Sign in to follow this  
Elliot Fern

Have your say on health and wellbeing in the automotive industry

Hi all - My name is Elliot and I work at Ben, the charity for the automotive industry as a data insights analyst. I'd really appreciate if you'd spend a few moments reading the below and taking part in our survey!

Ben is here to support the lifeblood of the automotive industry - its people. We do that by providing information, advice and support across a whole range of health & wellbeing issues, online and face-to-face.  

Can you spare a few minutes of your time to tell us about the challenges that you have faced? Your answers will help us make sure that Ben provides relevant care and support to everyone who needs it, today and in the future.

Click below to take the survey

https://ben.org.uk/our-publications/individual-survey/ 

All of your responses will be completely anonymous and we will never link you to any of the answers you give.

We’d like to share the results of our survey with you.  If you’d like to receive a copy, please fill in your contact details at the end of the survey. They will not be used for any other purpose than those you give us permission for.

Edited by Elliot Fern

Hi Elliot

Income generation proposal for BEN

I have just done my own survey of the Ben financial statements.While it is an excellent long established successfull charity with its dedication to the care and well being of retirees,it appears that this level of care has extended to its directors remuneration.I am unsure why 12 people should be earning approx.£2m plus benefits to run it.I would have thought there would be many retired main dealer principals who would do the same job for a fraction of the cost.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Hi Elliot

I have just done my own survey of the Ben financial statements.While it is an excellent long established successfull charity with its dedication to the care and well being of retirees,it appears that this level of care has extended to its directors remuneration.I am unsure why 12 people should be earning approx.£2m plus benefits to run it.I would have thought there would be many retired main dealer principals who would do the same job for a fraction of the cost.

27 minutes ago, trade vet said:

with its dedication to the care and well being of retirees

12 retirees to be precise!

Edited by David Ayers

18 hours ago, trade vet said:

Hi Elliot

FFS. You couldn’t make it up, could you!?!

18 hours ago, trade vet said:

Hi Elliot

I bought a couple of raffle tickets for a 'BEN bear' at Northampton on Tuesday, feeling mugged off now!:unsure:

I sell 500 cars a year and dont make a profit, does that technically make me a charity??

Edited by BP Motors

19 minutes ago, BP Motors said:

I sell 500 cars a year and dont make a profit, does that technically make me a charity??

No. But it does makes you a lot of other things.

• Like 1

Off topic - Have just set up a lease with a charity for a new Evoque, I know it’s a client but when they turn over is less than £100k pa a company car seems a stretch to far.

22 hours ago, trade vet said:

Hi Elliot

So eloquently straight to the jugular....

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Contracts said:

Off topic - Have just set up a lease with a charity for a new Evoque, I know it’s a client but when they turn over is less than £100k pa a company car seems a stretch to far.

The charity industry is huge.I think there are over 100 thousand reg charities.There will be many like your Evoque Guy.What annoys me is a lot of them have the nicest people working for them voluntarily but the guys at the top get all the kudos and also  pay themselves handsomely......Beware of dogooders.

• Like 1

I have a big problem with charities in general.  How many of them have highly paid execs (I know because I had headhunters asking me to attend interviews when I quit my job).  Charity should mean charity, perhaps run by ex chairman and execs who have had a tidy living and want to give something back.

When I was 18, I agreed to put one of those charity sweet boxes on the counter of the shop I worked in.  I got friendly with the charity manager and went to his £1m house the charity were renting for the staff - that changed my opinion.

I am not going to get into the ins and outs but I am part of an organisation many frown upon without knowing all the facts - the point is the only charitable donations larger than ours are the National Lottery ones.  What do we get paid...........nothing, we all make donations ourselves.

Edited by Mark101

Mike Betts runs Motability operations earns £1.7 per annum 11 times more than Therasa May plus £2.0 millions bonus. 

21 minutes ago, DPF said:

Mike Betts runs Motability operations earns £1.7 per annum 11 times more than Therasa May plus £2.0 millions bonus. 

That’s the most profitable automotive business anywhere.I think their directors remuneration is several millions.Not many staff,few premises and they are sitting on £500m.I understand Motability Trading Co.only give a small amount of their income to good causes.I don’t know how true it is but I was told it was stated in their flowery financial statements that their remuneration committee were paid a collective £30k to agree their remuneration...It is a scandal.

The very word charity makes me shudder

Knew some one years ago doing that , lived in two houses , Cotswold Manor with 9 acre of grounds  and Jersey  next to the sea with two acres , say NO more . 

I give NOTHING 

3 hours ago, BP Motors said:

Perfectly normal not to make a profit in this job.In fact can anyone tell me who is making a healthy profit.

To quote a Tim Vine Joke, Charity work... I wouldn't do even If you paid me

54 minutes ago, Dan W said:

To quote a Tim Vine Joke, Charity work... I wouldn't do even If you paid me

That's brilliant - you should have taken the credit for that

25 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

That's brilliant - you should have taken the credit for that

I Really did think about it, but you know this bloody internet thing someone would have googled it and called me out haha

On 06/12/2018 at 3:42 PM, trade vet said:

That’s the most profitable automotive business anywhere.I think their directors remuneration is several millions.Not many staff,few premises and they are sitting on £500m.I understand Motability Trading Co.only give a small amount of their income to good causes.I don’t know how true it is but I was told it was stated in their flowery financial statements that their remuneration committee were paid a collective £30k to agree their remuneration...It is a scandal.

Breaking news,Motability have been slated by the National Audit Office.The CEO is going because of his £1.8m remuneration plus his £2m bonus.They have found that Motability are sitting on £2.6b and that they have overcharged customers £390m.I think Motability only have130 employees.How have they been able to get away with it for so long.

On 06/12/2018 at 4:00 PM, trade vet said:

Perfectly normal not to make a profit in this job.In fact can anyone tell me who is making a healthy profit.

Plenty I expect, I imagine they don't all shout about it. Still, some will always prefer the gloomy outlook. Misery loves company they say.