ExCouncilJobsworth

Warranty for home trader

23 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

Warranty wise i hear are gold dust... I mean rubbish 

All warranty companies will refuse most claims so all of them pick up bad reputation over time. 

Why do you feel the need to give a 3rd party warranty, I used to stick to the customers consumer rights, dont count on a 3rd party warranty to pull you out of the shit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrC said:

Why do you feel the need to give a 3rd party warranty, I used to stick to the customers consumer rights, dont count on a 3rd party warranty to pull you out of the shit. 

I'd a agree with this, just put something aside each sale to cover "silly billies"... ;)

2 minutes ago, MrC said:

Very true Mr C.

I can also see the benefit self warranting for the cost of a £5 booklet.

6 minutes ago, MrC said:

I thought it would keep the hassle and agro to a minimum with silly billies.

What's the bare minimum you'd give?

I found very early on once a silly billy has been mishandled by a warranty company they soon become screamer billy. 

Dealt with right early on the silliness can be dealt with. 

I learnt the hard way, Punters have a "Warranty" and are under some kind of illusion its a cast iron guarantee that their cars fault will be fixed regardless. They get brought down to earth very quickly when the warranty co wont pay out because of _______. Then your already irate customer is back on to you screaming blue murder.    

I found life easier to stick to the word of the law, No more No Less

32 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I can also see the benefit self warranting for the cost of a £5 booklet.

Out of all the hundreds and sometimes thousands (not often!) of pounds I spend on each car these £5 are by far my best investment in customer satisfaction, customer service, legal cover for the customer AND importantly legal cover for me. 

dont offer a warranty unless asked ,then as said if you want then give them a lawgistics warranty

they've gone up though ive just looked

better blow the dust off mine then:D

11 minutes ago, boring dave said:

dont offer a warranty unless asked ,then as said if you want then give them a lawgistics warranty

they've gone up though ive just looked

better blow the dust off mine then:D

I thought by law you had to?

1 minute ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

NO. The term "warranty" is a guarantee in ADDITION to the consumer rights. 

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/warranty

Too add, a warranty could solely be breakdown recovery in the event an alien, more specifically ET from the movie farts on your windscreen and cracks it, all other scenarios are EXCLUDED..... 

If you are not required to provide a warranty, how long can the customer exercise their consumer rights, I sell cars normally around 10yrs old, surely they cant come knocking in 6months asking for stuff?

Edited by Firefighter Wash

9 minutes ago, Firefighter Wash said:

If you are not required to provide a warranty, how long can the customer exercise their consumer rights, I sell cars normally around 10yrs old, surely they cant come knocking in 6months asking for stuff?

Actually it’s 6 years in certain circumstances. 

Best you read the CRA or at least the relevant parts. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Firefighter Wash said:

best keep putting them fires out then :lol:

2 hours ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

which law ?

if you explain clearly and politely that there consumer rights are far better than any warranty, you wont have the hassle of " i thought that would be covered" and the endless headache, don't even consider saying 1 month engine and box, its so open to abuse, do you want to protect yourself or make your car seem more attractive is the question, to protect yourself, then service pdi, mot, to make your car more attractive then have a usp.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrC said:

I learnt the hard way, Punters have a "Warranty" and are under some kind of illusion its a cast iron guarantee that their cars fault will be fixed regardless. They get brought down to earth very quickly when the warranty co wont pay out because of _______. Then your already irate customer is back on to you screaming blue murder.    

I found life easier to stick to the word of the law, No more No Less

+1. Plenty of my cars are 8-10 yrs old. The last thing I want is for my customers to think they’re getting main dealer service.

• Like 3

On 29/01/2019 at 7:09 PM, Nick M.K. said:

Out of all the hundreds and sometimes thousands (not often!) of pounds I spend on each car these £5 are by far my best investment in customer satisfaction, customer service, legal cover for the customer AND importantly legal cover for me. 

Any chance I could send you £5 to get an example? 

21 minutes ago, CCC said:

Any chance I could send you £5 to get an example? 

if you are that tight why not photostat a warranty book you find in a car you have for sale

failing that go down a scrappers and have a route around

beware though if looking in triumphs or something that trunions and dynamos cut no ice with trading standards if you exclude them (winky winky my emocons arent emoconi)

Warranty is over & above the consumer rights. 

Consumer rights only protect the buyer for faults present at the point if sale. 

Warranty will also cover NEW faults up to a specified period or mileage limit. 

Give them a £5 warranty, you will not be much more exposed if you do. 

CCC, pm me your address and I will send you a blank booklet. Have a drink on me instead of sending me that fiver :-) 

they think they are getting a free maintenance plan as soon as they hear warranty

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

they think they are getting a free maintenance plan as soon as they hear warranty

i find that whatever you give them they always want more

so give them jack unless you have to

i tell them straight they have cra and i abide by it

the ones you want to deal with understand impecably

the ones that come in 3 's and dont want paperwork but want it cheaper never get anywhere with me,done the job too long...... see

7 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

CCC, pm me your address and I will send you a blank booklet. Have a drink on me instead of sending me that fiver :-) 

Thanks.

Appreciate the drink, I'll buy you one sometime. I suspect you're not that far from me (MK)

Cheers

I've always been dead against warranties, but I have become enlightened of the benefit of a basic self warrant, you can advertise "complimentary warranty", but only cover what you would be responsible for anyway with the added caveat that "wear n tear" is excluded... It makes complete sense. 

Not on bangers though......

Just looking at the lawgistics sample booklet just wondering what people put in for claims limit ? do you use a percentage of the cars sale value.