Sign in to follow this  
MotorNet

Facebook

Having spent over £30,000 advertising on Facebook over the past few years, I wondered if other car dealers/brokers used FB to market their cars and what experience have you had with it.
We had no problem getting the audiences, however contacting the applicants who came from FB has been a nightmare.

Anybody else seen the same?

I used FB for my other businesses before. The problem is that I feel like it just buying followers and likes. There are many followers and likes added every day, but not really see the sales increase. Maybe I am not doing it right, or maybe it just like that.

Edited by Lucas

followers and likes are not the way forward with FB, actually they mean very little apart from giving you a score. 
With FB you need engagement, the more people who engage with your posts, the more people will see your future posts.

To test this, go visit a random FB page and then wait and you will see it in your timeline.

I use paid advertising on FB, its difficult and expensive but can yield good results, if you havent learned about facebook pixels, you need to ,

feel free to message me i dont mind passing on some advice

Good to know that. Thank you.

No wonder hard to get a good result from FB. Please share more about FB advertising skill here. I think many of us interested in this. You know most of us here are mainly realized on AutoTrader ads. So, share more other options is not a bad idea. Thanks.

Using business manager for FB is the first thing you need to look at

installing conversion pixels too is the next thing, these are placed on thank you pages when people contact you from your website

a regular splattering of posts about cars and also the services you can offer.

you can target specific people in specific areas , example bmw's to accountants and vans to plumbers etc...
(audiences)

you can use things such as facebook leads ,where the visitor sends a prefilled enquiry to you , there is literally loads and loads to look at

my biggest tip is to ensure your conversions are setup so you can monitor which campaigns work. Generally BMWs and Audis work better than corsas and fiestas

feel free to message me and i can point you in the right direction.

We use Facebook a lot and so far, around 30% of our sales are generated from there.

Not as advanced skill wise as yourself but we do use the pages manager, target audience specific ads, engaging posts etc. I review our insights section daily and try and post at the most active time etc. 

We're in a semi-rural area of South Wales so we try and use that to our advantage with the social media stuff

• Like 2

FB is a gimmick and time waste. 

Must be mad to waste £30k on advertising there.

In the group selling pages and marketplace you get people asking for cars "£500 quid here cash need a good runner low mileage with MOT"

They want something very underpriced practically for free and come with a lot of attitude

So i dont know how any paid marketing will make a difference...

If someone wants to spend good money on a car they'd go to the main platforms.

9 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

FB is a gimmick and time waste. 

Most of FB is a gimmick, however some of the internals are not, have you ever felt like you have been followed around? (Remarketing)

Most of the worlds brands are on FB and for a good reason it works for some however i will agree its difficult to find the right audiences, some rewards can be made.
Agree about the £500 cash thing, however one group owner i know earns well over £100k from simply running his group... 
It all depends which market you are in I suppose...

21 minutes ago, RJEauto said:

We use Facebook a lot and so far, around 30% of our sales are generated from there.

Not as advanced skill wise as yourself but we do use the pages manager, target audience specific ads, engaging posts etc. I review our insights section daily and try and post at the most active time etc. 

We're in a semi-rural area of South Wales so we try and use that to our advantage with the social media stuff

facebook messenger and whatsapp are the best tools on there, speaking directly to potential customers is way better than having them trawl off to look at 100 cars

FB is a mine field just when you learn what works they change it and charge for it. All about interactions rather than likes, many are having it away on there for very little money need to build the audience and fully understand targeting / re-targeting etc. The IMDA did a social media masterclass and even some of the very advanced dealers picked up lots of tips to help them. Forever changing and the challenge is to learn and adapt and not get too carried away by likes or simply boosting posts IMO. 

Feel free to share :) ! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MotorNet said:

Most of FB is a gimmick, however some of the internals are not, have you ever felt like you have been followed around? (Remarketing)

Most of the worlds brands are on FB and for a good reason it works for some however i will agree its difficult to find the right audiences, some rewards can be made.
Agree about the £500 cash thing, however one group owner i know earns well over £100k from simply running his group... 
It all depends which market you are in I suppose...

facebook messenger and whatsapp are the best tools on there, speaking directly to potential customers is way better than having them trawl off to look at 100 cars

Utter nonsense.

Other brands are in a different world and they rely on the junkies and chavs.

Those are the kind of people that earn fuck all or on benefits and get £800 per month spend £1000on an iphone £500 shoes £600 on handbag yet want a £300 car pay no rent and expect the landlord to do repairs because they thrash his house!

Seen some of your other posts too and alarm bells ring... Jingle bell batman smells !

The first site genuine buyers look at is Autotrader, its the market leader by a huge margin. IMO, no point in duplication. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

The first site genuine buyers look at is Autotrader, its the market leader by a huge margin. IMO, no point in duplication. 

What he said !!!!!!!!!!

In our experience FB has provided us a great platform to promote our business, we are in a rural area too and it’s allowed us to build a following and awareness of our business, generate positive reviews, gain great reaches through boosted posts, and sell plenty of cars from. I can imagine the market place would probably be a waste of time, but that’s not the way to use it IMO. 

I wouldn’t be without it. 

Hate the new managers app though they need to revert it back to the old one!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

What he said !!!!!!!!!!

The thing is would you look there if you were not in the motor trade or old? I ask because I do believe autotademog will die soon just like all the other businesses that get too big for their jack boots.   The world moves on . People have attention spans of nothing,I pose this question to all of you in the trade,speak to a customer face to face  who is under 30 and by asking simple questions see how much they listened to you as you explained what went into the car before it was offered for sale,you will find most of the time its a big fat zero ,youkid yourself if automugged is no1

1 hour ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

Utter nonsense.

Other brands are in a different world and they rely on the junkies and chavs.

