! Many thanks gentlemen. You bring common sense back to me.

Now to decide whether to go 3rd party or self-funded.