Those are the kind of people that earn fuck all or on benefits and get £800 per month spend £1000on an iphone £500 shoes £600 on handbag yet want a £300 car pay no rent and expect the landlord to do repairs because they thrash his house!

Seen some of your other posts too and alarm bells ring... Jingle bell batman smells !

you stick to dishing out leaflets mate and also placing adverts in automart ;-)  to your every shrinking marketplace...
Suggest you go and read what the manufacturers are saying about the market and where people will be buying cars in 5-10 years.. 

go speak to people who know instead of your grandma !!

52 minutes ago, NickGCS said:

In our experience FB has provided us a great platform to promote our business, we are in a rural area too and it’s allowed us to build a following and awareness of our business, generate positive reviews, gain great reaches through boosted posts, and sell plenty of cars from. I can imagine the market place would probably be a waste of time, but that’s not the way to use it IMO. 

I wouldn’t be without it. 

Hate the new managers app though they need to revert it back to the old one!

Works very well for us as well long live the haters more customers for me. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MotorNet said:

you stick to dishing out leaflets mate and also placing adverts in automart ;-)  to your every shrinking marketplace...
Suggest you go and read what the manufacturers are saying about the market and where people will be buying cars in 5-10 years.. 

go speak to people who know instead of your grandma !!

And you're here to sell people to your crappy services. 

Clearly upset hence the petty personal insults.... And in the UK we dont have auto "mart" Mr Americano.... :lol:

4 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

And you're here to sell people to your crappy services. 

Clearly upset hence the petty personal insults.... And in the UK we dont have auto "mart" Mr Americano.... :lol:

im sure we had automart in the 70s and 80s , my bad  

You commented on my post mr Ex Council, dont go throwing your insults around. Im not offering my services thank you ,,,, you clearly wouldnt understand anyway.

utter nonsense is your lack of knowledge about modern marketing... 

21 minutes ago, MotorNet said:

im sure we had automart in the 70s and 80s , my bad  

You commented on my post mr Ex Council, dont go throwing your insults around. Im not offering my services thank you ,,,, you clearly wouldnt understand anyway.

utter nonsense is your lack of knowledge about modern marketing... 

David Wow there, your website is false, no history, no personal detail, no company info, it’s YOU who should’ve justifying who YOU are.....  

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

David Wow there, your website is false, no history, no personal detail, no company info, it’s YOU who should’ve justifying who YOU are.....  

+1. It didn’t take long to work out this latest bullshitter.

Facebook marketplace is killing me..A dootstepper in a big city selling cars around 3k and under. I can't compete with them.  You've got the private sellers, and the dodgy trader.. No advertising fee is an open door to those fella's. My heart sinks when I see the price those guys are selling similar type cars.. Albeit I'm sure those cars can't be in as roadworthy condition. 

Targeted paid fb advertising is different ballgame.. Wish I had premises and stock to do this! Mark berwick motors Ltd ads are probably best I've seen . Sounds great getting a decent little motor for 27quid a week 

1 hour ago, Marc said:

Facebook marketplace is killing me..A dootstepper in a big city selling cars around 3k and under. I can't compete with them.  You've got the private sellers, and the dodgy trader.. No advertising fee is an open door to those fella's. My heart sinks when I see the price those guys are selling similar type cars.. Albeit I'm sure those cars can't be in as roadworthy condition. 

Targeted paid fb advertising is different ballgame.. Wish I had premises and stock to do this! Mark berwick motors Ltd ads are probably best I've seen . Sounds great getting a decent little motor for 27quid a week 

They hide mileage they give shit pics hiding damage... Hide number plates... No service history few months mot iif lucky and stuff usually has 130 to 200k+ miles. It's the E scrapyard

4 hours ago, BHM said:

+1. It didn’t take long to work out this latest bullshitter.

6 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

He's probably a fb promoter...he did say his friend runs a page and earns £100k... He wants you to say "oh yes sir i am a daft trader i trust you will ten fold my sales please can i sign up?"

Just like the crappy adverts you see on fb that say "you can earn on average £70k working in IT" oh of course with 0 experience...people sign up give their details and fall for scams...

Or the other good one you see is "thanks to all the winners from yesterday's iphone X competition we hope you enjoy your prize. To enter in our today's draw please sign up"

Fb needs closing down its a plague for children men women and businesses. The whole concept of fb is to steal your data and sell it on. In fact it even allows low level scammers to run the fake competitions too...

I agree with everything ex council says there are too many scams on there because people trust FB without question when as already stated it is so corrupt.

However I also have to admit that it is my biggest selling point and I believe this is because of the number of users and age groups are so wide, So I am not sure you can choose to ignore it.  Of course as with eBay and gumtree there are the usual suspects but just ask around how many people use the bloody thing and think if you could just get your car in front of that audience. The issue is Facebook  deliberately change the tools and format so you cannot become a master as such and therefore make more money than them, and we are back to corrupt system, but then does not every system once it’s huge become corrupt. Use with caution as always but I think it needs using in this day and age.

In this day and age its all about communication, nobody wants to call you like in the good old days and thats why facebook s so good for us, once they have seen the ad on Autotrader or ebay 40% of people will message us on facebook messenger the next 50% will call and 10% will email, for me facebook is like my business card but a lot more, people can check us out, see what we are about, we don't post ads about a car for sale we occasionally post a collage showing 6 cars that have just arrived, we're not about likes although we do want 1000 genuine likes (1000 true fans), customers that actually like what we do, not silly followers that are just waiting for a competition to come up.

• Like 1

I tend to use FB boosted posts to shoecase a completed camper, this is aimed at a target audience. Also do the same on Instagram, I'm more for brand awareness then selling a particular  vehicle. 

I spend around £20 per boosted post, The camper Im doing now was a result of Instagram.  

• Like 3